Need to lower the profile of my 13 foot Uhaul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
I have determined that if I could lower the height of "Fiddlesticks" ( the 13 foot Uhaul my wife and I have ) by about 6 inches it would then fit in our garage, thereby avoiding the wrath of the HOA. I want to start by installing a lower profile vent. The vent we currently have is 4 1/2 inches high. My measurements indicate that if I could lower the height of the vent by maybe 2 inches I could then get the Uhaul in the garage. I would still need to purchase an extra set of rims which I could then install, minus tires, on the Uhaul this would result in lowering the profile another 4 inches for a total of 6 inches which would then allow the Uhaul to fit into the garage. Bottom line is anyone aware of a source for a vent with an overall height of 2 1/2 inches or less ? Thanks Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Lee,

How about this one from Vintage Trailer Supply? They apparently contracted with one of the usual vent manufacturers to have this different cover made because it looks more like the old-fashioned Hehr vents.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	25220

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Metal_...t_p/vts-280.htm

I'm not sure the exact projection distance, but I bet they would be able to tell you.

Note that they also have a similar version of a Fantastic Vent, here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vent2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	25221

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Fan_Ta...n_p/vts-414.htm

The Fantastic one says it projects a "mere" 3" above the roof. The top on this one is plastic.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
One of the ways to have an adjustable height suspension is to use variable pressure air springs. This type of modification by hybridizing torsion rubber springs with air springs could be expensive and due to needed custom design very time consuming; but it would possibly get you a quick to deploy 4-6" drop. I am doing this type of modification on my two axle Bigfoot trailer in order to raise it an inch (or more in rough terrain) and have a very quick, button push type side to side leveling capability. My design is also the hybrid type by combining lower number of leaf springs with 4 airbags. I use air springs from AirBagIt. See the following modification for torsion bar suspension.

http://mrtrailer.com/airaxlehybrid.htm

http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/bag-free-1x.htm

Good luck,

George.

Attached Thumbnails
Air_spring_bottom_support_Standen_DeN_II_11_9_2009_.jpg  
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
One of my friends has a cart of some kind that he puts his MG on. After lifting the MG, he can turn it sideways in the front of the garage so he can get the other two mg's in there too.I have not seen it so I do not know if you could lower the trailer onto something like this before moving it into the garage. It obviously has a low profile to fit under the MG and some kind of jacking mechanism to pick up the car for movement. This might be an alternative to bare wheels.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Thanks to all for the suggestions, good ideas all. Raya I am particularly looking into the lower vents from Vintage. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

I got my Trillium in my garage last year by replacing the tires with 16" steel wheels without tires and removing my MaxxAir fan.

I haven't put it into the garage yet this year because we hope to go south after the holidays.

The wheels are good and not too hard to do, however, any little bump like the transition from the driveway asphalt to the garage cement makes a formidable barrier because of the lack of 'give' to the steel wheels. I hope to get 14" steel wheels which would give me an additional inch. I use a 'come along' to pull it into the garage by myself. Cannot use any kind of dolly because the tongue is now so close to the ground.

Removing the MaxxAir fan is easy, just 4 screws, but the short wire leads make it difficult to handle once removed and reinstalling is not pleasant. There again, I hope to install longer leads and easily removeable ones.

I have a post on this blog detailing the process. I will look for it and place a link if/when I find it.
Here is the link:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=32966

If you go down to Post #10, you will see some pictures of the operation.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:21 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Why dont you remove the fan vent and use your empty rims you mentioned to put it in and reinstall it once taken out again.....isnt alot of work really and costs you nothing to do....also if you pull right up to the garage and deflate the tires completely you'll gain nearly as much as empty rims and the tires will probably remained seated to the rim bead for such a short distance (13ft or so) and can be refilled once inside....Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
Some vents are pretty low except for the cover. Some covers are pretty easy to remove. Perhaps it is just an easy solotion by removing the cover.
Judith Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I have determined that if I could lower the height of "Fiddlesticks" ( the 13 foot Uhaul my wife and I have ) by about 6 inches it would then fit in our garage, thereby avoiding the wrath of the HOA. I want to start by installing a lower profile vent. The vent we currently have is 4 1/2 inches high. My measurements indicate that if I could lower the height of the vent by maybe 2 inches I could then get the Uhaul in the garage. I would still need to purchase an extra set of rims which I could then install, minus tires, on the Uhaul this would result in lowering the profile another 4 inches for a total of 6 inches which would then allow the Uhaul to fit into the garage. Bottom line is anyone aware of a source for a vent with an overall height of 2 1/2 inches or less ? Thanks Lee
They make 8" wheels and tires with the same bolt pattern, readily available at any farm store or maybe even Walmart.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul