Need to eliminate standing water in refrig. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2022, 10:32 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Need to eliminate standing water in refrig.

I have a Dometic refrig in my 2018 Scamp 13 that collects excess water in the inside bottom of the refrig. Will installing a air circulation device such as this prevent water condensation from forming there. Or should I install a drain hole in the area that the water collects, or both. I would like to find a fan that I could attach to the fins inside the refrig to do the circulation if possible.
Attached Images

Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
It's condensation caused by humid air entering when the fridge is opened, condensing on the fins, and dripping down to the bottom. Wipe out the bottom frequently enough to keep it from running out. Just like the cold drink on the counter.
Lynn Eberhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:34 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Wiping the bottom of the frig means removing everything out of the bottom and having the door open longer. Doesn't help the problem might make it worse. I am looking to circulate air within the refrig to lessen or stop the problem. That's why I am wondering about installing a drain in the bottom of the refrig to remove the excess water.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
In my 'fridge, there is a tray to collect the condensate and it needs to be periodically emptied. In others there is a drain tube. What make and model 'Fridge is in your camper?

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:15 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
we place the top of an egg container to catch 90% of the water dripping off the fins and dump this out every other day. it will have about 1/2 inch of water in it and wipe any spillage up with paper towels.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:04 PM   #6

Massachusetts
Dometic RM 2193
Old 08-08-2022, 10:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
On the diagram on page 4 of this document ( https://www.scamptrailers.com/wp-con..._PartsList.pdf ) it appears there is some sort of collector for condensate.

The installation manual found at https://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.c...ser-Manual.pdf talks about a condensate hose on page 4 of the document.

Check the condensate drain hose before taking any drastic action to fix your problem.

Please let us know what you find. It may help someone else at a later date.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:36 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have the same fridge. Apparently some come with a drain. Mine did not. Nor would I add one for fear it would allow water to leak on the plywood floor under the fridge. The advantages of this fridge are that it has no battery drain on propane and it has no freezer. My previous fridge would keep the ice cream frozen while letting the milk curdle. The disadvantages are the size, it struggles in very hot temperatures, and the condensation issue. My solution to the condensation is to use one shelf in the lower position and put salad stuff under the shelf in plastic containers. When I pull out the containers I sponge the floor of the fridge. As suggested, a container under the fins helps.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:37 AM   #9

Massachusetts
Dan,

I have found that same instruction manual dated 1995 on another RV site. It's obvious that back then they did install a drain hose. The Dometic unit I have has a Product number 921131030, Model RM 2193.

The manual issued with this unit dated 11/2014 has no mention of a drain hose at all.

I am wondering what type of refrig do you have that it has the drip tray? How big is the interior of your refrig? My RM2193 is 14 in interior width. Just wondering if your interior width is the same and if so I might be able to purchase that item based on your model number.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:28 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Refer condensation

I have the same unit and just checked the manual that came with it. Dated 2012. No mention of a drain or drip tray. I would love to find a drip tray. I suspect they no longer come with such a tray is that they did not work out well. Hard to get to when the fridge is full, probably spill a lot when removing, may be damaged,or knocked off its mounts when packing food, etc. If anyone here has one I would be interested in your experience.
John DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:40 AM   #11

Massachusetts
Hi John,

It would be great to have a drip tray that no only catches the water but diverts it outside as well. That way there is no worrying about the condensation that forms and settles in the bottom as a puddle of water.
That's what I am looking to do.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:27 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I can fabricate a drip tray of any size you folks need. Attach with VHB tape to the rear wall. You'd need to drill your drain hole and provide a fitting for a hose, though. Contact through my site. RV Widget Works | ,

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:04 PM   #13

Massachusetts
Hi Charlie,

That sound interesting. Could this drip tray have some type of drain hole incorporated on one side at the bottom to drain off the water.

The interior width dimensions of the Dometic RM 2193 is 14 inches. The depth of the tray could be no more than 1 1/2 inches and a lip about 3/4 to 1 in.

I am sure there are lots od us who could use this tray.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:11 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
Hi Charlie,

That sound interesting. Could this drip tray have some type of drain hole incorporated on one side at the bottom to drain off the water.

The interior width dimensions of the Dometic RM 2193 is 14 inches. The depth of the tray could be no more than 1 1/2 inches and a lip about 3/4 to 1 in.

I am sure there are lots od us who could use this tray.
I make my parts from ABS plastic, which drills quite easily with standard bits. I'd prefer to let others drill their own hole the size they want to incorporate a drain hose fitting of some kind (maybe a barbed fitting?

Thinking something along these lines (this is actually a wall mounted soap dish.) A less expensive form would be fabricated as this one is vacuum formed.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:45 AM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Refer condensation

This possibility of a custom made tray is interesting. Even a drain hose simply run from the tray down to a collection jar of some kind would be easy to empty, solving the problem of water all over the fridge floor and avoid having to drill a hole through the fridge and the floor of the camper. How much shelf space would be lost with a tray in place? Could it be narrow enough to fit under the fins and Behind the shelves taking up nearly no usable space? I can’t look in my Scamp right now to get an idea. I suppose one could DIY a tray of sorts out of PVC cut in half lengthwise with end caps.
John DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:16 AM   #16

Massachusetts
Charlie,

I took some measurements of the inside of my refrig. The overall length of the fins on the back wall is 13 inches. The fins are mounted a full 1 in off the back wall so they do not actually touch the back wall except for the mounting screws. The fins are approximately 1 1/2 in depth, so the maximum they protrude off the back wall is 2 1/2 inches.

So a tray 13 1/2 inches wide 2 3/4 width (front to back) and 1 1/2 in deep should work.

What do you think the cost would be to make that and what about shipping cost?
Thanks,
Jack
Old 08-11-2022, 09:19 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
Charlie,

I took some measurements of the inside of my refrig. The overall length of the fins on the back wall is 13 inches. The fins are mounted a full 1 in off the back wall so they do not actually touch the back wall except for the mounting screws. The fins are approximately 1 1/2 in depth, so the maximum they protrude off the back wall is 2 1/2 inches.

So a tray 13 1/2 inches wide 2 3/4 width (front to back) and 1 1/2 in deep should work.

What do you think the cost would be to make that and what about shipping cost?
Thanks,
Jack
Similar to these door pockets, so cost would be $15. Includes closed cell 3M VHB tape for mounting. Shipping - I have no idea these days. I get the best rates with Fedex Ground.

If interested, send a shipping address and phone # to me at tractors1@helvetia.us

Charlie

Charlie

Old 08-13-2022, 10:43 AM   #18

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Most already have a drain .
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:17 AM   #19

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Most refigerators that pool water do so because of a plugged drain. The very nature of refrigeration makes refrigerators collect water. They get rid of it in various ways. Pretty much all of them drain it out. Then some home units do like evaporate it. All of the camper friges I have seem just drain it outside. But either way they start by draining it. If the drain is not working then the water pools.

So you probably need to find the drain. I would actually start from the reverse. I would not look for the start, but for the finish of the drain. Look under your camper right under the frig. Chances are there is a short drain hose coming out of the bottom right there. That will tell you where to look in the frig. Some of them are only like a half inch or so. But that also is a good place to look for the plug. You may have dirt in the end.

But if you can find the drain line you can probably find your problem
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:57 PM   #20

Massachusetts
There is absolutely no drain within the inside of my refrigerator. Nadda, nothing. I am 100% positive, it does not exist.