Needed a trailer checked out:Tacoma - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2007, 04:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I am needing some one who would be willing to check out a trailer.

Hunter I in Tacoma near University of Pugent Sound

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/rvs/447617796.html

I have the owners phone number. He lives in Gig Harbour but the trailer is in Tacoma.

I have been watching the board for quite awhile and following closely any referrals with respect to Compact Juniors etc. My observation is that trailers that are ready to roll are usually around $2800- $3200.

Those that need some work vary from $800-$1,000 to even more.

The trailers are usually in some far off location that would require a significant travel.

Even at this point my wife is not keen to travel 6 hrs. with no confidence of whether something will have been sold in the mean time or it is a piece of junk and a dissappointment.

As you will note I have never bought anything sight un-seen and this is a new process. My attempts to even look at one I found in B.C. was not appreciated by the owner.

The sides of the pop-top are missing. No appliances and the floor is suppose to be solid. No table.

I know that it will be a significant price to add whatever we want into the rig and I am hoping that I do not have to start from scratch.

Any one with experience with fiberglass trailers, Compact juniors, compact II in the vicinity who could help me out. this would be appreciated.

I have talked on the phone to the owner.

How do you handle a sale at a distance. Wire a deposit? Travel with no guarantees ?
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
We checked out this trailer. On the 3rd contact we found out that it is completely stripped. There is no countertop, no dining table, no appliances. The only thing in this trailer are 2 couches. He didn't even say that they were the original ones.
JeannetteAkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
How do you handle a sale at a distance. Wire a deposit? Travel with no guarantees ?
I was lucky and found one that was half an hour from my sister's house, so my brother-in-law bought it for me. I probably could have negotiated a few dollars less if I'd been there to do it but that wasn't an option, and it was worth it to find what I wanted in decent shape. I did worry for the few months until I got to see it that it would smell bad inside and he would not have noticed (it didn't.)

Someone mentioned earlier that you could guarantee the seller that if the trailer was exactly as represented you would pay the price agreed on. But this doesn't stop someone else from buying it out from under you, and I imagine even if you wired a deposit some sellers might sell to a higher bidder before you got there. In other words, I'm not sure there is a good way to do it at a distance unless you know someone you trust to do it for you.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Trailer is sold.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I was lucky and found one that was half an hour from my sister's house, so my brother-in-law bought it for me....I did worry for the few months until I got to see it that it would smell bad inside and he would not have noticed (it didn't.)
Hey, I find that to be a terribly sexist, male-bashing remark, implying that males are totally insensitive to the nuances of their surroundings, perhaps because they don't bathe often enough or some such drivel! I suppose you expected that he couldn't even tell you what color it was if it wasn't a primary color, and he'd only be able to describe the fridge in terms of beer capacity! I'd guess you even gave him very explicit driving instructions, expecting that he wouldn't be able to stop and ask directions...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Hey, I find that to be a terribly sexist, male-bashing remark, implying that males are totally insensitive to the nuances of their surroundings, perhaps because they don't bathe often enough or some such drivel! I suppose you expected that he couldn't even tell you what color it was if it wasn't a primary color, and he'd only be able to describe the fridge in terms of beer capacity! I'd guess you even gave him very explicit driving instructions, expecting that he wouldn't be able to stop and ask directions...
What would be your p oint, Pete?
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote