Need Burro Window Specs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Burro (aka Frankeggstein's Monster)
We're trying to replace the windows in our '98 burro, starting with the front window. We have no idea what the original sizes were. We also need to know the wall thickness. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks!!
Kelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
I am replacing a side window in my burro. There was previously an air conditioner there and the PO took it out and jury-rigged a plexiglas replacement that leaks considerably! After looking at several window sites, I followed the instructions for measuring and removed the inner clamp ring without disturbing the outer window and seal. That allowed me to measure the true rough opening and the thickness. I came up with 24.5 in wide by 19.5 in high, 3 in radius and 1/8 to 3/16in thickness. I am not sure this is the standard opening because it looks like the opening was not factory, but maybe cut out to remove the AC. I ordered a crank-out window from Callen campers in San Diego (El Cajon) for $100 + $25 shipping, custom made to my measurements. It hasn't arrived yet, so I will have more info on installation in future.

After measuring I put back the clamp ring back. It is too wide and not a great fit, but apparently some of the screws were loose before because now it leaks a little bit less!
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Burro (aka Frankeggstein's Monster)
Quote:
I am replacing a side window in my burro. There was previously an air conditioner there and the PO took it out and jury-rigged a plexiglas replacement that leaks considerably! After looking at several window sites, I followed the instructions for measuring and removed the inner clamp ring without disturbing the outer window and seal. That allowed me to measure the true rough opening and the thickness. I came up with 24.5 in wide by 19.5 in high, 3 in radius and 1/8 to 3/16in thickness. I am not sure this is the standard opening because it looks like the opening was not factory, but maybe cut out to remove the AC. I ordered a crank-out window from Callen campers in San Diego (El Cajon) for $100 + $25 shipping, custom made to my measurements. It hasn't arrived yet, so I will have more info on installation in future.

After measuring I put back the clamp ring back. It is too wide and not a great fit, but apparently some of the screws were loose before because now it leaks a little bit less!
Thanks for your reply.
I wish I could see the true opening, the PO did a fancy job of replacing all of the windows with smaller windows & plywood! He used two pieces which were larger than the opening for each window, screwing them together through the opening, and the opening is supposed to be untouched. He then sealed all of the edges to the fiberglass. Somewhere floating around under there is our window well. I'm hoping we don't have to take it apart to measure, because while the current job is ugly, it's fully functional, no leaks.
I'm about to guess on sizing & order a front window, that's the biggest eyesore, no window, just plywood with a window a/c... but I don't know the wall thickness for the trim ring, the site says it's between 3/8" & 2 1/2", and yours is much thinner. Hmm.
Hmmm.

Good luck with your new window! I look forward to seeing your upcoming installation.
Kelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
After I posted the reply I remembered seeing your post with the story of how you got this egg! Then I realized that your window situation was definitely different than mine!! I considered that trailer when I was shopping as it is within driving distance, but the e-mail response I got was quite vague and I decided I should get a smaller trailer for my first attempt. Now that you cite the thickness of 3/8 in plus, I am nervous that I may have measured wrong! But the window opening that I am repairing is such a ragged cut-out that I may have to glass in the edges anyway. I plan to post pictures of the process when I get to start. Keep us posted with the progress on your restore. At least it doesn't leak!
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro