Need Quick Leaky Window Fix - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #1

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Burro
Utah
Need Quick Leaky Window Fix

I'm taking my Burro out (posted about the plumbing in another thread) this week and I found that there's a leak around one of the windows.. or the vent, not sure, but the back area.

Anyway I don't have time to pull out the window and reset it, which seems to be the most common advice on the forums. What would be a quick fix that would prevent me from getting wet on my trip? Then when I get back I can look into a more permanent solution.

I've read that silicone is bad with fiberglass? I actually have some Eternabond tape on order from Amazon but it won't come until tomorrow (Tuesday) and it's supposed to rain tonight. So anything I could pick up at Home Depot for a quick temporary fix?

Thanks!
Cynthia
Cynthiablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Waterproof, NO RESIDUE!

Duck Brand No-Residue Duct Tape, 1.88" x 25 yd - Walmart.com
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That's the stuff to use. Just don't leave it on too long. Oh and you might want to check the floor near that window. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #4

Utah
Excellent thanks! and cheap too. I'll run to Walmart and put some over the windows and the vents.

I will be on the road for 2 weeks so I hope that's not too long to leave it on.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthiablue View Post
Excellent thanks! and cheap too. I'll run to Walmart and put some over the windows and the vents.

I will be on the road for 2 weeks so I hope that's not too long to leave it on.
Couple of weeks will be just fine. I think "time" is shortened when left on during hot weather.

" This no-residue tape lifts cleanly from its surface without leaving particles as long as six months after its first application. "
Old 04-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

Utah
Oh very nice thanks!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I used regular duct tape (Ace) with no I'll effects. It was on about 3 weeks. When I had residue from industrial grade Velcro I found Goo Gone removed it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #8

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I like using the 3M blue painters tape for sealing. In an emergency I tried the duct tape around the window on my Casita and when I peeled it off it took some of the windows black paint with it.
The 3M blue tape is UV resistant but will only last up to two weeks. It's great to seal with in an emergency. I still carry duct tape for other emergencies.

Sent from my Nexus using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #9

Utah
Thanks. I actually got some No-Residue Duck Tape and put it on last night. So hopefully I'll be good for this trip.

Then I'll probably be back wondering all about how to remove and reseal a window...
Old 04-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #10

Best of luck Cynthia, have a ton of fun!
Old 04-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #11

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
First, I've heard that silicone is bad for fiberglass. I've found it true that the cheap, household stuff doesn't last and the expensive RTV stuff from my RV dealer is very hard to remove. When I rebuilt the frames on my front and back windows I used butyl tape to re-seal them but ran a bead of the expensive silicone along the top and sides. I've also used it to seal the two side windows until I get time to rebuild those. Seems fine. Don't know about your trailer, but I was able to tighten the screws on the old windows before making the temporary seal.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #12

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Hi Cynthiablue, a quick heads up in case you didn't know....the Burro is a double shell fiberglass. Water can leak between the fiberglass layers and puddle on the floor in the little under the seat storage areas. I didn't know and ended up with a painful rear floor replacement job. Check if you haven't yet!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #13

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thank you for this! We have been using regular duct tape to tape down a window while in transit (the crank is broken and I don't like seeing it flap open!) It works, but I hate the sticky residue! Will give this a try!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote