Need easy up no bugs screen room - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #41

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
Just a quick aside -- My Mom got stung by fire ants once, sprayed it immediately with spray Bactine (all we had in the car) and the bites never developed the blisters they usually do. . .

Just thought I'd share this.
Thank you Toni!
Great tip.

I have buttered myself with the strongest deet product available as well as the strongest sunscreen I can find.

Wonder if they water each other down?

I spay for bugs on my bod in camp and then before going to the beach butter up with sunscreen.

Plan to take Benedrill tabs as a preventative.

That seemed to really help once I was bitten.
Benedrill cream was helpful too.
I find rubbing with a cloth soaked with alcohol or witch hazel takes away most of the sting too.

Warrior on! The bugs will NOT win. We are going to FL and we hope to run into yall down there too.
The Destin / Panhandle area is called the Redneck Rivera.

We love it!

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #42

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I find the four - sided Clam to be more than adequate for a single or couple traveling. Plenty of room for two lounge chairs fully reclined with a small table and ice chest. Also room for a small four foot folding table for eating/cooking.

I've had mine for about six months now, used it extensively in Florida this past winter. Holds up to pretty strong winds much better than other shelters I've tried.

I place one of the patio mats under it, extending to the door of my scamp. I then set the Clam up on top of the mat. Gives me a nice, clean walk between the Scamp and the Clam. I replaced the stakes that came with the clam with round, spike type. These stakes penetrate right through the mat with very little, if any, damage to the mat. The original plastic stakes did do some damage.

One caution, though the Clam is very easy and fast to set up and take down, it's not quite as easy as the videos show for a single person. The sides are no problem, once you get the hang of it, but lifting the roof section can be tricky. The entire shelter just lifts up when you try to tension the roof. The trick, for one-man setting up, is to tension the sides, then stake down the four corners. You can then tension the roof without dancing all around the campsite, putting on a show for your neighbors.

I got the side panels, but have not used them. The roof is not entirely waterproof, so not an ideal rain shelter. I may spray the roof with a tent water proofing spray this year to see if that helps. I do like to sit outside during a storm.
The larger 6-sided Clam is heavy enough that pushing up the roof panel does not lift the entire shelter, so the roof panel is the easiest of all to pop into place.

The Broadstone's legs look similar to those on my Coleman Instant Cabin tent. The tent does go up and down quickly, with the caveat that I must use all my strength to extend the legs far enough so the built-in pins snap into the provided holes. This makes the tent fully taut. No way to know if this Broadstone shelter makes their assembly so tight and difficult, however.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #43

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
Clam 6pack review

We needed a solution to no awning on our Bigfoot B17 with two kids and two dogs we need the space and shade.

I am full timing with two kids and needed something me and the two girls could handle putting up and stowing in a pod roof rack on our TV that is an FJ. I'm short 5' 2" and my helpers are under 4' 5"

We have last years that is the green colour. First set up was in Moab on a BLM site south of town.

Supper easy to set up the first time with a few minutes of reading and looking at the basics. My helper was able to hold the first side as I pulled the others to get the "walls set up. Took us about 5-10 minutes to get this done. I then realized based on my size I needed our step ladder to push up the top.

We had some wind and ended up putting down a few sides as my helper was not able to hold the big kite we had made her.

We started again once I got the ladder set up and we had it up in 15 minutes. When we tried to stake it down with the stakes included we found the bent easily in the rocks under the sand. The first night it worked ok but we did need to replace the stakes. I got some long spikes and added some garden hose I cut for tops handles to them.

We did not get the wall side kit but we will be getting one set. Instructions for the door roof support were not so good but they just go together like most tent poles and can be figured out easily.

We had high wind on two days and the clam held up well With the mod tent stakes but not so good with the ones that come with it. I did put some things around the bottom on the skirt flaps to help hold it down.

Take down was super easy and loading in to the pod was manageable for me and my helper. We loaded the roof end first in the bag so most of the wt did not have to be lifted in to the pod.

Overall I would give this a win.

Things I would change for us is because of size I would love to find a way to put it on our trailer so we didn't have to load in the pod. (Inside is not an option even for travel days and bumper is a no go because of wt issues). I wish the stakes were better that came with it as they are a great design but the like every thing now very cheap. That it came with better cording to tie down we replaced ours and that it came with at least one wall kit. (Can't complain we got it on sale and deeply discounted)

I would buy again and willing to pay full price for it. It would have been nice to know about the stakes and such so I didn't have to make a trip to town to mod them.

Well worth the money and great solution to an awning or table tent.
www.directuganda.com
Mountain Moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #44

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The larger 6-sided Clam is heavy enough that pushing up the roof panel does not lift the entire shelter, so the roof panel is the easiest of all to pop into place.

The Broadstone's legs look similar to those on my Coleman Instant Cabin tent. The tent does go up and down quickly, with the caveat that I must use all my strength to extend the legs far enough so the built-in pins snap into the provided holes. This makes the tent fully taut. No way to know if this Broadstone shelter makes their assembly so tight and difficult, however.
I don't seem to have an issue with the Broadstone legs but I am 6 3 so I might have a bit of an advantage. I just saw the coleman version and they look almost identical. At least with coleman you know you are getting a good name and product. Once I find my perfect screen room I'll probably sell the Broadstone.
I'm probably going to end up buying one of those 10 x 10 straight leg shelters with the fitted roof sheet. I have seen the screen attachments for them and I just found out my mom has the solid walls which have the windows. That'll give me 2 options, separate screen room or an add a room right against the boler. After the rain here last night I'm not a fan of the awning. Had to keep getting up to dump the pooling water. Tried to lower the poles enough to drain the water but at my height it was a pain to get under it.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #45

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Hayneedle.com currently sells the 140" CLAM hexagonal # 1660 for $242.26, sale. Amazon sells the #9281 at the same price. Both are green & seem identical. Hayneedle offers #CLAM017 140" hex in Brown/tan for $259, Camouflage is $329, but wouldn't it be worth it to be invisible? Amazon sells #9879 140" Brown/tan for $285. The very lowest prices seem to be sale prices. Most include shipping. CLAM has larger and smaller tents, but at nearly 12x12' (35 lbs) it makes a real outdoor room. Add your own floor. It seems different stores sell almost identical tents under different item numbers. A couple of side walls seem like a good option.
I am not sure why one poster said avoid green. Heat absorption? Or was he suggesting a lighter weight model than the 140" hex, at 35 lbs?

CLAM has over 500 mostly raving reviews on Amazon. It appears a company called Gazelle is selling "imitation" Clams for a bit less on Amazon. If you don't want the entire globe being dependent on one supplier (Amazon) consider buying from Hayneedle.

https://www.hayneedle.com/outdoor/ca..._174695_10565?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #46

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
The primary difference between the green and tan model is that the tan model is the newer shelter, as such the rain/wind panels are redesigned to be more integrated with the main structure for better effectiveness. They fit under a built in flap so that rain doesn't run underneath and comes with roll up windows with tie backs.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #47

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Randy, Thank you. The wind panels I saw for the tan CLAM also had small square window flaps you can open or close. So the tan one may have several refinements. Oh, sorry, I see you mentioned those.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #48

Name: mary
Trailer: 2000 17' Burro
California
I have raised 4 kids tent camping the youngest is 25 now. I would never have survived without a screen tent, and we have gone thru plenty. The best we've ever had, and we use today, yep they still come camping with us along with their significant others, is an easy up or quick shade. I prefer the 12x12 straight leg models. I then purchased the screen walls online the one listed here is for a 10x10. We actually find that even purchasing the smaller ones and overlapping them so you don't have to unzip and zip is quite easy and does the trick. We've had very large groups and put the ez ups together and enclosed up to 12x24'. By far the best investment camping we ever made. We'll use it with our "new to us" Burro as we set off on our own weekend mini adventures. EZ UP, Quick Shade, Dicks Sporting brand, all the same and the screens work on them all.
https://www.amazon.com/Quik-Shade-In...p+canopy+walls
meryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #49

