Need Help Finding Good Battery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
WHERE DO I FIND SEALED BATTERY NOT NEEDING WATER ADDED?
Where can I find a good marine battery for a decent price? I went to Costco, Sams club , and Wal Mart without success tonight. I want something that I can use for Boon docking without running out of power for a long weekend using my fantastic fan. I prefer one that is not going to need water, as the battery is too heavy to take out of the camper every few weeks to check it.

I fried the old battery, thus would like one without needing water this time, but for a decent price. I saw one tonight for almost $200. They must come cheaper than that!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Try an interstate dealer they may have one u can aford.u get what u pay for in batterys. AGMs ARE GREAT BUT PRICIE ITS FRIDAY NIGHT.
Paula Washburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:12 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Karalyn,

I'd recommend getting an AGM battery. You'll never have to wrestle it out of that compartment. As Paula said, they're pricey, but well worth it.

However, if it were me, I would not put any kind of new battery in until I replaced the converter. The original converter is probably what fried your battery. It will boil a battery dry in a few days.

Here's a link to the place I've bought AGMs from. I used the PVX-1040T (104 AH). They don't show prices; you'll have to call. You may be able to beat their prices, just search using google.

AGM Batteries

I think Interstate also makes AGM batteries, so if there is a dealer near you, that might work better for you.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Karalyn,

I'm with Morgan on replacing that converter first. Even though it makes it even more pricey, I feel like it was worth it to me.

I did a lot of research and found that Interstate didn't carry a true AGM in the size that I wanted. Gels are okay, but if they are ever overcharged, the gel can seperate, thus losing some of its capacity. True AGMs allow you to go lower than a flooded battery without damaging them, so you actually have more available power. The best price I found was actually at a supplier for power chairs/scooters. Before I went to get it, Bass Pro Shops put theirs on sale and it was a lot closer, so that is where I got it. I don't recall what I paid for it, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. They are heavier, but since I gained a few pounds when I took out my old converter and put in a new one, it helped a little. FWIW, it never made a difference in towing.

At the moment I don't recall exactly when I put it in, but its been over two years ago. I haven't looked at my battery one time and it is still doing well.

As a side note, I decided to put it back in the same battery box. It was an extremely snug fit, but it eventually worked. What I didn't expect was that it was slightly too tall. I used some old black heavy rubber bungies and make a gasket for it. Added just the right height so that it is all snug .
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Sears just came out with an AGM Battery..... they called it a group 34 Deep cycle marine/rv battery but the amp hours where only set at 65 aH ...... now i know you can run an AGM Battery lower than a regular battery but not sure how much lower i can go without damage? This trailer sits in storage alot and it loses no power.... always at 12.8 volts with battery disconnect on off. so far am very happy with it.... just wish it had more amp hours. It was a little pricey at $199.99 but i wanted to eliminate adding water.
It's a Sears AGM DieHard Platinum Deep Cycle Marine/RV #PS 22850134 ..... so far i'm happy with it. If anybody know more about this battery i would be glad to hear about it...good or bad!
Joe

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...ecemldffidfko.0
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Sears just came out with an AGM Battery..... they called it a group 34 Deep cycle marine/rv battery but the amp hours where only set at 65 aH ...... now i know you can run an AGM Battery lower than a regular battery but not sure how much lower i can go without damage? This trailer sits in storage alot and it loses no power.... always at 12.8 volts with battery disconnect on off. so far am very happy with it.... just wish it had more amp hours. It was a little pricey at $199.99 but i wanted to eliminate adding water.
Joe
Wow, that is pricey for a 65AH AGM.

Here's one I'm looking at:

Group 27 AGM

Their web site doesn't specify AH, but I've asked them. The reserve power is 180 minutes which probably means it's 85 to 90 AH.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:

Here's one I'm looking at:

Group 27 AGM

Their web site doesn't specify AH, but I've asked them. The reserve power is 180 minutes which probably means it's 85 to 90 AH.
I didn't mention that the battery is $150 with free shipping.

I just received this email from them and it is a 90 AH battery:

----- Original Message -----
To: Monte
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: Message from Batteries Are Us

This is a 90 Ah battery;
tech

----- Original Message -----
To: Sales@Batteriesareus.com
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: Message from Batteries Are Us

What is the ampere/hour rating of the battery? I don't find it on your web site.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 1970 Boler
you can by the deep cycle Optima battery that is sealed but they are $$$

they are here:

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/...op_battery.asp
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Morgan....
That battery looks great to me .... If i saw it first i probably would have tried it!
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Thanks everyone. Spending tonight and tomorrow afternoon checking them out and deciding.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I've never owned an AGM battery.

I am not yet a fan of them because of the initial price and also because they have fewer AH than the equivalent lead-acid Marine DEEP CYCLE (not all marine batteries are deep cycle, some are starters and some are combination) and most I have seen are combination, not Deep Cycle. Close reading of the Optima sites will reveal that, including my observation that they are rated in Cold Cranking Amperage (CCA) which is a spec I find on a starting or cranking battery, but not on a true Deep Cycle.

I will continue to use El Cheapo Marine Deep Cycle batteries from auto parts/Wally, etc., and just don't bother to check the water... AGMs reportedly have twice the expected life of L-A batteries, but expectations don't always materialize. YMMV!

If a battery is locked safely away and you have good charging equipment, then an AGM might make some sense, but I've had a battery stolen (Four-year old Wally MDC) and had a bad converter, so I'm waiting for the AGM technology to overcome the lead-acid standard.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery