Need the dimensions of Compact 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2006, 08:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Hey-O!

I am looking at a Compact 2 and was wondering if someone could tell me the bed size and the height with the lid up?

What is next to the closet, too?

Many thanks!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Gigi,
I've never seen a Compact II in person, but I can't imagine that it's much different than a Compact Jr. in most dimensions. My Jr. has a bed that is 70" X 70". It is 75" tall inside with the "lid" up. On the curbside there is a closet with a storage cabinet underneath. Beside the closet is the ice box with two drawers under it and another storage cabinet next to the floor. If there is a furnace, it will take up the space of one of the lower storage cabinets. Tom Trostel
Old 05-25-2006, 08:40 AM   #3

Thanks, Tom!

I've emailed this ebay fella to let me take a look at the camper and he ignores the request. It's intriquing, just because of the bed size.

I appreciate the information!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:29 AM   #4

Trailer:
My understanding, having studied this when preparing my Compact-a-like design, was that while the Compact Jr had two longitudinal single beds that could be joined, the Compact II has a transverse-only dinette/double bed with extra storage in the released space - a closet on the galley side and space for both a refrigerator and a toilet compartment on the curb side.

Of course this is all from photos, as I've never seen either Compact 'in the flesh'.

If you want to PM me your email address, I can send you a few of the 100+ photos of Compacts I've saved* that show this layout.

Andrew

* Sad or what?
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I think that the II may have a smaller/shorter pop top. It seems that it only runs the distance from the door to the dinette. Can any of the more knowledgeables confirm or deny that? A good picture of the one for sale could probably give us the answer.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
My understanding, having studied this when preparing my Compact-a-like design, was that while the Compact Jr had two longitudinal single beds that could be joined, the Compact II has a transverse-only dinette/double bed with extra storage in the released space - a closet on the galley side and space for both a refrigerator and a toilet compartment on the curb side.

Of course this is all from photos, as I've never seen either Compact 'in the flesh'.

If you want to PM me your email address, I can send you a few of the 100+ photos of Compacts I've saved* that show this layout.

Andrew

* Sad or what?
Andrew, I'm an interior designer...you have no idea what's in these files!
Btw, I've always wanted to ask you, where in England are you from? I've been there 5 or so times, usually with a car in the countryside, and have seen quite a bit. Your countryside is just unreal. I'd love to set up my easel for a month or two. Or, better yet, get a camper for a year or two!

email me the pics! I'd love it!
studio_gigi@yahoo.com

Many thanks!
Gigi
Old 05-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
I think that the II may have a smaller/shorter pop top. It seems that it only runs the distance from the door to the dinette. Can any of the more knowledgeables confirm or deny that? A good picture of the one for sale could probably give us the answer.
I agree with you, Suz. From the pictures, I think that's right. I'm trying to take a look at this thing, it concerns me that he's unwilling to let someone interested in bidding on it do so. I'd be happy just looking at the exterior to get a feel on it.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
Suz

Registry
Quote:
I'm trying to take a look at this thing, it concerns me that he's unwilling to let someone interested in bidding on it do so. I'd be happy just looking at the exterior to get a feel on it.
No way I'd bid on it if he won't show it to you. That sends all types of red flags to me. Even if it was stored at his home and he didn't want you there, he could hook it up and meet you in a parking lot somewhere. If it won't tow that far (like down the block) then I think the trailer may have a problem that you wouldn't want to tackle.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
No way I'd bid on it if he won't show it to you. That sends all types of red flags to me. Even if it was stored at his home and he didn't want you there, he could hook it up and meet you in a parking lot somewhere. If it won't tow that far (like down the block) then I think the trailer may have a problem that you wouldn't want to tackle.
That's how I'm feeling, Suz, especially since the photos show that it's sitting on a curb somewhere.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #10
Suz

Registry
I don't know if it would bother you, but since I'm 5'7", the bed size would be a little worrisome to me. At 70", it is 5" shorter than a standard mattress and 10" shorter than a king or queen.

The 75" (trailer width at bed height) that my Casita gives me is very adequate, but I wouldn't want it any smaller.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:55 AM   #11

Trailer:
Quote:
I think that the II may have a smaller/shorter pop top.
Yes - see pic below. I've also added a couple of the interior photos I've sent to Gigi, showing the extra cabinets in a Compact II. This one has probably been repainted and had new cabinet doors.

If anyone here took those eBay photos, I hope you don't mind them being 'borrowed'!

Quote:
Btw, I've always wanted to ask you, where in England are you from?
Newcastle Upon Tyne, on the North East coast, just south of Scotland. I hope anyone visiting the North of England will feel free to contact me.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
compact77.JPG   compact82.JPG  

compact84.JPG  
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes - see pic below. I've also added a couple of the interior photos I've sent to Gigi, showing the extra cabinets in a Compact II. This one has probably been repainted and had new cabinet doors.

If anyone here took those eBay photos, I hope you don't mind them being 'borrowed'!
Newcastle Upon Tyne, on the North East coast, just south of Scotland. I hope anyone visiting the North of England will feel free to contact me.

Andrew
I just sent you an email. Thanks, Andrew!

I haven't been quite that far north in England, York is about the farthest, I think. Last year, I was asked to house sit in Scotland, a dream for me, but couldn't due to some health issues. You are in a wonderful area! Not far from the Sea, are you?
I rented a cottage in Wales a year ago and loved it! It was January and the country was beautiful and so quiet. A couple of years ago, we went to Ireland...what scenery there!
It would be so easy to live in the UK. If you're ever up for a house exchange, Andrew, I let you use the Lovebug, a car, and my home!

Cheers!
Gigi
Old 05-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Suz is correct about the Compact Jr. bed being short. A standard, home queen bed is 80" X 60". So the bed in a Jr. is 10" shorter. But it is 10" wider. So if you are short and wide ..... nevermind.

I don't know where to Compact II design finds room for a double closet on the curb side. The Jr. storage space is 43" wide from the back wall to the middle wall. The frig takes more than half of the area. Interesting!

Here is a link to a photo of the made-up bed in my Compact Jr.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...0373&p=74263790

Tom Trostel