Need pics of vent on Trill 4500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Hello all Trillium 4500 owners
Am desperately seeking photos of the outside vent/hood metalwork of the furnace for our 1979 trillium which is missing and has to be refabricated. Furnace is in great shape but metalwork has corroaded and disintigrated when we weren't using it.
All help/advice/pics and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Donna R
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
Hello all Trillium 4500 owners
Am desperately seeking photos of the outside vent/hood metalwork of the furnace for our 1979 trillium which is missing and has to be refabricated. Furnace is in great shape but metalwork has corroaded and disintigrated when we weren't using it.
All help/advice/pics and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Donna R
There you go - this is a 1978 - hope that's close enough. I believe this furnace is not unique to the 4500, so you may want to widen your search to any Trillium trailer that is being parted out.
Phil H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Don't forget the Albums pages. There are a couple photos that are a little closer of both sides of the Trill 4500.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #4

Registry
Thank you both Steve and Phil
Looked at the albums and could not see one that was close enough and with enough detail including the metal vent part leading from the furnace to the outside grill.
Will hope that someone can come up with a much closer pic.....or we will check with the fabricator or trailer place or someone.

Donna R
Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
It just so happens that I fixed up and resealed mine on my 74 Trillium 1300 last weekend. Hopefully it's the same? I resealed the edges with butyl tape, spray painted the rusted duct ending with black high temp BBQ paint, and replaced all the screws with stainless steel ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Angle.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	11442

Name:	Duct.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	11444
Attached Thumbnails
Front.jpg   Behind.jpg  

Old 01-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #6

Registry
Thank You Daniel
Those are great photos and I will show my partner and see if that answers all his questions before he tackles the repairs. I believe the end of our pipe looked different but it all crumbled while in storage, so if we follow your design, all should be fine.
Thank you
Donna
Old 01-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Those are great photos and I will show my partner and see if that answers all his questions before he tackles the repairs. I believe the end of our pipe looked different but it all crumbled while in storage, so if we follow your design, all should be fine.
Let me know if you need more pics...

Not sure how you'd go about fixing up yours... Some obvious precautions: If the pipe work is heavily corroded, do take a look to ensure there are no holes that could leak fumes into the compartment. As for the metal cover, a new one should obviously be made in such a way not to restrict the air flow, while preventing small animals from camping in your duct work and preventing large amounts of water from entering while camping or driving. There might actually be some type of replacement duct system and/or cover you could get at your local RV parts shop.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #8

Registry

Hi daniel:
Thanks for the photos and information. It's hard too see from the flat black BBQ paint, but I'm trying to determine if there is any space or opening at the top of the vent. Our old rusted out one is the same as yours, with a sloped top, but I am not sure if the front plate is sealed at the top, has a thin slit/opening, has a half inch gap, or what. It is totally open at the bottom, and seemed to have been closed at the top, but that is where it was most rusty, so I can't tell if it ever had a space for air flow from the top. Would appreciate an idea from you.
Thanks, Lance (partner of Donna R)
Old 02-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #9

Here's a guess on how it works, along with a couple more pics. <insert disclaimer here >. The outer pipe would be the air intake, the smaller inner pipe would be the exhaust, and the hood structure covering the inner pipe is what you're trying to rebuild. Basically, the hood should allow the exhaust fumes to exit upwards from the end of the pipe (note the large opening), while preventing too much of it from going back through the intake. It should also prevent water from entering and accumulating (slanted top, and opening at the bottom). There are two other covering layers above the hood that are most likely meant to prevent more rain from going into the outer pipe. So if you're considering making one yourself, you would basically need to build something that covers those requirements. One thing definitely worth mentioning though is that if your hood was rusted to a point where it crumbled, you might want to triple check the rest of the pipes.

Name:	Top_Front.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	11568

Name:	Bottom_Angle.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	11570

PM me your email address if you need more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Top_Angle.jpg  
Old 02-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #10

Registry
Daniel
The pictures were PERFECT. Thank you very much
Donna and Lance