Need help with older Bigfoot oven lighting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2024, 08:17 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
British Columbia
Need help with older Bigfoot oven lighting

My new-to-me B17 Bigfoot Wedgewood stove burners work great. The stove is a T 2130 and overall is in decent shape, and the oven pilot even lights and burns steady. The manual says when you turn the thermostat/control to Broil, the flame should increase after a short time and envelope the sensing bulb. When I do this, it has absolutely no effect on the flame size. This suggests the problem is upstream and not to do with safety valve or the pilot itself...sound right?
I am getting a gas manometer from Amazon which should arrive tomorrow and I will try to check all line pressures I can manage.
The only thing I've done so far is take the pilot orifice cap out of the tube and clean it well...it was quite sooty, but this only helped marginally in the original size of the pilot flame. I will also take the gas lines off the oven control and check them for blockage and pressures. Not sure if it could be out of adjustment somehow. Will do the soap test on all fittings I muck with.
I really want to preserve and keep this stove in the trailer based on its overall condition. If I can't fix it myself or aren't able to obtain a specific part or two that is needed....are there any replacement, non-stock type, oven operating parts that I could install as a set? Maybe a more modern set of pieces from the thermostat down to the pilot?
I know it would be easy to run up prohibitive costs at some point throwing parts at the issue, and/or taking it to an RV shop...and I'd be better off sourcing a functioning older stove which appear to be available for about 3 to 400 CDN on sites like Facebook.
Anyway, I'm going to do some more sleuthing very soon, but would welcome any tips.
Bob
Victoria, BC
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 12:37 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
British Columbia
Solved

Sheepishly, I missed the simple fix at first. I tried what someone else did, bend the igniter holder and gas bulb forward into a very small pilot flame. This actually worked to get the main oven burner lit, but then you can't just have a pilot flame on without it always opening the main burner orifice.
I had earlier played with a a small set screw sunken inside the centre of the oven knob, to see what affect that would have, if any, on the small pilot flame. Turned it in a ways...nothing. Moved on to other things.
Then, on a whim and after I did the 'above', I turned the screw OUT, and turned the oven knob to Broil, and lo and behold a very large flame came out of the pilot circuit. This was designed to heat the gas bulb to open the oven circuit, then dies back to a small flame when you set the temperature you want. Sheesh, now I have to 'fix' the mods I did without breaking anything off. Odd, that the oven manual doesn't mention anything about this simple adjustment?
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, light, lighting