Need options for a level Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2006, 08:41 AM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
My recently acquired new tow vehicle, a '92 Ford Explorer, is a pleasure to drive, and tow with, but I am uncomfortable with the angle Burro assumes when hitched up to the class 2 bumper hitch that came with the truck.

Just took this rig out for a road test and could detect no problems with highway swaying or instability of any sort, so that's not the issue. Of course, it wasn't windy. I simply don't feel good about that Burro tail bumper being so close to the ground. It's close. I also believe a level tow is best. What's my best (read simplest/cheapest) option for correcting this?
  1. Getting a new hitch is out. Are there adapters for that Ford bumper bracket?
  2. Getting a new axle that sits taller is premature and probably overkill and besides, I won't just throw away my brand new 13" tires and rims.
  3. Am I right that inserting a 2" (plus?) spacer between the axle bracket and the frame will require welding expertise?
Attached Thumbnails
towburro.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:16 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a receiver hitch on my 96 Explorer, it is a bolt on assembly that you can install yourself or can be done by a shop in a couple hours. It provides a 2x2 inch class III hitch that will allow for a variety of hitch options. It also moves the trailer farther aft which improves access to the back of the Ford.

I don't know of any good way to lower a bumper hitch point without increasing the torque or moment on the bumper.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If I tried to tow my Scamp with my Blazer's bumber hitch I'd have exactly the same problem. Shop around and you can find receiver hitches without a lot of expense. For the class III hitch I put on I think I paid $140. I did the install. The piece of mind knowing I'm towing level and with a sturdy hitch is worth every penny I paid for the hitch.

I'm not sure why getting a new hitch is "out". For whatever reason maybe a little re-e valuation is needed.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Best solution is to get a receiver hitch from someplace like ETrailer (or go to UHaul and have it done). Placing a spacer would definitely require welding expertise...

BTW, putting the hitch ball further behind the bumper makes trailer sway have more effect on the tow vehicle and makes backing a bit harder -- What I do is slide my ball mount all the way in, mark it and drill new holes to get the ball as close in as possible. I can still pull it out to the original position if need be.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
My car has a Class II (1-1/4") receiver hitch, and I bought a drop ball mount, so that the trailer rides level. My receiver hitch was installed at U-Haul, with light hook-up, for $135.00
My van has a Class III, (2"), and I had to buy an even lower drop ball mount for it too.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think this could be solved pretty inexpensively as a DIY...go to a wrecking yard and get the needed receiver hitch! Should run at least half the price of a brand-new one (I go to a U-Pull-It and anything I can CARRY, I get for $25). Since they bolt in, easy-peazy. Change the wiring to the new plug too! Myron since you're looking to purchase one for a 92 vehicle...they may be LOTs to chose from. Wrecking yard guys are pretty knowledgable about what fits...what. Let your fingers do the work and CALL the wrecking yards in your area.

THEN, get a drawbar (stinger) that allows your trailer to tow as level as possible.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #7

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Right on, Donna. Since I got the '92 I've already been to a few salvage yards for other needed parts, so why not a hitch! I will be looking, though I expect that will be a toughie. So far I have found the following salvaged parts:
  1. Full size spare rim (with tire) and the working winch Ford designed to keep it under the vehicle.
  2. Replacement rear window wiper motor.
  3. Replacement rear window middle lens stop light and a washer nozzle.
  4. Air conditioning pressure switch that connects to condenser under hood.
  5. 4x4 electric switch on dashboard, and switch for blower-fan motor.
  6. Tail pipe, hangars, and resonator, wow, near brand new.
  7. Headliner buttons, and plastic door lock grips, and clean trim for door panel controls.
Yes, re-cycling can be beneficial, profitable, satisfying fun, and each golden find becomes one of life's minor moral victories.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Right on, Donna. Since I got the '92 I've already been to a few salvage yards for other needed parts, so why not a hitch! I will be looking, though I expect that will be a toughie. So far I have found the following salvaged parts:
  1. Full size spare rim (with tire) and the working winch Ford designed to keep it under the vehicle.
  2. Replacement rear window wiper motor.
  3. Replacement rear window middle lens stop light and a washer nozzle.
  4. Air conditioning pressure switch that connects to condenser under hood.
  5. 4x4 electric switch on dashboard, and switch for blower-fan motor.
  6. Tail pipe, hangars, and resonator, wow, near brand new.
  7. Headliner buttons, and plastic door lock grips, and clean trim for door panel controls.
Yes, re-cycling can be beneficial, profitable, satisfying fun, and each golden find becomes one of life's minor moral victories.
Way to go, Myron! Going to the 'man's mall' for parts is how I manage to keep my three Volvo's on the road. I even found a five way power-seat control switch for the wife's car last week! Sometimes one can get lucky and find great accessories also!

It's good to put those parts to use that would otherwise be crushed and save oneself money at the same time!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro