Need help with what to use - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #1

Name: Sam
Trailer: Owner 16' Amerigo
Tennessee
Need help with what to use

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to figure out what kind of wall board or something like sheet rock for my trailer walls. I plan on covering what ever I put up with maps like you would with wall paper. I decided I don't want the wood look for my trailer. What I don't have covered I will paint. So the material has to be paint-able.
Not sure what I am looking for will work or even invented yet.

Thanks

Sam
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #2

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
Hey Everyone,

I am trying to figure out what kind of wall board or something like sheet rock for my trailer walls. I plan on covering what ever I put up with maps like you would with wall paper. I decided I don't want the wood look for my trailer. What I don't have covered I will paint. So the material has to be paint-able.
Not sure what I am looking for will work or even invented yet.

Thanks

Sam
------------------------------------------------------
Just a thought here Sam.....what about flexable Cork? It would be perfect to pin your maps to.
Just my 2cents.
Lew
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #3

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Like this.....
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
And cork makes a great insulater too!
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #5

Tennessee
That would work if I had walls, maybe I should have said I gutted my trailer and starting from the fiberglass inward..... I plan on using at least 1" styrofoam the blue stuff or the foil one side. Then use something like a 1" wood stud to attach the wall to. And I have a lot of aviation maps that I will use like wall paper over a lot of the trailer walls.

And I have been looking at a lot of great post for ideas and how everyone else did or does it and your a great group and resource for me! THanks!

Ok back the wall? Any idea's?
Thanks
SAm
Old 12-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I'd avoid sheet rock, if for no other reason than the weight. If you are adding studs & want a rigid surface, Lauan plywood or one of its equivalents might be a choice. It is available in a variety of thicknesses, and even can be purchased as "Bending Plywood", a form that has all the plies going the same way so it can bend around curves.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Because of the flexible nature of the fiberglass, most trailers have a stetchable marine fabric/carpet covering over a flexible insulation, usually closed cell foam or reflectix. Light weight and easy integration with windows, doors and other structures are added advantages. While stud walls, rigid insulation, and similar construction techniques are found in standard RV's most here blame the shortened lifespan of such trailers on those practices. That said, thinking outside the box has led to some very creative trailer interiors. What ever you do, please share. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #8

Tennessee
HEy Raz,

Thanks for the insight on the fiberglass and rigid build. I was wondering about all that.
I am trying to think out side the box with all this and have in mind to make the walls and the floor indepentant of each other, in other words not joined together. kind of let things more or less float with the flexing of the trailer. I plan on documenting all the work I am doing and sharing the good bad and the ugly parts....

so far the lauan is the only way but open for more ideas!

Thanks
SAm
Old 12-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Sam, are you aware of the search feature. Upper right, click on search. The second box down allows for a Google search of this forum. Try wall covering as a start. It will keep you busy for a long time. Enjoy, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
HEy Raz,

Thanks for the insight on the fiberglass and rigid build. I was wondering about all that.
I am trying to think out side the box with all this and have in mind to make the walls and the floor indepentant of each other, in other words not joined together. kind of let things more or less float with the flexing of the trailer. I plan on documenting all the work I am doing and sharing the good bad and the ugly parts....

so far the lauan is the only way but open for more ideas!

Thanks
SAm
I'm not sure what you mean by "float with the flexing of the trailer", but it sounds....shall we say "unstable" to me.

At any rate:

If a solid interior surface is what you're after, I'd definitely recommend the type of (fiberglass?) panel used for kitchens and baths. It's sturdier than luan and would be in no danger of delaminating due to moisture in the rig interior. Matching trim/joint pieces are available.

It's usually called "fiber reinforced plastic (FRP)". comes in 4x8 sheets just like plywood, isn't much if at all more expensive, and is very washable, obviously.

This pic shows the almond color- it also comes in white and probably a host of other colors- although I think you could paint it if properly primed.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummm, you're going to need something fairly flexible. Although the Amerigo isn't as egg shaped as some, there is still some curves to the walls (especially belly band down... see pic below) and then there's the corners. The reason a lot of trailers use reflectix as insulation and something stretchy like rat fur, is to keep reasonably smooth walls without alot of bunching in the corners. It would be a lot easier if the trailer was slab sided... but then it wouldn't be all molded

Here is a thread you may want to read, sounds interesting to me! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-35185.html
Attached Thumbnails
Amerigo-01.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #12

Registry
I disagree there, Donna, at least in this case. The Amerigo has virtually right angles in its design. I think the FRP panels I suggested would work very well, especially over the kind of insulation the O.P. is contemplating. And there are joint/finish edges available not just for panel edges, but for corners.

Francesca
Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #13

Tennessee
great information I am getting here, My plan was to make the wall straight up and down, not to follow the shape of the wall. So I am thinking there is going to be twist of some sort around the axis through the center front to back? So I would love to hear more about this from the people who have been where I am now.
Am I thinking wrong or what do I need to be aware of as I build the inside out?
Thanks for the help I have gotten so far and looking forward to more input.

Sam
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I will second the idea that Francesca offers as I have used those Fiberglass panels many times and they are very strong,really flexible and easy to work with too.

There are a lot of edge finishing moldings sold that will let you trim the edges and corners yet also let the panels float to account for movement on the road.

Though the panels are incredibly strong they are also easily flexed and bent to help with contoured walls and strange angles like we often have in out rigs and the panels are easily cut and formed with common woodworking tools.

Another great feature is that being fiberglass they are resistant to rotting just like the rest of our Egg's and they take well to adhesives and fasteners.

You also end up with a finished surface requiring nothing further if you like that but you can also get them in a smooth finish just right for you Map Wallpaper idea.

They are sold here at Lowes and Home Depot too.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #15

Tennessee
Sounds like FWB is the way to go. I have posted a lot of pictures of my trailer stripped out and I don't believe the slight curve will be a problem, If I plan it right I can put a lot of my utilities there and between the insulation the inside wall. Take a look at my pictures and it's reallya a ton of room to work with and I have really studied everyones trailers and it really inspires me. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Sam
Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #16

Registry
I'd love to see the pictures but don't know where to look for them...and now that you mention it I hope you'll post a before/after bunch here while you're moving along!

A suggestion re. points of attachment for the FRP:

I think you said you intend to install furring strips...my advice is to glass them on/in directly to the shell of the trailer. The result is not only invisible from the outside, it's waterproof and enhances the overall strength of the shell.

Francesca
Old 12-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #17

Tennessee
Go to profile and view my album I think, I can so I am guess you can. Or try this
Fiberglass RV - samcrimm's Album: My Amerigo build

Sam