Need info: Ultra Kool Air Conditioner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #21

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
Here is the AC unit installed in the front of the Boler behind the tongue box. Intake and exhaust are going through an access hatch. Condensate hose through the floor. Seems to be working quite good. I may try to separate the exhaust and intake a little better while hatch is open.
Attached Thumbnails
installed ac.jpg   outside ac.jpg  

outside ac2.jpg  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #22

Ontario
Registry
AC stopped working - replaced with Cool Cat

My "used" air conditioner gave up the ghost in August on the hottest day (of course). So we decided to find a replacement and the "Cool cat" came up as a possible replacement. They are used in T@B trailers among others. We called Dometic and found them to be quite expensive. $800 CAN + $250 install kit. And then, just by shear luck we found a briefly used one locally that was more reasonably priced. I viewed it and although I found it to be quite large, we decided to go ahead with it. The install was done by a local RV repair shop in the front where the old one was. We made a cover to keep out any rain and so on. The hole required in the front is quite large compared to the smaller unit but is necessary for proper function. We used it this past weekend on a camping trip. During the day we used the AC and at night it dipped down to 12 degrees C. The Heat Pump was then used for heating. I must admit we love its performance although it may be a little overkill in terms of power. 11000 btu. Here is a pic from the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I had a CoolCat in my T@da, because it was over sized, it would short cycle, i.e., on for a short period, off and then repeat. It never ran long enough to properly remove humidity until I installed a digital thermostat that I could program on/off limits.
The other issue was condensate running on floor unless you tilted the unit/trailer properly.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
noel,
You have been a busy person, 2 replacements in 90 days. Hopefully you will have better luck with cool cat, just try to get a digital thermostat.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #25

Ontario
Registry
Hi Jim
The thermostat that was installed is an analog one. i agree a digital one would be better to set limits. I have read about condensate leaking as well, so i made sure the condensate tray on the bottom is tilted towards the front of the trailer enough to properly drain the tray. hopefully this will address any possible floods issues.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #26

Ontario
Registry
Hi Jim
Actually it was the same unit I was trying to make it work. So far I am glad we got the cool cat. I'm sure I can acquire a dig stat without too much trouble. Thanks for the input. much appreciated.