Need fan for 98 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
I have been lurking on this site since I purchased my camper a year ago. It's been a great help. My Scamp only has an escape hatch/vent in the roof and I want to ad a fan unit. Since I would really rather not cut another hole in the roof, I was wondering if there is one that could be installed in a window. I have also seen the discussion on the Endless Breeze unit and was wondering where I would plug it in inside the camper.
Mary Gessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I'm thinking that you are on the right track in considering the Endless Breeze portable box fan unit. If you don't already have one, adding a 12 volt outlet might be easier to do than cutting a new 14" x 14" vent hole in the roof for a Fan-Tastic Fan.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:34 PM   #3

Quote:
I'm thinking that you are on the right track in considering the Endless Breeze portable box fan unit. If you don't already have one, adding a 12 volt outlet might be easier to do than cutting a new 14" x 14" vent hole in the roof for a Fan-Tastic Fan.

Thank you for the reply. How would I go about putting in a 12 volt outlet?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Send a message via AIM to Slocamper
I have had many fiberglass trailers and now have a Scamp and I have found the computer fans very helpful if you don't like to cut holes in the sides. I have mounted them in the roof vent and also in side windows. The thing that really makes them work is to also make something that will block the entire opening around the fan. I usually make that out of a thin veneer plywood or corrugated cardboard that has been varnished for strength. The last one I made used about a 4 or 5 inch fan mounted to an approx 1/8 inch piece of oak plywood.. I cut the plywood just the size of the open halp of my kitchen side window and then cut a hole in it the same size as the fan blades diameter. then I riveted (you should all know about rivets by now) the fan to the plywood. Then I took out the window screws on that side of the window and put them back with those little flexible wire holders (plastic) that hold wires against the wall that you can buy at the hardware store. They stick out on the window side so I can slide the plywood under them to hold it over the open window area. I usually mount the fan so it pushes the air out the window- then I open another window in the trailer. It really is quite effective. The fans are easy to find at a swap meet, garage sale etc. and they come in AC or DC so you have a choice. I also use the small fans like this (about 2 inch size) for a fan in the refrigerator outside area. Mount it above the heating unit and have it blow the air up. It helps make the refrigerator work better on hot days by moving the hot air out. They are much more powerful than the commercial ones you can buy at the RV stores and usually cost about one or two dollars used.
Slocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I decided to not get the Endless Breeze fan right now.. I also have a 16' scamp ( side dinnette) Its very expensive , so I got one from Walmart that is battery operated and also a/c for $13.. There is also alittle hook that you can hang it up.. I am going to try to see if it will hang from the crank on the escape hatch. I will see how well that works before investing in the Endless Breeze.. I avoid going camping in mid summer, with the dogs its just to hot.... early spring and fall.
I think someone else was getting one of those little fans from WallyWorld too....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I like the Hella fans sold by West Marine for around $65 each. They are-up scale in price, but also up-scale in performance. They are quiet and have very low current draw for the amount of air moved. The extra air movement makes sleeping easier during hot weather.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
I like the Hella fans sold by West Marine for around $65 each. They are-up scale in price, but also up-scale in performance. They are quiet and have very low current draw for the amount of air moved. The extra air movement makes sleeping easier during hot weather.

Thank you all for the helpful ideas. This list is great!

Mary
Old 03-25-2006, 06:51 AM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Mary, I know it's a tough sell, but my advice would be to cut the hole and buy a fantastic fan. You'll never be sorry you did it. After you have it, you'll wonder how you ever did without it!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp