Need easy up no bugs screen room - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #21

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
After attending several FGRV rallies and experiencing friends CLAM at them, we ordered one the other day, along with a propane portable firepit. While camping along the Southern Utah Tour, there were windy and cold nights, along with fire bans except for propane fires, so everyone retreated to their various trailers because no one had shelter from the wind that others could join them in.
Another friend hosts a campground at high altitude, and has lost several other brand shelters to the high winds, but after they sprung for a Clam (which survived 70mph winds), they stated that they would never purchase any other brand.
Dave & Paula
WOW Dave and Paula! Now that's a testimonial.
It sure gets windy along the coast of the Gulf for sure.
Summer storms for at least 1 hr a day are par for the course.

How big is the puppy folded up and how hard is it for the setup/takedown I wonder? Let us know how you like yours.
Did you order it on Amazon?

Going to check on eBay too in a bit. They may have them less expensive than Amazon.

Like the idea with the weather flaps the interior shouldn't get wet.
Probably will buy the tan Clam and put in a grommeted together flooring.

Need to keep the ants out. I think that is what blistered me or monster mosquitos.

DH too had a suggestion... during our popup years we used ricemats laid side by side under the awning. Bet that would work fine inside a Clam. Problem w/ rice mats you have to weigh the corners down. We used citronella buckets for that. Obvious problem is tripping over them. They too would benefit w/ grommets so we don't trip on the edges from one to another. Rice mats are handy to make into any configuration and they roll up into a round bundle easily closed with a small bungee.

This is war bugs! And your time feeding off of us is numbered!

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:18 AM   #22

Tennessee
Clam Shelters on eBay

Here is a search on eBay for "Clam shelters"
clam shelters | eBay

Price varies widely. Check for seller's feedback and shipping costs if any.
Probably will get one here. Have both roundish, square and green or tan.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:08 AM   #23

Tennessee
Clam Shelters with Weather Flaps on eBay

First Clam Shelter on eBay was without the weather flaps (so less expensive)

Here is the search for Clam Shelters with Weather Flaps.
Will probably spring for this option since it is so rainy for at least 1 cloud burst in FL per day.

Will keep the flooring and contents (2 - 0 Gravity Recliners + margarita / reading tables.) drier hopefully

Clam Shelter with weather flaps
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=clam+shelt er+flap&_sop=15

Clam Claims:

The Quick-Set Escape is the original six-sided screen shelter (formerly known as the 1660 Six Pack Screen Shelter) that started the Quick-Set Series. It revolutionized the way outdoor enthusiasts battled bugs and Mother Nature while camping, at backyard gatherings etc. Ready to use out of the box, no assembly and it takes only 45 seconds to set up. Features no see-um mesh and the extra wide skirt will keep all the bugs out! Includes oversized carry bag with shoulder straps. Perfect for camping, picnics, family gatherings or for sporting events. For additional protection from sun, wind and rain purchase the wind panel accessories. Color: brown/beige. SOR-90-245 Fire retardant compliant in the U.S.A. and Canada.

- Sets up in 45 seconds, Ready to use right out of the box, no assembly required
- Fits standard size picnic table inside, Triple layer corner pole pockets
- No-see-um mesh screen, Water resistant roof with taped seams
- Includes six deluxe tent stakes and tie down ropes
- Includes oversized carry bag, Pack size: 72" x 8" x 8"
- Rain flaps detour rain over wind/rain panels (sold separately)

Sort: Price + Shipping: lowest first
Gallery view clam shelter flap:
Items in search results

Old 06-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #24

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
WOW Dave and Paula! Now that's a testimonial.

Need to keep the ants out. I think that is what blistered me or monster mosquitos.

This is war bugs! And your time feeding off of us is numbered!
Just a suggestion, but I have heard that used coffee grounds work to keep ants away. If you have coffee every morning then you'll definitely have ample supply. I think my parents use paprika or cayenne pepper at their cabin. maybe you can try to sprinkle a little around the base of the shelter.

I am very picky about the screen room I want. I need to find one with the rain flaps but I don't want to be closed off to the world when they are down. Plus, I think I would feel too cooped up. Looking for one with plastic windows built into them. It's nice to see what's going on around me.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #25

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Ontario
Registry
We were having problems with no-see-ums and blackflies getting in our pop-up shelter until I thoroughly sprayed the screens with pyrethrum (permethrin) and let it dry. It is very effective and lasts a couple of weeks. It is used to treat malaria sleeping nets and considered safe if handled properly.
Backwater Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #26

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboler View Post
Just a suggestion, but I have heard that used coffee grounds work to keep ants away. If you have coffee every morning then you'll definitely have ample supply. I think my parents use paprika or cayenne pepper at their cabin. maybe you can try to sprinkle a little around the base of the shelter.

I am very picky about the screen room I want. I need to find one with the rain flaps but I don't want to be closed off to the world when they are down. Plus, I think I would feel too cooped up. Looking for one with plastic windows built into them. It's nice to see what's going on around me.
I will certainly take your suggestions. I was going to put something around the base of the tent as the little boogers will get in the gap between the shelter tent and the flooring. Insidious.

Let us know how the screen room turns out. The comments I read on the people who have purchased a Clam are very positive.
I just hope it is as easy as claimed to put up and take down.

Time yourselves both directions please. Do your own time-motion study. A person here gave an excellent tip always keep the directions with any item. The screened in room from hades we used clear packing tape to "laminate it" and kept it with the screened in room. The carry case appears to have a portion to store the directions.

I know what you mean about flaps down. Would only use when the weather turns bum. Then retreat to the Oliver until it blows over. Will be good if it works as advertised to keep the contents dry

OK Ants or whatever bit me this is war!

OH I happen to just think of something...

Terro (small clear liquid bottle you can get at Home Depot)
that has Boron in it. Been sweetened and the ants flock to it.
They go swimming in the bottle cap. Get drunk on the elixir than stagger back to the hole and kill their friends and die.
Quite satisfying knowing we are killing the colony.

Revenge can be ours! Ants this is war!
You too mosquitos and sweat bees!
NoSeeUms. No feel you again.
Praying...

Warrior on intrepid egg people, warrior on.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #27

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
We've had the Clam for over a year and love it. We also bought the optional rain/wind flaps but haven't used them yet, they cover five of the six sides (not the door side.) While it is kind of heavy, it's made of heavy material and is quite durable. When packed, it fits in the bed of my pick up (6' bed). Some folks have made a shelf that holds the Clam above the wheel well, I may do this as well.

It really does set up easy, I'm sure you've seen the video. Takes a bit longer to take down, but not bad.

We've used it in heavy rain, but unless there's a strong wind not much rain comes in through the screens.

The screens do keep the no-see-ums out. However, the fine mesh also kills the breeze. We bring a fan if it's hot.

We leave the bikes, grill and lawn chairs inside when we're away from the campsite, as it keeps them dry and less visible.

It's not cheap, but you may be able to find one on sale, I know Walmart and a few other retailers carry them. Occasionally one will show up used on Craigslist or one of the camper forums.

Don't really mind the ants as long as they're not fire ants. You can mix up a sugar and borax solution and make a Terro-like ant bait that works well but it takes a few days.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #28

Manitoba
I found a video on the set up and take down of the clam. Easiest I have ever seen. Literally minutes, tear down included. That would be my choice if the flaps had windows.
Right now I have a 13 x 15 Broadstone and I thought that was the easiest tent to set up and take down. Just unfold, extend the legs, few clips for the frame and stake down.
Attached Thumbnails
001 (4).jpg   004 (2).jpg  

Old 06-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
The rain and wind panels use Velcro attachments. What I do is fold one corner under itself at a couple of the panels. You then have a screen in window that you let light in. It works, but i think the new panels have window as an option. Carl
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:46 PM   #30

Manitoba
I'll definitely look into those other panels. Thanks Carl!!
Old 06-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #31

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
If you are on shore power in warm weather (such as Florida this time of year) then a good box fan with a good strong air flow can help keep the bugs off you also.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #32

Tennessee
OH Boy!

Someone who has a Clam.
Thank you so much for responding!
This will help us all contemplating getting one.
Didn't think about the screening blocking breeze.
The fan tip is important.
About how long for setup and takedown?
Glad to hear it is fairly simple.

I have no idea what bit me to leave the grouping of weltish blisters.
Don't know if it was fire ants or some bug I was allergic to.
Have about 5 areas on my legs.
Quite itchy and formed a hard lump with fluid.
Uncomfortable enough to spend to avoid whatever it was.

True the Terro is not instantaneous but it does work.
There is a great satisfaction that we can take out the whole colony though.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #33

Tennessee
Non-Clam Shelter The Broadstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboler View Post
I found a video on the set up and take down of the clam. Easiest I have ever seen. Literally minutes, tear down included. That would be my choice if the flaps had windows.
Right now I have a 13 x 15 Broadstone and I thought that was the easiest tent to set up and take down. Just unfold, extend the legs, few clips for the frame and stake down.
Thank you so much for your response!

Broadstone Search:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=broadstone...er&t=h_&ia=web

Hey here we go folks.
This is a lot less expensive than the Clam. (By at least 1/2)

As indicated it's lighter and easy to put up and take down.
Not for weather protection but performs function of protecting from bugs.
Appears to have enough room.
Says about 5 minutes on setup and takedown.

This link is good to check it out but they no longer carry it. Has pictures, video, and reviews. Make sure you read all the reviews.

Broadstone Easy-Up™ Shelter, 15 x 13-ft | Canadian Tire

Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #34

Tennessee
Very true a box fan is a great thing.
Keeps off bugs some and provides breeze.

Looks like anything that has NoSeeUm netting blocks the FL Gulf Breeze.
That's a downside it seems of the Clam and other anti-bug shelters.
Thanks for those telling about the breeze blocking with shelters.

Here we go again though with more plunder.
Hoping to avoid hauling a buncha stuff like the ole Coleman Tent Trailer days.

Downside of the Clam is its weight and appears to be long folded up.

Again plunder just adds to the weight of hauling. I can see how the more we add especially those of you who haul with an SUV on the smaller eggs must be weight conscience.

Bugs we will defeat you just watch!

Definitely check out the Broadstone if anti-bug is your priority.
Upside of Clam is it provides rain shelter too if you spring for the more expensive w/ weather flaps.

Use DuckDuckGo as your only search browser and dump Google who is not reliable and tracks us.

https://www.duckduckgo.com

Excellent idea too mentioned was keep an eye out on Craigslist for Clams to knock down that price plus you can meet with the owner and examine for yourselves if Clam is for you.

This is a very useful thread and I thank profusely all who have taken their time to respond. This forum is friendly and very helpful! Thank you to Fiberglass Forum!

This is war bugs! Warrior on Egg people!

Old 06-02-2017, 11:18 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
OH Boy!

True the Terro is not instantaneous but it does work.
There is a great satisfaction that we can take out the whole colony though.
Best hope there is not another entity in the universe that finds molded fiberglass trailers a pest..
Old 06-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #36

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I find the four - sided Clam to be more than adequate for a single or couple traveling. Plenty of room for two lounge chairs fully reclined with a small table and ice chest. Also room for a small four foot folding table for eating/cooking.

I've had mine for about six months now, used it extensively in Florida this past winter. Holds up to pretty strong winds much better than other shelters I've tried.

I place one of the patio mats under it, extending to the door of my scamp. I then set the Clam up on top of the mat. Gives me a nice, clean walk between the Scamp and the Clam. I replaced the stakes that came with the clam with round, spike type. These stakes penetrate right through the mat with very little, if any, damage to the mat. The original plastic stakes did do some damage.

One caution, though the Clam is very easy and fast to set up and take down, it's not quite as easy as the videos show for a single person. The sides are no problem, once you get the hang of it, but lifting the roof section can be tricky. The entire shelter just lifts up when you try to tension the roof. The trick, for one-man setting up, is to tension the sides, then stake down the four corners. You can then tension the roof without dancing all around the campsite, putting on a show for your neighbors.

I got the side panels, but have not used them. The roof is not entirely waterproof, so not an ideal rain shelter. I may spray the roof with a tent water proofing spray this year to see if that helps. I do like to sit outside during a storm.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #37

Tennessee
Wow thank you for this Lyle.
Good to know.

Still have to get any purchase approved by the chief camper, DH.
I will be paying for this myself hmmm....

I see the weight thing a major whining point
I have a hot fl*sh fan that is compact but very powerful I got from WalMart.
Maybe that can be smuggled.
I want to order something (DH approved) around June 15.

Anything to counter the it weighs too much argument?

On the flaps people could try creating grommets / plastic "rice mats" to roll up.
That ought to reduce the weight (and cost) of the Clam which can be bought less expensively without the flaps.

Love "rice mats" so useful for "patios".
Can be rolled up in one compact roll and secured by a small bungee cord.
Would fit into the "basement" of most of our eggs.

The grommet kit will at least be ordered June 15 or so I was told...

Old 06-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #38

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 2001
Florida camping

[QUOTE=Oliver_Elite2;642513]Bugs love me. Just came back from FL and was eaten up once again.

Good luck in your quest for a suitable screen house. I'm following the thread with interest, we also need to replace our free-standing enclosure (a well-used Gander Mountain model).
Sounds as if you are super sensitive to insect bites. Note of advisement; practice avoidance of clumps of Spanish moss (old man's beard) lying on the ground. The vegetation can harbor chiggers (aka red bugs) . Their "bite" results in a nasty skin reaction when you come in contact with them. They're also found in tall grass areas.
Hope you have an enjoyable trip on your next time out and about.
Deb
Deb&Sam D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #39

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Ant bites

Just a quick aside -- My Mom got stung by fire ants once, sprayed it immediately with spray Bactine (all we had in the car) and the bites never developed the blisters they usually do. . .

Just thought I'd share this.
in the Abel Egg, 2011 EggCamper #101
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #40

Tennessee
Chiggers! War!

[QUOTE=Deb&Sam D.;642940]
Quote:
Bugs love me. Just came back from FL and was eaten up once again.

Sounds as if you are super sensitive to insect bites. Note of advisement; practice avoidance of clumps of Spanish moss (old man's beard) lying on the ground. The vegetation can harbor chiggers (aka red bugs) . Their "bite" results in a nasty skin reaction when you come in contact with them. They're also found in tall grass areas.
Hope you have an enjoyable trip on your next time out and about.
Deb
Bet you are right! Chiggers! The second week we camped I got the majority of the bites. And guess where? Inland. Campground has Spanish Moss. Our particular campsite didn't have a tree or over hanging moss but they can travel. I have been chigger bitten before here in TN. Took weeks and weeks for the blisters to heal They were single bites tho. These were clumps. Must have had a whole buncha them after me at once.

Bugs this is war!
Egg people warrior on!

Going back this time for both weeks at Topsail Hill in August which is on the coast. Hopefully will have my bug enclosure well before that.

Tags
no bugs shelter reviews