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We just bought the clam shelter on Amazon for $242. I cannot wait to get it. Our Memorial Weekend camping trip came with lots of rain, snow and a bit of wind. The wind caught our 12x12 straight leg ez up canopy with ONE wind panel in place, ripped it from its moorings and slammed it first into our egg and next into our tow vehicle. It bent it all up (And thankfully only surface scratched our camper. The TV ended up with a permanent scratch ). I was SO MAD because the wind was barely blowing. We are giving the Clam a go and I hope it lives up to all its rave reviews
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #50

Name: mary
Trailer: 2000 17' Burro
California
Sorry to hear that Emily. I too have experienced the wind issue over 30 yrs of camping and we have only tent camped until my recent Burro purchase and by recent I mean 3 wks (we haven't even taken it out yet, maiden voyage over July 4th). Wind can reek havoc regardless of the screen tent. I've lost a few from the cheap to the expensive. It's pretty unavoidable with no walls only screen. If the wind is strong it can whip right thru the best of them and send em flying even when staked. Got smarter with age and if the wind picks up, especially before calling it a night, we'll fold the screen tent up just in case. Helps when it's one of those easy ups and you have extra hands. Annoying but it is what it is.
meryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #51

Manitoba
Wind factor is always something to consider with any screen tent. Thank you for all the feedback. That is something I tend to overlook or don't give too much thought about. Canadian tire usually has the 10 x 10 easy ups on sale and after checking out the link and seeing the price of the 4 mesh walls from amazon, I'm looking at just over 200 bucks (since I already have the solid walls). The Clam looks amazing but Canadian, I'm looking at close to $500 and I noticed that there aren't alot of places that will ship to Canada. I would think that with the stakes and a few guy wires (few extra if needed) would be good. Might even be worth it to buy a set of weights.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #52

Manitoba
Right now I am using a 12 x 12 slant leg with a flared canopy but there is really no way to close it all in with screen properly so I just use it over the boler until I get all the leaks fixed. Works great for that purpose but I find on windy days that the roof poles can slip out of the pockets in the corners of the canopy even after it has been tied down.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0034.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #53

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meryone View Post
Sorry to hear that Emily. I too have experienced the wind issue over 30 yrs of camping and we have only tent camped until my recent Burro purchase and by recent I mean 3 wks (we haven't even taken it out yet, maiden voyage over July 4th). Wind can reek havoc regardless of the screen tent. I've lost a few from the cheap to the expensive. It's pretty unavoidable with no walls only screen. If the wind is strong it can whip right thru the best of them and send em flying even when staked. Got smarter with age and if the wind picks up, especially before calling it a night, we'll fold the screen tent up just in case. Helps when it's one of those easy ups and you have extra hands. Annoying but it is what it is.
We actually had our tent, when we were tent campers, completely flattened by wind one time when we were in Moab! We came back from doing the Firey Furnace tour, and it had snapped two poles (duct tape to the rescue!), snapped all the guy wire tie downs and it was FULL of sand! First day of a two week camping trip! I guess it's a story to tell The wind is NOT my favorite!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #54

Tennessee
Smile After researching we bought a...

This has been a terrific thread and we appreciate everyone's participation and helpfulness! Hope other people can use this information and sharing too.

After much researching we ordered this from Amazon and it should arrive next week.

Coleman Instant Screenroom 10 x 10
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00339C3G4?psc=1
See all Customer Pictures (half way down on the right)

We'll let everyone know how it works out.
Supposed to go up quickly.
Will use our stouter stakes we already have and will weigh down the borders as well as guy wire.

Far less expensive than the Clam and is rated well according to articles of the best anti-bug shelters it is well up the lists of recommended. Read the comments on the Amazon purchasers and see the video. Around $81.

Clam of course most people's go to which is fine. Some people may want to have a more tent-like shelter with storm flaps. Looks like if you shop around you can get it far less expensively. Deals to be had out there.

Coleman 10 x 10 should be plenty big enough for our purposes.
Need room for (2) 0 gravity recliners and a small fold up table.

