Need your cabinet door ideas/mods - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
I want to make my Perris Pacer as lean as possible for towing. Would like to start with maybe replacing the storage doors. I've tried to read all the posts I can find on here. But have a feeling I've missed some.

What did you replace your doors with? Pictures would be great. I'm especially open to fabric ideas. Someone on here mentioned a stiff fabric connected with velcro on the four corners.
Right now the fabric store has vinyl on sale. This is a durable, easily cleaned, no hemming needed, possibility. Many colors. What do you think? I've had good luck with industrial velcro on other projects---how do you think it would work for this???

Another person on here mentioned wedging cutting boards, collapsible strainer, etc in the openings while moving to prevent things falling out. I even thought about cutting pieces of foam core board that would fit in the openings while in route, then taking them out when settled. (Thus giving the fabric some help during transport.) Don't want to overthink this, tho.

So far we've removed the bunk hardware: piano hinge/side rail/ legs. Some of those items were heavy! Also, the sink came with a HEAVY metal lid---I mean heavy! Would like to replace it with the cutting board with side handles I saw in someone's pic (they got it at Dollar Store!) but can't find the darn things now! It fit so nicely in the photo.

Has anyone ever replaced the metal table support with PVC pipe? Most of the time, our dinette will be a bed anyway.

ANY ideas you have will be appreciated!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Would like to start with maybe replacing the storage doors.

I'm especially open to fabric ideas. Someone on here mentioned a stiff fabric connected with [b]velcro on the four corners.
Right now the fabric store has vinyl on sale.

ANY ideas you have will be appreciated!
How about Upholstery Snaps?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
On my old Burro I used clear pine shelving cut to size and given three coats of poly for all the doors. Pretty matching grain and looks like Ikea. Pine is very light so it will dent easily. I made the dinette table from the same shelving. I comes in different widths from Menards.
The bed I made permanent with 3/4 plywood, which was still lighter than the presswood stuff they had.

On the new ( to me ) Burro I'm still deciding whether to go with the clear pine again or birch plywood.
The plus on the pine is no banding needed on the sides.

pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oliver manufacturer uses smoked plexiglass... or you could use colored plexiglass. Just another idea.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
1/4" oak plywood with slightly rounded corners is probably nearly as light as some fabrics and it looks great and is more secure.
OR...
How about the above idea, only cut the door out of luan, then cut the center out leaving an inch or inch and a half frame of luan, then staple fabric or rollex aluminum or even screen wire on the backside. this would make a strong and servicable door that would weigh almost nothing!
OR...
How about a canvas fabric with a hem top&bottom, then use stainless wire to run through the hem , which would allow it to slide left and right to open and shut.
OR...
How about the clips used on above ground pools to hold the liner in!! They would hold your fabric firmly and give it a finished look . They are easily cut to length. They are dirt cheap, and weigh almost nothing. Use a long piece on one side like a hinge then use another with part of the back side removed for the side you want to open and shut. If needed a very small round headed screw could be used along with a small hole in the clip to act as a snap latch.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Birch plywood is also light as a feather. It can be had at Lowes with a veneer on it, in 2ft x 4 ft sections. Cut, trim, finish, hang.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #7

Registry
Great ideas! Many thanks
Old 09-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

I'm thinking along the lines of sliding doors. Wood tracks top and bottom, (parting stop or molding with saw kerf?), and acrylic, plexiglass, or aluminum sliding doors. Advantage: door doesn't open in direction contents would load it. Disadvantage: finding room for door to clear opening. Magnetic latches?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I'm thinking along the lines of sliding doors. Wood tracks top and bottom, (parting stop or molding with saw kerf?), and acrylic, plexiglass, or aluminum sliding doors. Advantage: door doesn't open in direction contents would load it. Disadvantage: finding room for door to clear opening. Magnetic latches?
We are replacing the upper cabinet doors (hinged) with sliders made of 1/8" acrylic. We are using black, white and different colors. for two part doors there is plastic track available. I made three runner track for the longer cupboards. The track acts as a fiddle and keeps things inside.

While in motion we will be securing the doors with foam wedges.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sliding_Doors.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	23588
Attached Thumbnails
Slider_Track.JPG  

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I'm thinking along the lines of sliding doors. Wood tracks top and bottom
That's what my 1978 Fiber Stream has, (with plastic tracks) and they are factory original. A previous owner added Velcro tabs to hold them closed while in transit.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0255.jpg  
Old 09-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I made our cabinet doors from 1/4" poplar and 1/4" birch plywood with a lightweight inset. (Our inset is a lightweight punched aluminum panel we got at Lowes, but you could use almost anything. Bamboo placemats to a piece of Plexiglas with a photo behind it.) It's a fraction of the weight of the MDF fiberboard doors our Scamp came with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	08Apr20_New_Upper_Kitchen_Cabinet_Doors__2__640x480.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	23597
Attached Thumbnails
ConstructionLayout1.gif   ConstructionLayout2.gif  

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #12

Registry
You guys are so smart! Thanks for pics---I'm a very visual/tactile person.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
[quote]I made our cabinet doors from 1/4" poplar and 1/4" birch plywood with a lightweight inset. (Our inset is a lightweight punched aluminum panel we got at Lowes, but you could use almost anything. Bamboo placemats to a piece of Plexiglas with a photo behind it.) It's a fraction of the weight of the MDF fiberboard doors our Scamp came with.

Attachment 23597

Great look and good drawings! Thanks.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote