need new foot-longer propane hose - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
need new foot-longer propane hose

Scamp sells this propane hose: Gas Tank Hose

Description: 24" hose 3/8" female flare x 3/8" female flare. Used to adapt from the flare elbow fitting on the regulator to the flare fitting on the bulkhead fitting on the Scamp trailer.
Price - $16.00

I need a longer than 24" hose because my new propane cover can't sit flat with the short reach of the hose that's on their now.

I found this 3-footer: 3/8" X 3/8" LP Hose, 3'

Description: 3/8" X 3/8" LP Hose, 36".
For use with existing gas supply
Connects an appliance equipped with 3/8" male flare
3/8" female flare x 3/8" female flare
Price - $13.66

Seems funny a hose a foot longer would cost almost $3 less ... so maybe it's a quality issue? What do you all think? Should I go ahead and order this longer hose? Does it seem it's a perfect match to Scamp's hose except for length?

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
It could be overhead and inventory. shoprvparts might sell 6000 a year and get a quantity discount where as Scamp might sell 600. Just a guess.

I am sure it would be fine. Perhaps do a google review on the company? my 2c and others who know more than me will answer too.

Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post

I need a longer than 24" hose because my new propane cover can't sit flat with the short reach of the hose that's on their now.
If I'm reading the above right, you need a longer hose between the regulator and the tank- is that right?

If so:
The hose at Scamp's website is for connection between the regulator and the trailer bulkhead- wrong fittings for tank-to-regulator. If that's the application, you'll need something that looks like this:

The "type 1 Acme by 1/4 in. inverted flare" shown is an off-the-rack item at any RV store, though I'm not sure about lengths longer than 24". For that you may have to go to an old fashioned POL by 1/4 in flare as shown at this link.

Another possibility:
I've had several "custom size" gas lines put together at two different RV service centers, both of which charged only for the materials.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Propane hoses are all standard both hose and fittings.
More an issue of markup on the one that sells best.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm only a couple of miles from a gas fireplace/barbeque joint... they'll build me whatever length of hose I need, with proper fittings. Dang cheap compared to off the shelf stuff + S&H. Look around your area. Remember, it doesn't have to be RV rated.... just propane!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #6

Texas
Francesca, the two hoses between tanks and regulator are fine. It's the hose between regulator and trailer that is too short.

LOL, thx for looking out for me though. I need supervision for sure until I get this stuff sorted out in my brain.

Sharon
Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #7

Texas
thx for heads up on that Donna.

S.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Higher price doesn't always (or even most of the time) mean higher quality. For example, I know of a particular battery charger model that can be purchased for anywhere from $23 to $40, depending on the website. Same exact unit, just different prices.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
There is a barbecue store here which has a wide selection of hoses and fittings; they could certainly assemble something, but might involve adapters,because the don't actually make hose connections. A local industrial hose supplier does actually install fittings on hoses, and can make any legal configuration.

Neither type of supplier is required in this case, since the required hose is a very common configuration. I needed the same thing (again in a longer-than-original length) to rearrange a stupid configuration in another trailer, and I just bought it off-the-shelf.

The shorter Scamp size might just be less common, and thus less competitively priced. There seem to be very few manufacturers of the actual hose and fittings, so as long as the people who assemble them are reasonably careful, the final assemblies will be comparable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane