Need easy up no bugs screen room - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #61

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post

After much researching we ordered this from Amazon and it should arrive next week.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00339C3G4
Yes that is a popular shelter and the one I have.

Trouble is it does not have a floor and its a bit of a pain to get the edges sealed to the ground, so it is bug resistant and not bug proof. It helps, but I still need deet.

I don't use mine but that is because of the particularities of my situation which don't apply to the vast majority of people who would want to use a screen room such as this. In fact I was thinking of selling it since it mostly just takes up space here... if anyone near Charlotte NC (or Binghamton NY in August) wants it, shoot me a PM.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #62

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
This has been a terrific thread and we appreciate everyone's participation and helpfulness! Hope other people can use this information and sharing too.

After much researching we ordered this from Amazon and it should arrive next week.

Coleman Instant Screenroom 10 x 10
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00339C3G4?psc=1
See all Customer Pictures (half way down on the right)

We'll let everyone know how it works out.
Supposed to go up quickly.
Will use our stouter stakes we already have and will weigh down the borders as well as guy wire.

Far less expensive than the Clam and is rated well according to articles of the best anti-bug shelters it is well up the lists of recommended. Read the comments on the Amazon purchasers and see the video. Around $81.

Clam of course most people's go to which is fine. Some people may want to have a more tent-like shelter with storm flaps. Looks like if you shop around you can get it far less expensively. Deals to be had out there.

Coleman 10 x 10 should be plenty big enough for our purposes.
Need room for (2) 0 gravity recliners and a small fold up table.

Also invested in a grommet kit to tie down with grommets and nails our 2 roll-up ground cover water resistant mats. Hopefully with the screen and flooring the buggers won't bite me as much!

As people have noted the wind is the biggy to avoid on damage. Not wanting to pick it out of a tree 3 sites down crumbled, folded, spindled and mutilated.

Wise to lower it down when going off for an extended period of time. We do most of our camping in FL for long periods of weeks.

Those of you that camp FL can relate just about every afternoon you can expect at least 1 hour long storm. Keep up with weather radio and if you have a MeMyselfAndIPAD (have one but have a love-hate relationship with it and won't fax on the beach) keep the weather radar up and check periodically during the day.

Whatever you choose to buy be it the heavier and most expensive Clam pay close attention to the weather and make sure you get an easy up and more importantly an easy down.

Again, thanks people for your responses!

OK Bugs! We are on the attack now. (satisfied laugh)
Warrior on!
Be sure and let us know what you think once you get it set up! Post a review!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #63

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
After receiving the Clam shelter that I ordered from Amazon, we put it up once and sent it back. It is REALLY long, and heavy. It actually wouldn't fit in our tow vehicle without putting a seat down (which I had read in reviews and noted the dimension before ordering, but...) Because we would take it with us but wouldn't always put it up at a campsite, it has to be able to fit inside the TV for storage purposes. I ordered the Coleman 10x10 pop up, which came yesterday and we just set it up in about 30 seconds from the box. It's lightweight and fits inside our tow. I'm pretty happy with it and can't wait to try it out on our next trip. The Clam is well made and goes up pretty quickly, too, but I think the Coleman is better suited for our needs. It also cost significantly less than the Clam ($67 on Amazon). Just thought I'd update since I previously weighed in on the topic
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #64

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
So I went and bought Walmart's 11 x 11 easy up with the screen included. Set up took about 7 8 minutes by myself, not bad. But it leaked from the roof. Ended up taking it back and bought the 10 x 10 Ozark Trail, screen walls sold separately, and the Outbound Easy Up from Canadian Tire. Set them both up and liked the Outbound from CT better. Screens interchanged perfectly. I found that the fitted roof was way too tight on the Ozark causing the seems to really stretch and possibly split over time. I would have given it one season. I did like the frame better than the Outbound. I thought it was a little more solid and the legs had 2 extra holes for height adjustment. If I could have kept the Ozark frame with the Outbound canopy then it would have been perfect but I didn't think that would go over well with the return.
I don't know how to add links but these pics are from the 11 x 11 I originally bought and the walls my mom had. I forgot to take pics of the new one but everything is basically the same except 10 x 10 version, new canopy is blue and the solid walls fit the 10 x 10 better blocking out the wind and rain but leaving about an inch on either side for some air movement.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0623.jpg   IMG_0624.jpg  

