Need help with a 1979 17' Boler Water Heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #1

Name: James/Wanda
Trailer: 17' Boler
Alberta
Need help with a 1979 17' Boler Water Heater

American Appliance MFG. CORP. Model No. 6 ARV

We are looking for any info, a manual would be GREAT, on the water heater.

We would like to start using it but not sure where to begin. The tank is rusted so we want to change that out but we just need to know where to begin.

I've included a picture of the label.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1317153336.jpg  
J W Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #2

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Mine is identical and I just got it to finally stop leaking after I replaced the pressure relief valve. Had initial problems figuring out how the drain valve worked but it works ok now. I am not sure about a manual if one exists or not. Check the forums document center. You say the tank is rusted out? Does it hold water? Leaks? Besides that you need to go through the lighting procedure. If the pilot light will not stay on it may need a new thermocouple.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
That's the unit that was in my '78 Boler 1700. When mine began to leak a bit and the pilot light wouldn't stay on, my friendly neighborhood RV fiixit shop took care of the matter by installing a whole new unit - all styrofoam encased and working like a champ!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #4

Alberta
Thank you for the replies.

I was hoping for an exposition of parts and if the tank was easily removable.

Time to pull it out for a closer look at how rusted out the tank is and bench testing.

Everything has worked without a hiccup on this old girl so we are crossing our fingers.

Any tips, tricks or words of encouragement would be much appreciated.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you dont already have a hot water tank cleaning wand you should consider one. Most water tanks are designed so that they dont completely drain out and as a result with time a build up of gunk happens at the bottom of the tank. If it hasnt been used in a while I would want to make sure that all the bottom gunk is cleared out before firing it up.

As far as lighting goes I have found that my hot water tank can be a bit fussy - even though its not the original one to the trailer & less than 6 years old. It always helps to light a burner on the stove first to get the gas flowing. I often seem to have to keep the pilot button pushed on longer than one would think necessary before it will stay light.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Alberta
We have decided, due to the very rusty appearance of the tank, to not waste the time and go with the Excel LPG GAS 1.6 gpm tankless gas water heater.

Has anyone used the product and are there problems with VENTLESS type product in an RV?

Thanks again for your replies.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You may want to do a google of the site or post under a new subject heading. This topic has been covered a few times and some members hare have used tankless heaters - I saw one being used a Bandon but it was set up outside.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
James and Wanda: please check your FiberglassRV Private Messages, and the e-mail account which you registered with FiberglassRV. There are messages waiting for you in both.

I am surprised that no one else has pointed to the manual in the Document Center which directly answers the original request, and that no one bothered to do the Google search which would have found that manual:
"American Appliance water heater site:fiberglassrv.com"
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #9

Name: Graeme
Trailer: Boler 1700 '79
Ontario
Hi there BCDave! I was wondering what unit your rv shop put in your trailer? I'm contemplating replacing mine in my '79 1700.
I'd appreciate any advice on these.
Thanks,
Graeme

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
That's the unit that was in my '78 Boler 1700. When mine began to leak a bit and the pilot light wouldn't stay on, my friendly neighborhood RV fiixit shop took care of the matter by installing a whole new unit - all styrofoam encased and working like a champ!
Crackedegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft Boler
We haven't done a thing with it this year other than finding a fiberglass water tank off a boat for $10. Hubby is going to play with it in the spring. He has been to get everything else up and running including to old converter so I'm sure this will be no different. Will log progress as he goes along. Sorry I didn't have more info for you.
Wanda M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedegg View Post
Hi there BCDave! I was wondering what unit your rv shop put in your trailer? I'm contemplating replacing mine in my '79 1700.
I'd appreciate any advice on these.
Thanks,
Graeme

Sorry for the delay - have been outta town for a few days

I wish I could just say "oh yeah - its an XYZ model 123" - but I have NO idea which model or make it was - and I have since sold the trailer, so I cannot just run out to the driveway for a quick peek!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #12

Name: Terry
Trailer: Security
British Columbia
Hi... I seen your old posting regarding the obsolete american appliance water heater 6 arv. I am trying to figure out how get that drain on the outside of the unit to work? We picked up a sweet 78 security moho (vangaurd), it all works pretty fine and I want to keep it that way as long as I can. It had a bypass installed but I realized the cold water intake valve is not functioning and frozen open. I ran over 2 gallons of antifreeze into the pressurized system and I believe a lot of the rv anti freeze went into the tank but not into the rest of the water system. I am replacing the defective valve on the hot water tank to be sure it is bypassed and recharging the system.
TGil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler