Need advise on new converter upgrade - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 19 ft Bigfoot
Just got a small microwave (700 watts) for our 1986 19'Bigfoot trailer. I had the trailer plugged-in and when I turned the microwave on I could see the lights dimming in the trailer. I just had one main ceiling light on and the microwave on, nothing else (no fridge etc..).

I can tell that the microwave is pretty hard on the electrical system so I was thinking about upgrading the converter or getting another microwave.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Frederic
FredericL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
With a great amount of help and advice from the folks on the forums it was suggested that I consider Best Converter:

http://www.bestconverter.com/Magnetek-6300...e-Kit_c_64.html.

I did. i selected the Magnetek 6300 upgrade, 45 amp, and bought the volt minder, too. It took longer than they advertised but the directions on the site are quite straightforward and easy to follow and I did the change out myself. My converter, the 6300, was not bad to begin with but I decided that I preferred to switch it out as it was a two-stage and i wanted a three stage that would be much gentler with my battery and protect it more while boondocking. In fact I still have the old converter boxed up with all parts if anyone has an interest in it. The person at Best Converter was quite helpful and also asked some of my questions.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
John has the right idea, Frederic, but the wrong converter.

If you decide to replace the converter, get the Progressive Dynamics PD-9200 series from Best Converter. Just find the one to fit your application.

It is a much better design all around than the Magnatek replacement and it babies your battery.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Just got a small microwave (700 watts) for our 1986 19'Bigfoot trailer. I had the trailer plugged-in and when I turned the microwave on I could see the lights dimming in the trailer. I just had one main ceiling light on and the microwave on, nothing else (no fridge etc..).

I can tell that the microwave is pretty hard on the electrical system so I was thinking about upgrading the converter or getting another microwave.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Frederic
My other post didn't address your primary concern.

I doubt that replacing the converter would cure your problem with the lights. The microwave draws AC power, not DC through the converter.

If the AC voltage sags when you turn on the microwave, you're AC wiring is not adequate. That may be the wiring in the trailer or in the house (or RV park) or it may be an extension cord that's too small.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 2002 Ford Explorer 4X4
Frederic,

I have a 2002 Casita and had the same problem when the A/C compressor kicked in if I understand you issue correctly. My 12V lights dimmed.

The Converter which came in the trailier required a battery in the system. I wanted to be able to disconnect the battery and let the solar panel charge the battery, so I changed the converter and the dimming light issue went away. I used a Magnetek converter upgrade package, but don't remember the product numbers. Magnetek assured me the new system did not need the battery in the system. The old converter without a battery would put out 20 volts of DC.

After the change we have use a microwave oven similar to your message with no light dimming.
Elvin Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #6

Thank you for the replies.

Morgan,
I agree and it seems crazy but I can't see what else it could be. The external power comes from my garage which has more than adequate power, the line in the trailer has a 12 gauge wire and a 20Amp breaker all of those things should not be an issue. Now the only thing remaining is the converter. The external power goes to it and from there either 120VAC or 12V DC line. I am wondering if , being an old 1986 unit, the converter might have to be changed. I'll check the BestConverter site thanks.

Elvin,

Thanks, what you describe with your AC is what I am experiencing with the microwave. I guess I am good for a new converter....

Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 2002 Ford Explorer 4X4
Frederic,

You might want to email the engineers at Magnetek if your current converter is a Magnetek. They were very responsive for me and were not surprised that the the lights dimmed when the A/C came on. I did not use the microwave then, but have one with the same power rating as yours in the trailier now. That microwave is about half the power requirement as the A/C. I sure the engineers at Magnetek would give you their opinion as to the issue, converter or something else.
Elvin Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Thank you for the replies.

Morgan,
I agree and it seems crazy but I can't see what else it could be. The external power comes from my garage which has more than adequate power, the line in the trailer has a 12 gauge wire and a 20Amp breaker all of those things should not be an issue. Now the only thing remaining is the converter. The external power goes to it and from there either 120VAC or 12V DC line. I am wondering if , being an old 1986 unit, the converter might have to be changed. I'll check the BestConverter site thanks.

Elvin,

Thanks, what you describe with your AC is what I am experiencing with the microwave. I guess I am good for a new converter....
Frederic,

The current drawn by the microwave is causing a voltage drop somewhere in the circuit. It sounds like everything is sized correctly (unless you have a long extension cord) so the drop must be in one of the components or in a connection. You can find out where the drop is occuring using your digital voltmeter.

The 120VAC goes into the AC distribution panel through one or more circuit breakers then to the outlet for the microwave. The 120VAC also feeds the AC to DC converter but the converter should have no effect on the AC voltage.

An example of a component which can cause a voltage drop is a bad circuit breaker (one with high resistance). You can measure the voltage drop across a circuit breaker, just connect the meter across the breaker. You should measure no more than a volt (probably much less). Try checking the drop across each component (including the outlets) and you should find the problem. You're doing this, of course, with the microwave on.

You didn't mention the manufacturer or the model of the converter. Understand that the converter is causing the DC lights to dim. These old converters had very poor line voltage regulation. In fact, if you have the Magnetek 6300, it has no line voltage regulation and very poor output regulation. It also has no filtering on the output; it uses the battery as a big filter for some of the DC circuits (but not for lighting).
Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Frederic

Solved the problem.

As mentioned here in one of the post, the cord that I was using from the trailer to the house power was way too long....
I am now plugged-inn using the trailer cord and everything is working just fine...

Thanks for all the good tips.

Frederic
Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have used on of this converter on a camper before

http://www.outsidesupply.com/index.asp?Pag...D&ProdID=62

I have also used the Xantrex True Charge 20. Both worked Well, Although I needed the brains for the first one. I have also used the Magnetek and have liked other brands better. Usually a little higher end.
Mike Forcade is offline   Reply With Quote