IMG_0625.jpg   IMG_0626.jpg  

bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #65

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
I know this set up won't be for everyone, it's not light, and the length of everything put away is probably 4 feet but I can fold one section of the door right back and it'll line up with my boler door perfectly so I can use it as an add a room if I want.
Oh, and I made a new friend while setting up
Attached Thumbnails
20170605_142713.jpg   20170605_142748.jpg  

bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #66

Name: Roger
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
Thanks for your post Oliver Elite2. We ordered this unit from Amazon and await its arrival. After a weekend trip with heat and bugs we needed shelter!! The Scamp was also hot so not a good option for escaping bugs. We order a CULER SOLO Single Port Flash-Evaporative Air Cooler for the trailer heat. Learning as we go!!
Rog Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #67

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
The post sought an " easy up no bugs screen room

The answer is the CLAM because it raises like an umbrella, which is pretty easy. It also features a nice ceiling height, and at 12' x 12' has a generous amount of room.
Keep an eye out for sales, you may find at $200-$250.
For fewer CLAMS, check out Clam imitator Gazelle G6, very similar design:
https://www.amazon.com/Gazelle-G6-Po...S/ref=sr_1_17?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:55 AM   #68

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Coleman critique coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Be sure and let us know what you think once you get it set up! Post a review!
Should arrive any day now. Spouse claims I should set it up by myself. We'll see about that. He can't help himself and will surely get involved

Will setup here at home and maybe take it on a local campout to test out the Coleman.

Will report our fair critique of the good and the bad characteristics.

We got it for anti-bug for our relaxing in 0 gravity recliners and sipping margaritas.

Got the yellow plastic stacks all lined up vs. the ones Coleman furnishes. Also got the grommet kit so can make a flooring of the waterproof thin tarps.

The major drawback I see of the Clam is it's heavy. We are trying to keep bulk and plunder down to a minimum. Otherwise the Clam (could) be a dual (if you get the even heavier shelter curtains) that may (if property weighed down and staked out). have the added "storm" shelter.

Hey come a storm my personage will not be in the shelter but in the safe egg hardside.

Key to it I think for any shelter is if you know a biggy storm is coming (because you monitor the fronts) take down the shelter and weigh down. No shelter is windproof.

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:01 AM   #69

Tennessee
The war continues > Mosquito season tips and tricks

From RV Travel Newsletter Issue 799 (Good newsletter delivered to box. If you haven't already explored has good articles and tips.)
RV Travel Newsletter Issue 799 – RV Travel

Mosquito season tips and tricks
Mosquito season tips and tricks – RV Travel

Old 06-24-2017, 04:05 AM   #70

Tennessee
Mikmay thanks for critique of Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Not too heavy but a little on the long side ,will be no problem going in the back door of the HC1.
Thanks for the critique.
We figure the Coleman at 10x10 will fit better in most campsites.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:26 AM   #71

Tennessee
Clip on rechargeble fan an alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
If you are on shore power in warm weather (such as Florida this time of year) then a good box fan with a good strong air flow can help keep the bugs off you also.
Going with ordering a fan that clips on my 0 Gravity side table. It's rechargeable and won't need an extension cord.

Trying to keep plunder bulk to haul to a minimum.

Now a shore powered box fan of course more effective.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:36 AM   #72

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Yes that is a popular shelter and the one I have.

Trouble is it does not have a floor and its a bit of a pain to get the edges sealed to the ground, so it is bug resistant and not bug proof. It helps, but I still need deet.

I don't use mine but that is because of the particularities of my situation which don't apply to the vast majority of people who would want to use a screen room such as this. In fact I was thinking of selling it since it mostly just takes up space here... if anyone near Charlotte NC (or Binghamton NY in August) wants it, shoot me a PM.
Thank you Gordon!
Going to add an easy lightweight water resistant rollup for flooring. (much lighter than a tarp.

Have had great success with this water shedding material just for a large "mat" on pad.

Yeah did see Gordon that the Coleman may not have as much to the ground covering vs. a more skirted one.

Going to use the floor mat to fold up on the edges and weigh down. Our goal is to keep the heavy bulky additions to camping as lightweight and compact as possible.

We have a covered bed camper top on the Tundra but still want to keep it down to a dull roar what we haul.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:14 AM   #73

Tennessee
Looks great. Thanks for the pictures.

Would be great for someone wanting bug protection plus keep things dry.
Looks hot so wouldn't use sides normally I would think.
Good if want to use as storage for more privacy.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:34 AM   #74

Tennessee
Coleman 10 x 10 and the war continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
I ordered the Coleman 10x10 pop up, which came yesterday and we just set it up in about 30 seconds from the box. It's lightweight and fits inside our tow. I'm pretty happy with it and can't wait to try it out on our next trip. I think the Coleman is better suited for our needs. It also cost significantly less than the Clam ($67 on Amazon). Just thought I'd update since I previously weighed in on the topic
Thanks for this. Hope we have a similar experience for our coming (any minute now?) Coleman 10x10 from Amazon. Went the 5-7 day route free shipping.

