Need advice! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2021, 01:08 PM   #1

Name: matt
Trailer: Scamp 19
Texas
Need advice!

Hello fine rv community!

I just purchased a scamp 19 about 1000 miles away from me that I need to go pick up. I have a small problem and am looking for advice. My truck bed height above ground is 51". Scamp says 48" is maximum clearance to avoid contact. My current situation is that I don't have any resources where the scamp is located to do any lifting or mods to gain the clearance, So i am wondering if I can limp it home where I can then properly match truck and trailer with a lift etc.

I drive an 02 tacoma v6 5sp 4x4
Also, When the trailer tongue weight is on the truck bed, will the bed drop any? How much is common?

Thanks everyone!
mattyirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
I had the same problem when I picked a 19 up.
I had precut spacers, and took a grinder and cut axle loose. Jacked up installed spacers and had a portable welder finish the job.

Can you raise the ball height on the hitch? And set hitch at highest position?
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:29 PM   #3

Name: matt
Trailer: Scamp 19
Texas
That's a good idea. I'm limited on time and it's all going down on the weekend which limits resources. The ball will be pretty high already. I guess I'll just see when I'm down there.

My guess is it will tow out of level with the front higher than the rear. Is this dangerous at 55mph?

Also, hoping my bed drops a couple inches when loaded.
mattyirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:56 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
You just need to pick fueling sites with mostly level egress. Remember too widen your turns,
The trailer will cut corners.

Make sure you take tools, jack, tire iron, compressor. 1157 bulb, duct tape, zip ties, electric meter, test light. Stop by Harbor freight and pickup a set of magnetic trailer lights. If you don’t use them, you can return them.

Don’t for get your pillow and blankets.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:06 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Escape 17B (previous 16' Scamp)
Washington (dry side)
Add weight to bed of pickup

If you have load capacity, add sand bags or other weight to bed of pickup to temporarily lower it for the trip.

Jim.
Jallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #6

Name: Jodi
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
Mind of its own

Scamp 13 full timer living with Max. Max X fan is my in/out air remote controlled exhaust rancy roof fan. Max has a mind of his own. He’ll turn on or off or not even turn on or off when I try to use him. He’ll flash that little light all night long or open and close with no warning any time of day except if I hit the control button. It’s literally like living with a diabolical robot. I do use hand control to open and close but no fan. Sometimes it works with remote but mostly not. Any ideas what is wrong?
jodimckenna56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodimckenna56 View Post
Scamp 13 full timer living with Max. Max X fan is my in/out air remote controlled exhaust rancy roof fan. Max has a mind of his own. He’ll turn on or off or not even turn on or off when I try to use him. He’ll flash that little light all night long or open and close with no warning any time of day except if I hit the control button. It’s literally like living with a diabolical robot. I do use hand control to open and close but no fan. Sometimes it works with remote but mostly not. Any ideas what is wrong?
First try a fresh battery in the remote. If that doesn't help I'm going to make a wild guess that there's an issue with the control board or the rain sensor.

That said, I'll make a suggestion that you start a fresh thread with the problem in the title, "Maxx Air Fan Problems." That'll get more attention from people with specific knowledge of the Maxx Air fan. To start a new thread, click on the Forums tab and then choose the relevant category (Problem Solving/Owners Helping Owners seems to work for your situation). At the top of the list you'll see a button "Forum Tools." Click it and choose "Post a new thread."

Hope you and Maxx have a meeting of minds soon!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:32 AM   #8

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
I had the same problem when I picked a 19 up.
I had precut spacers, and took a grinder and cut axle loose. Jacked up installed spacers and had a portable welder finish the job.

Can you raise the ball height on the hitch? And set hitch at highest position?
Can't you just get a hitch receiver with a drop in it? which will lower down the front of the trailer.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Scamp 19 is a fifth wheel so drop stinger won't help . Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #10

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Scamp 19 is a fifth wheel so drop stinger won't help . Lee
ok thanks, now I get it.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Take trailer to closest weld shop, have axle cut loose and add 3” spacer. Resolves one issue and allows for higher capacity tires that are needed on a 19. Expect 2 to 3” drop in height when loaded with trailer
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote