Need info: Ultra Kool Air Conditioner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #1

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
Need info: Ultra Kool Air Conditioner

Has anyone ever heard of an Ultra Kool RV Air conditioner that fits in a closet. No exhaust. Just a condensate hose through the floor. Couldn't find anything on the net. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Any air conditioner will need to vent the hot air through some kind of vent to the outside..
Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

Ontario
Registry
I'm wondering if this mfg is a heat pump or reverse air conditioner. I have purchased this older unit. It was installed in a truck camper. There is no exhaust ducting. Just a small condensate tube. the deal was too good to pass up as its small and fits in a closet. Seems odd that there is no exhaust outlet though. This is an older unit. Apparently it draws air from the bottom, cools it, and then expels it out the top into the room it was drawn from. I pick it up in two weeks
Old 06-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #4

Ontario
Registry
Here is a pic of the unit. This is all I have
Attached Thumbnails
Ultra Kool.JPG  
Old 06-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I'd be interested in how well it works with no exhaust .
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespnd View Post
...... I pick it up in two weeks
Let us know how it works for you. I'm puzzled as to how it might function.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Let us know how it works for you. I'm puzzled as to how it might function.
I think the way that works is the cooled air blows around the room, (trailer) the warmer collects around the unit and in places where the air isn't moving, thus making you feel cooler as long as you're in the air flow.

Kind of reminds of the early days of AC in big truck (class 8). There wasn't enough AC to cool the cab, but by blowing cold air on the occupants of the cab, the occupants were cooled.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #8

Ontario
Registry
There is the possibility that this unit may also work like an evaporative air cooler. Once I get the unit and learn more, I will let keep you posted. Maybe in the interim someone may recognize the pic provided and be able to fill us in on how it functions without a hot air exhaust.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #9

Ontario
Registry
What do you make of this?

ACW100 No-Exhaust Portable Air Conditioner - 1,000 BTU

No Exhaust. Only 1000 BTU but its the function I'm talking about. Food for thought.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #10

Trailer: Play Pac
Do you know what kind or year of camper it came out of?
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #11

Trailer: Play Pac
Look at this: 1985 16 ft. Scamp Trailer with Air-Conditioning | Grand Haven, MI | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Has the photo also. Maybe you could still contact those people and ask them about it
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
"The ACW100 Air Conditioner is a true breakthrough in spot cooling technology! Spot cooling solely cools a small surrounding area specifically."

The above quote from the website pretty much confirms what I said.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #13

Name: Dick
Trailer: Scamp 13ft. 2012
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
"The ACW100 Air Conditioner is a true breakthrough in spot cooling technology! Spot cooling solely cools a small surrounding area specifically."

The above quote from the website pretty much confirms what I said.

I purchased and installed the ACW100 into my 2012 13 ft. Scamp. Bottom line is that it will not cool a 13 ft Scamp. Even tried venting the hot air out and still not enough to cool it.

However, I installed a 5000 btu Fridaire in the closet, vented it to the outside through a duct through the wheel well. No hole in the wall that way. Air for the hot air fan is drawn through a hole to the underside of the trailer under the dinette seat. This works very well and cools just fine. I would post pictures if I could figure out how to do it on this forum.
Dick N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #14

Ontario
Registry
This Ultra Kool Air conditioner is in fact a recirculation unit made by Kysor. (business has changed hands) This is how it works. Warm/Hot air is pulled in from the front (room), then it is drawn over the cooling fins, and then blows the cool air back into the room. There is no fresh air setting. I would need to draw fresh in (cracking a window) once the air is cooled down. As it was explained to me by the mfg, it is exactly the same as a car system. The ac unit in a car works more efficiently in recirculation mode to cool the car down. If you wish to have fresh air, turn it to fresh air mode which opens the intake vent from outside. The air conditioner must then cool down the hot air from outside making it less efficient but at least you have fresh air. So, the answer is, this unit does not need to be vented as it "Does not produce the heat" an window AC does. I have yet to test this unit as it has been quite nice here in southern Ontario the past few days, but I plan to this coming weekend. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
It is basically a dehumidifier..., you feel cooler with less moisture in the air.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #16

Ontario
Registry
I tested the unit. It blow ice cold air out the front and "cool" air out the back. See the pics . Its does say Room Air Conditioner on the model tag. You can make your own mind up as to how this works, but all I know is that it works. And that's all I'm after on a hot day.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1254.jpg   IMG_1253.jpg  

IMG_1259.jpg   IMG_1261.jpg  

Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespnd View Post
This Ultra Kool Air conditioner is in fact a recirculation unit made by Kysor. (business has changed hands) This is how it works. Warm/Hot air is pulled in from the front (room), then it is drawn over the cooling fins, and then blows the cool air back into the room. There is no fresh air setting. I would need to draw fresh in (cracking a window) once the air is cooled down. As it was explained to me by the mfg, it is exactly the same as a car system. The ac unit in a car works more efficiently in recirculation mode to cool the car down. If you wish to have fresh air, turn it to fresh air mode which opens the intake vent from outside. The air conditioner must then cool down the hot air from outside making it less efficient but at least you have fresh air. So, the answer is, this unit does not need to be vented as it "Does not produce the heat" an window AC does. I have yet to test this unit as it has been quite nice here in southern Ontario the past few days, but I plan to this coming weekend. I will let you know how it goes.
There is one MAJOR difference between this and a car unit. The car's a/c pumps the heat to the outside world via the condensor coils mounted in front of the radiator. When on "recirc" it takes the already-cool air from inside the car and extracts even more heat from it. However that heat still has to "be put somewhere" - outside the car via the condensor again.

In this case, if there is NO hot air exhaust then I am a loss to understand how it does anything except consume power and thus CREATE more heat

Where does it put the heat?

So far in this thread it seems that it puts it back into the room. It will also consume energy, which creates even more heat.

Is it a perpetual motion machine?

Please help me understand.....
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is basically a dehumidifier..., you feel cooler with less moisture in the air.
This sounds about right. When the dehumidifier runs in our basement for a long time, it gets hot down there, as all of the energy that it consumes is changed into heat via one method or another.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #19

Ontario
Registry
Correction. After testing this unit further I discovered it does in fact blow warm air out the back. Hence the need to exhaust. I'm trying to figure out a nice way to do this for my location. Also , luckily the cooling unit sits in a dish that catches the condensate and empties by a hole out the back which can be emptied by a hole through the floor. Sorry for the confusion, although I was somewhat hopeful what I was told was possible with this unit. Not so.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
When I was younger, I wondered why a room could not be cooled by leaving the refrigerator door open. Similar problem.....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote