Need suggestions about window leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2016, 01:14 AM   #1

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Texas
Registry
Need suggestions about window leaks

I have a 1974 Hunter Compact - water collected in the inside window rails - I will take photos if someone can help. Are what I think are drain holes supposed to be open or plugged up? We are tracking down rusted screws and tightening others. If the seals are leaking can we run a bead of silicone around or do you have to remove the window and reinstall? TIA
macmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:34 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmarilyn View Post
I have a 1974 Hunter Compact - water collected in the inside window rails - I will take photos if someone can help. Are what I think are drain holes supposed to be open or plugged up? We are tracking down rusted screws and tightening others. If the seals are leaking can we run a bead of silicone around or do you have to remove the window and reinstall? TIA
Drain holes should always be kept open. A piece of grass trimmer line works well for that. You do not want to use any silicone on FG TTs. Removing the window, cleaning the mounting surfaces and replacing the butyl tape is the way to go. Others with hands on HC knowledge will be along soon.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #3

Texas
Registry
lol - as we started checking to find where the water was coming from, we realized when the previous owner reinstalled them he may have in advertantly rotated the side window 180 degrees and the drain is on the top. However the front window also has a little hole in the glazing (between the glass and aluminum frame.) It looks like we may want some plugs in the front window drain holes when driving because rain seems to push water in while we are driving.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Compact Junior
Saskatchewan
Question Fellow Compact jr Suggsestions

My wife and I renovated our CJ this past summer and chief amongst the issues were windows. What we did was:
1. Made sure the drain gaps at the bottom of the window track was open
2. Took all screws out and removed the windows and cleaned and sanded gunk and rotted wood
3. Butyl taped window to body
4. Installed thicker window trim inside (most was rotted anyway) to allow for longer holding screws
5. Re-installed windows with longer holding screws.
6. The crowning feature though was that we installed a 'splash guard' at the top of each window using the original screw holes. These I 'manufactured' from a strip of aluminum 90 angle roof edge - 1 1/2" drip run slightly bent down for drainage. We sealed the top raw edge with sealant. The feature extends 1 1/2 inches out from each side of the windows and the edge was rolled down slightly.

We encountered 2 major rains this past summer. The splash guard redirected the water and caused less to accumulate in the bottom rail of the window.

Good luck fellow Compact owner. We rule.<_<
jish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #5

Texas
Registry
I'd like to see a picture of your shields - I wondered if something like that would be good. Glad to hear yours work!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:46 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
They sell RV gutter with sticky-tape mounting.
https://www.amazon.com/Esssentials-U...DG0PH9V8NZWJ97
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #7

Texas
Registry
interesting - did you also get the end caps? Did you have any problem keeping them adhered?

Tags
leaks, window leaks