Hoping to set up in yard and try the rollup flooring we made and use on a local trip to field test it.

It's all about what suits your needs.

At least on paper (so far) the Coleman will do what we want. Win the war on bugs and have a portable, easy set up screen room.

I could see the beauty of a Clam also if people want a larger, heavier, with storm curtains also. Must have the inclination to pay more for one.

Warrior on brave and cheerful Egg Folks.
We will defeat the booger bugs even yet!
See the post of the article I found on winning the war.

I still will use the most powerful Deet product:
Ultrathon 8 Insect Repellent, 8 hour time released protection
- sweat and splash resistant

- Repels:
mosquitos
ticks
flies
biting flies
chiggers
gnats
fleas
deer flies

Wondering if I could spray on the shelter without damaging it?

I have to admit last campout to FL I didn't consistently use it and thus came home with bite marks that all still haven't healed.

Armed and dangerous to bugs this time I hope!

Old 06-24-2017, 05:54 AM   #75

Tennessee
Talking Deet alternatives and the sweet sound of zap!

Warrior on brave and cheerful Egg Folks.

We will defeat the booger bugs even yet!
See the post of the article I found on winning the war.

I still will use the most powerful Deet product:
Ultrathon 8 Insect Repellent, 8 hour time released protection

From RV Article Links – Deet alternatives and the sweet sound of zap!
RV Travel Newsletter
http://rvtravel.com/mosquito-season-tips-and-tricks/

Mosquito season tips and tricks
Natural Insect Repellent Pest-Off Body Oil with Neem Oil
Plantlife
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LU548O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=rvtravel0 4-20&linkId=cd6512263623508f30eb9572f6e86df0

Natural bug repellent
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=natural+bug+repellent&rh=i:aps,k:natural+ bug+repellent&linkCode=sl2&tag=rvtravel04-20&linkId=8ab97b6cc1b8c01b3953b9a71b84d438
Get even – zap’em! Serious and fun warfare and arm exercise.
"mosquito bug zapper racket"
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mosquito+bug+zapper+racket&rh=i:aps,k:mos quito+bug+zapper+racket&linkCode=sl2&tag=rvtravel0 4-20&linkId=dcafb02cc5a930ab023988ae90447a5c

Armed and dangerous to bugs this time I hope! [/QUOTE]

Old 06-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #76

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We are headed to Northern Minnesota this summer, so keeping bugs away has suddenly become paramount! (Living in Colorado, and camping mostly in the west, we have never worried too much about things that bite.) I ordered this from Amazon as well, actually two of them, and we are hoping that combined with our new screen tent, we can keep the campsites mosquito free. I'll try to update on whether it works after we return.

Thermacell MR-9L Outdoor Mosquito Repeller plus Lantern
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ordered these for each of us, to wear while hiking and camping along the boundary waters. My family has made fun of me, but I think they'll be happy not to get eaten alive or have to worry about ticks

Coghlan's Bug Jacket

Coghlan's Bug Pants
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #77

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
CLAM

The CLAM screen tent is the best. Very fast set up, 2 minutes. 'Heavy' is relative, our green screen tent weighs 35 lbs. I weigh 250 lbs, I am heavy, the tent is not. Our tent just survived a 70 mph blow. It pulled the stakes and traveled a block. It lost one canvas brass eyelet which I repaired.
John
Old 06-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #78

Tennessee
>>> After attending several FGRV rallies and experiencing friends CLAM at them, we ordered one the other day <<<

David did you get your clam?

How do you like it?

Old 06-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #79

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by meryone View Post
I. EZ UP, Quick Shade, Dicks Sporting brand, all the same and the screens work on them all.

https://www.amazon.com/Quik-Shade-In...p+canopy+walls
Price is definitely right!
Good purchase.
$30.19 & FREE Shipping

Old 06-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #80

Tennessee
Bug tip - coffee and paprika

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboler View Post
Just a suggestion, but I have heard that used coffee grounds work to keep ants away. If you have coffee every morning then you'll definitely have ample supply. I think my parents use paprika or cayenne pepper at their cabin. maybe you can try to sprinkle a little around the base of the shelter.
Good tip thank you.

Tags
no bugs shelter reviews