Need help finding leak...... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #1

Name: molly
Trailer: scamp
Ohio
Need help finding leak......

Hi
I have a 1987 Scamp that I cant find the source of a leak in. a puddle forms
on top of the wheel well. To the left of the electric box. In the picture, near where the screwdriver is. I have checked the rivots in the area of the leak and the window and the top window.
There is no water being used in the sink area. Only when it rains alot, does the puddle forn. Any suggestions?
PS Im not an expert restoration person, just want to stop the water!
Thanks in advance!
Molly
mollyaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I think you forgot the picture...

Sight unseen, if you have a window above this area, and you're only getting water in this area when it rains, I'd check to make sure that the weatherstrip under and around the sliding window is still good, seeing how it's getting up in years, they do dry out, wear out, and just deteriorate. And make sure that the drainage "weep hole" outside isn't obstructed with road dirt or other debris. Also check the outside seal around the entire window where it mates to the trailer, which may also need to be pulled, scraped and replaced due to its age. If the rain gets into the slider channel, and can't drain to the outside, it's probably going inside. Just something to check.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #3

Name: molly
Trailer: scamp
Ohio
leak

Click image for larger version

Name:	leak.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	122999
mollyaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Also, if there is a window above, make sure that the drain holes in the window frame and the drain channel are clear and clean. You may need to pull the rubber extrusion in which the glass slides, then lift out the sliding pane and clean it all up.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:40 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I had an aluminum framed crank out window over sink that leaked no matter what I did until I got some aluminum tape and applied it to the corners of the frame, inside the window, where I noticed the solder joints had cracks in them.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:38 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
Start testing using a garden hose.

Start with water only along the bottom edge of the window, lower window seal to body.
Use wide painters tape to keep water out of window channels.

If no drips inside after 10 minutes, remove the tape and do the lower window channel and drain area, slow the water flow to not overwhelm the window frame drains, and run under the window and over the frame inside.
Again if no leaks, move up the water to the upper window seal to body.

You could also try a painters tape seal, roof, over any of the seams and see if the leak is gone in the area

Eliminating as you go is the only way to isolate the leak, or do as I do, pull the window, clean all of the channels and drains, reseal to the body and reinstall
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote