Need easy up no bugs screen room - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Question Need easy up no bugs screen room

Bugs love me. Just came back from FL and was eaten up once again.

Found this on Amazon.

New SportCraft 8 ft Pop Up Screen Room With Floor Canopy Tent Shelter
https://www.amazon.com/SportCraft-Screen-Floor-Canopy-Shelter/dp/B0114N0SOY/ref=pd_sbs_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0114N0SOY &pd_rd_r=JEW8C5GPE76N24DKPFFR&pd_rd_w=g5XZM&pd_rd_ wg=DP8Hw&psc=1&refRID=JEW8C5GPE76N24DKPFFR

Anyone have one?
Critiques?
Alternatives that won't cost an arm and a leg that have a floor also?

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have a friend who used to use one at agility trials. It's small but effective and easy to set up (some people have trouble putting it away, though.) Hers may have been smaller than this but 7.5x7.5 is pretty small.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:14 PM   #3

Tennessee
Thanks Bobbie for the response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I have a friend who used to use one at agility trials. It's small but effective and easy to set up (some people have trouble putting it away, though.) Hers may have been smaller than this but 7.5x7.5 is pretty small.
Hoping to find something that 2 - 0 gravity recliners can fit. Reading the reviews the big thing is learning the trick how to get it back in shape to fit in the bag. There's a video posted on how it works here the Amazon item review says.

This shows you how to put it back in the bag:
Breakdown fold Sportscraft 8 ft Pop Up Screen Room Tent by TZ2OurLittleDogToo

Any alternatives out there w/ a floor?
Has to be an easy-up and not cost a fortune.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #4

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Clam

Several people on this forum have recommended this: Clam Quick-Set Escape 1660 Six Pack Screen Tent, Green | L & M Fleet Supply

It looks big enough to be fun, and easy to set up and take down!
in the Abel Egg, 2011 EggCamper #101
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Another proponent of the Clam shelter here. Florida tested!

We have the model 9281, there are some smaller and larger versions. Purchased ours on Amazon.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #6

Name: Linda
Trailer: inTech
Kansas
the Clam

my only reservation regarding this one is that it is very heavy. i bought one, but i have not yet used it. just surprised at the packed size and weight....
lrb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I used to use a folding window shade all the time in my car- once you know the trick it takes seconds to fold it, but it isn't intuitive for everyone. I had fun watching friends try to do it. The shelter is similar. Once you have the muscle memory you don't have to think about it but you can get frustrated at first.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #8

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
easy up Screen Tent

We have a Clam, takes my wife and I 2 minutes to set it up. The only pieces /parts are the stakes.

It is easy to take down, it withstands high winds with out breaking.

It is heavy and takes up room.

For my purposes it is the best I have ever had.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #9

Tennessee
Tricky figure 8 and a clam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I used to use a folding window shade all the time in my car- once you know the trick it takes seconds to fold it, but it isn't intuitive for everyone. I had fun watching friends try to do it. The shelter is similar. Once you have the muscle memory you don't have to think about it but you can get frustrated at first.
I have a float raft with nylon in the middle. Can blow up the sides and pillow. This looks like it may fold the same way starting with a figure eight. I used to know how to fold it. Fortunately my DH managed to get it back to a circle. I could only manage an egg shape.

Hope it's not as much fun. This looks a lot like the baby tents and doggy tents only for humans and human adults.

Was wondering about the clam dome. Nabbit if they are expensive. Just how hard are they? Worth the money?

Old 06-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #10

Tennessee
Clams, floors, and blisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
Several people on this forum have recommended this: Clam Quick-Set Escape 1660 Six Pack Screen Tent, Green | L & M Fleet Supply

It looks big enough to be fun, and easy to set up and take down!
I was wondering about those. Are they really quick to set up and set down? I don't think they come with a floor right?
I thought about making a grommetted mat that is made up of large flannelly-waterproof pieces as a flooring.

Clams sure are expensive do look very sturdy. Wonder how they hold up in storms and their longevity? Would have to swallow hard on the price but...

I am so over getting blisters that take weeks and weeks to fade. I think the ants got me this time. Not sure. I still itch. Oh handy trick rubbing alcohol on a bath rag helps take away the sting and disinfect them. I got an allergic reaction to whatever it was and bought benedril tabs and cream. Seemed to help... and then there was the sun poisoning. I had doped myself up with the strongest dep and sunscreen I could find.