Also invested in a grommet kit to tie down with grommets and nails our 2 roll-up ground cover water resistant mats. Hopefully with the screen and flooring the buggers won't bite me as much!

As people have noted the wind is the biggy to avoid on damage. Not wanting to pick it out of a tree 3 sites down crumbled, folded, spindled and mutilated.

Wise to lower it down when going off for an extended period of time. We do most of our camping in FL for long periods of weeks.

Those of you that camp FL can relate just about every afternoon you can expect at least 1 hour long storm. Keep up with weather radio and if you have a MeMyselfAndIPAD (have one but have a love-hate relationship with it and won't fax on the beach) keep the weather radar up and check periodically during the day.

Whatever you choose to buy be it the heavier and most expensive Clam pay close attention to the weather and make sure you get an easy up and more importantly an easy down.

Again, thanks people for your responses!

OK Bugs! We are on the attack now. (satisfied laugh)
Warrior on!

Old 06-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #55
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Just purchased the 120 sq foot clam they are now selling in Ontario Costco s for $390 bucks but couldn't resist as I had $ 380 bucks in Costco points so it cost me $ 10 bucks. What an amazingly simple thing to set up ,about 20 seconds once I figured which was the inside/ outside.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:56 AM   #56

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Just purchased the 120 sq foot clam they are now selling in Ontario Costco s for $390 bucks but couldn't resist as I had $ 380 bucks in Costco points so it cost me $ 10 bucks. What an amazingly simple thing to set up ,about 20 seconds once I figured which was the inside/ outside.
Congratulations Mikmay! Sounds great. Easy is good! Great to shop around. Sounds like the points bucks a really great way to purchase one.

How compact is it. Do you find it heavy?

Old 06-18-2017, 05:12 AM   #57

Tennessee
Does the job and price is right

One of us had a dandy idea for the low end buyer.
It does the job if you need bug protection and want shade.

Also mentioned that these screenrooms can be daisy chained together for large groups.

Quik Shade 10'x10' Instant Canopy Screen Panel Set with Zipper Entry
https://www.amazon.com/Quik-Shade-In...p+canopy+walls

We all need to keep in mind any of these including Clams can be blown away even with staking. Personally I am not going to stay out in a shelter when I have my safe storm Oliver.

Whatever you buy take down a shelter and you can leave on the ground when a storm is brewing.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:48 AM   #58
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
Congratulations Mikmay! Sounds great. Easy is good! Great to shop around. Sounds like the points bucks a really great way to purchase one.

How compact is it. Do you find it heavy?
Not too heavy but a little on the long side ,will be no problem going in the back door of the HC1.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #59

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I recently had an opportunity to sit inside a brown Clam shelter. The solid sides were on due to a bit of wind and rain. The day was overcast too. Sitting in a regular camp chair, I couldn't sit up tall enough to see out the windows! It was like sitting in a dark cave even though the ceiling was the lighter beige color. Nope, don't want one now... at least I wouldn't put those full sides on. If bugs were that bad, I'd rather sit in the trailer and look out the windows. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #60

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
We have had a Clam for near two years now. It has definite benefits, and a couple drawbacks. First, like with most people realize, it is so simple and fast to set up, a minute and you have bug, rain and sun protection. The Clam is also very well made, and if the weather gets blustery, you can add the wind screens.

While it works great for it's intended used, it is a bear to haul around, as it packs up to be a long, big bundle. If I am doing an extended trip, there is no way it is coming along. A short trip in bug season, and it will be in the bed of the truck, for sure.

While the screening is great for bugs, it is kinda strange being "trapped" inside a mostly closed shelter if there are no bugs and it is raining.

I am considering getting an open sided canopy instead, as I find I am escaping the sun and rain way more than bugs. Something like the PahaQue Cottonwood LT 12x12. You can get a couple panels for wind/rain breaks, which will allow us to set up over a picnic table anywhere and stay out in inclement weather.
PahaQue's Family Camping Tents -- Cottonwood LT 12x12 Green - CW201
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no bugs shelter reviews