But miss the beach? Unimaginable! We go to Topsail Hill Preserve on Santa Rosa Beach FL. Listed in many many lists of the best of the best parks. Generally #2.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #11

Tennessee
How fast? Easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBreez View Post

We have the model 9281, there are some smaller and larger versions. Purchased ours on Amazon.
Good to know. Leaning towards them. Approx what is the setup and takedown time? Does it take two people?

Give up FL because of the pesky critters is not an option. This is war!

Old 06-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBreez View Post

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TMBENDS...ding=UTF8&th=1

Clam Corporation
Clam Corporation 9879 Quick-Set Escape Shelter, 140 x 140-Inch, Brown/Beige

List Price: $319.99
Price: $285.05 & FREE Shipping. Details You Save: $34.94 (11%)

Wow ~ 300 clams! The lengths we must go to defeat bugs. The tan looks pretty good lighter for sun reflective properties and brown the color of dirt for the bottom.

I guess if you figure in Benedril tabs, cremes, alcohol wipes, and even a visit to a Dr. for a predisone shot, and various other products that the boogers can defeat it may just be a bargain.

Really does cut down on the Margarita enjoyment with side by side 0 gravity recliners.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #13

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
Wow, that Clam looks awesome. That's exactly what I need. Love the window covers too. Floor would be nice too but I don't think it would last very long. Plus, if it did take on a little water then there would be no place for it to go. Maybe an oversized tarp would work then you could just fold up the excess, pull it back in and let it come up the inside. At least it would be a little stronger.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If you get a Clam, do get the tan one. I have the 6 sided green one and, frankly, I have debated selling it. Why?
1. It's a bit too long to fit nicely in my SUV. I can pack it diagonally, but then everything is on top of it and it's hard to get out. It does fit better in the trailer.
2. It's rather heavy, but that's not too big of a deal... just one more factor.
3. The screen mesh is very tight. Great for keeping out bugs, not so great for air movement.
4. The green color soaks up the rays and warms the interior more than I like on a summer day. If it's cool outside, #3 and #4 are advantages. But I almost always camp in summer, when it's warm or hot.
5. I don't use the Clam often enough to remember that when I take it down, I must unwrap the door-frame poles from the velcro; thus, I find myself struggling and wondering why it isn't collapsing properly, until I re-read the directions!

Costco has that SportCraft pop up screen room for $89.99. I debated getting one last summer, but I already have the Clam. I keep telling myself that the Clam is likely to greatly outlast the SportCraft, because the Clam is built very sturdy. But I only end up using the Clam a couple times per year; at that rate of wear and tear, a SportCraft might last me 10 years!

The other factor in the Clam's favor, however, is the size. I have plenty of room to sprawl out in a zero gravity lounger. And if I ever have a bug-filled campsite, the Clam would encompass the picnic table... and probably my lounger at the same time.

Setup and takedown does not require 2 people. I do it myself (after I remember how, that is). But having a second person can't hurt, because when you pull on a panel to pop it out you don't want the whole thing to just move toward you, and a 2nd person could hold it in place. Putting down stakes around the perimeter, as fast as that is, actually takes nearly the same amount of time as the actual setup. And if you decide to run some guy lines in case of high wind, that will take a few minutes extra.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #15

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post

Costco has that SportCraft pop up screen room for $89.99. I debated getting one last summer, but I already have the Clam. I keep telling myself that the Clam is likely to greatly outlast the SportCraft, because the Clam is built very sturdy. But I only end up using the Clam a couple times per year; at that rate of wear and tear, a SportCraft might last me 10 years!

The other factor in the Clam's favor, however, is the size. I have plenty of room to sprawl out in a zero gravity lounger. And if I ever have a bug-filled campsite, the Clam would encompass the picnic table... and probably my lounger at the same time.
Bears repeating I had to laugh
Thanks Mike you made my day.
Just the kind of review/critique I write.
Ah I hear the kinship from here... O Lounger.

Love mine! DH wants one too.
Can fall asleep after 2 margaritas.
Just bought a snap in table that holds 2 drinks and has 2 other slots and enough room for a book.

Honest no big drinker here. I rarely do but FL it seems almost a requirement. I am embarrassed 2 plastic cupfuls and its swimmy head snooze time :

We are going for 2 weeks straight to Topsail so it would be worth setting up a shade shelter but taking it down? I hope it's not a PIA. We take a long time taking down as it is.

My zero lounger I bought before our Oliver. It's a Coleman green color just doesn't match my "motif" on the Oliver outside and inside.

Not fond of the Clam green personally. I think the tan would be cooler too. Did you get aholdda the camo green? They are charging extra just for it.

Thinking the rain flap may be nice but I do have this trepidation that we are done with tent campers and tents. Afterall that is why we swallowed hard and got a hardsided. Never thot we would spring for this level of cush for us. Still amazed it is ours.

We had a shade shelter way back but it was a major PIA to setup. Just too many poles and directions were definitely not optional. I want the popup an umbrella ease as much as possible without a lot of parts and pieces.

I am bugging the DH tonight to go ahead and order my grommet kit to make a flooring. It's very light weight jersey/nylon but strong enough not to rip but not as heavy as a tarp. Rolls in a very compact size and closed with a bungee cord. Will use long aluminum nails to keep the floor down from blowing around.

Fits in the Oliver closet. Have used them separately and weighted the large sections down on the corners. I figure a grommet "knitting" will be good.

Thanks to the pointer to the Costco model. We are members and will scope it out. Good to see something before purchase.

Might wind up springing for a tan clam for longer campouts. For local shorties never mind. We travel pretty light to keep the pulldown to a minimum time. We are slow and deliberate (OK you know who is). We need a time motion study.

Well cheers and maybe we will meet in FL someday. Check out Topsail Hill simply the best FL camping we have done. You have to reserve 11 mo. out.

Bugs this is war!

Old 06-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
We have the Clam 660 green. It weighs 34 lbs. We use a deck type rug, the type everyone places in front of their door. We lay the rug down then pop up the scamp. We carry it inside of trailer when in tow, we place t on the floor of our 16 foot Scamp. If we are on a long trip and wish to take a break we take the side dinette table off and drop the clam behind the pole support,and then put table back on. We are able to sit and have snack and have the floor clear to use the galley. Works out well. On cool days you can attach the flys and keep it warmer by blocking wind and rain. If it is hot we run a fan for a nice breeze. We used it for 3 years now. Also it is a nice place for our dog, they just lay down and take in the panoramic veiw. Carl
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #17

Tennessee
Here is the Sport Craft Mike was critiquing.
I'm thinking it will be too small and the DH and I may wind up cursing it trying to get it down. Probably won't fit 2 - 0 gravity recliners.

Appears some people after watching the video get the knack. Just folding a raft in a figure 8 similarly made can be a real PIA. DH still not sure how he managed it to go to a circle.

Thinking of going with the tan Clam instead. Still deciding.
Have to do something it's bugs 1 and me 0 so far.
Bugs this is war!

https://www.costco.com/SportCraft-8-...100218917.html

SportCraft 8 ft. Pop Up Screen Room With Floor

3.3 out of 5 stars. Read reviews. 3.3
(7)

Item #714547
Online Price 89.99 $
Your Price 89.99$

Shipping & Handling Included*
Features:
  • No Assembly Required! – Simply pop open!
  • Zippered Entrance
  • Open: 7.5’ x 7.5’ x 7’
  • Folded: 31" x 31" x 2"

Old 06-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #18

Tennessee
Thank you Carl for this:

"... We have the Clam 660 green. It weighs 34 lbs. We use a deck type rug, the type everyone places in front of their door. ..
On cool days you can attach the flys and keep it warmer by blocking wind and rain. If it is hot we run a fan for a nice breeze. We used it for 3 years now. Also it is a nice place for our dog, they just lay down and take in the panoramic view. Carl ..."

------------
Sounds very nice Carl thank you again for you kind response. An added bonus for doggies too. I smile

Old 06-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
After attending several FGRV rallies and experiencing friends CLAM at them, we ordered one the other day, along with a propane portable firepit. While camping along the Southern Utah Tour, there were windy and cold nights, along with fire bans except for propane fires, so everyone retreated to their various trailers because no one had shelter from the wind that others could join them in.
Another friend hosts a campground at high altitude, and has lost several other brand shelters to the high winds, but after they sprung for a Clam (which survived 70mph winds), they stated that they would never purchase any other brand.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #20

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
The sportscraft looks like an interesting choice for a screen room. I wonder if the 9 foot version that seems to be available in Canada will ever make it to the US.
Patxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no bugs shelter reviews