New 13' Scamp Upper Cabinet support came loose - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #1

Name: Brad and Laura
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Question New 13' Scamp Upper Cabinet support came loose

Hello Everyone, I wanted to impose on your knowledge.
My wife is out camping in our few month old 2020 Scamp. We have been having issues with the doors closing and the fiberglass popping from just a few days after having it. My wife was on her way back to Backus this week to have Scamp take a look at it when bad weather stopped her in Montana.
Since then she has been camping her way back home.

Last night as she was turning in she noticed 4 loose screws under the cushions. They were what holds the upper cabinet support bracket to the kitchen. The support was completely missing its lower screws.
We are pretty sure they fell out during this trip or we would have noticed them before now under the cushions.
She went to Home Depot today and got a Bessey Clamp to raise the upper cabinets enough to put the screw back in.
When she looked inside the lower kitchen cabinet she noticed that the lower 2 screws did not go through the wood backing.

I'm assuming this is a mistake.
Should the screws be going though wood backing on all 4 holes or are they expecting the fiberglass to be enough to hold the bracket?

I'm attaching 2 pictures. One of my wife's nice clamping work and the other of the wood backing.

Thank You
Brad (and Laura off in the wilderness somewhere)
Attached Thumbnails
Photo Oct 21, 1 09 29 PM.jpg   Photo Oct 21, 4 18 22 PM.jpg  

BLTscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
problem solvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTscamp View Post
Last night as she was turning in she noticed 4 loose screws under the cushions.
You are married to a problem solver! I have owned three brands of RVs over the years and they all have fallen apart on USA highways. My Scamp had the furnace grill and reading lights fall apart on the first long trip. Another owner in my area has the furnace put in at an angle and the electrical panel screws missed the wood like yours. Note also that the easy lube axles run hot for the first few miles. Mine had one never cool down and I found it to be over tightened. Also, the axle greasing instruction in the new Scamp video is wrong, look up the greasing of bearings on the MFGs web page and go by that. I have been over 12,000 miles with mine now and any problems have been small. (I have also had to straighten the threaded rod that holds the LP tanks on twice after driving in the mountains.) That RV is a rolling earthquake.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree that with RVs it’s always something, but for a brand new unit, this is disappointing. Don’t know if QC is slipping, but I’ve only had a couple of very minor issues with my now-twelve-year-old 13’er. The closet door popped open on rough roads, solved shortly after purchase by realigning the latch. More recently the screws holding the C-channel on the silverware drawer came loose and the whole thing ended up on the floor. The drawer itself was undamaged, and I reattached the C-channel with larger screws and a bit of non-permanent Loctite. No trouble since. Nothing pops open, even on dirt roads.

I hope this is an isolated problem. It sure wouldn’t hurt to go through all screws and attachments and make sure everything’s tight. Snug up the cabinet latches, pinch the curtain rod holders... Winter project?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #4

Wisconsin
Registry
Falling curtains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It sure wouldn’t hurt to go through all screws and attachments and make sure everything’s tight. Snug up the cabinet latches, pinch the curtain rod holders...

I have not heard anyone complain about falling curtains lately. A year ago, everyone was posting about it. Maybe Scamp is pinching them at the factory. I think they do watch what we post here. Some of the mods we do are starting to show up on factory units. I pinch the holders and wrap the curtains over the holder, kind of a belt and suspenders solution.
Attached Thumbnails
curtain rod.jpg  
Old 10-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Screws don't hold into fiberglass alone. Looks like a factory mistake to me. Good lesson for anyone picking up a new trailer. Inspect everything very closely.

The RV industry is full of horror stories about initial quality issues.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Brad and Laura,
'Very impressive mod for supporting the upper cabinet!
I do not recognize the fabulous "tree" support as being SCAMP factory installed. I wonder, could your problem be that you replaced the original cabinet support?

As an owner of a, then new, 2011 SCAMP 13' I had immediate issues of having the curtain rod jump out of the rod holder. I knew that pinching the rod holder was not a good solution as it weakens the metal. (Who wants to have to replace a metal rod holder that is installed with rivets? Not I.) My current solution, after many tries, was to purchase curtain rods (commonly found at Walmart and other stores) of a thickness that fits the rod holder snugly AND to attach the rod to the holder with a zip-tie on each end.

I, being a "GLEEFUL GLAMPER" like to change up the decor and curtains to coordinate with our camping destination. This means I must remove and replace the curtain rods frequently in order to re-hang the curtains. See my photo of our decor for our Southwest tour. Note that I make curtain panels for the ends of the curtain rod. When you put up "novelty print" curtains they can overwhelm the small space and make it dark. Sewing panels takes little time and fabric. I do line all my curtain panels so as to cut down on sun damage. I retain the factory-installed curtains so that we have soft light entering the trailer and retain privacy.

In addition, I have made hand-rolled black-out shades that go behind the curtains. See photos. Note: This was my first set of shades which do not "roll" but are attached with the hook side of Velcro. Later, I changed the design so each shade has an open top "hem" allowing me to put a rod through it, allowing me to hand-roll up the shade when not in use. Because the rod is longer than the space between the rod holders I simply place the ends of the shade rod over the rod holders. Got it? If not, PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 001.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 009.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 020.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 019.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
Scamps' big changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Hi Brad and Laura,
'
I do not recognize the fabulous "tree" support as being SCAMP factory installed. I wonder, could your problem be that you replaced the original cabinet support?
It is one of several changes made to the Scamps this year.

They are pictured in the new buyers guide.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thank you for your reply. Ooooo, I LOVE it!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
I just picked up a 2020 Scamp 13’ and it came with the tree support. If you want one, they are available in the Scamp store online. A little scary reading about everyone’s problems. so far, the only one I’ve had was not being able to get the door open. Now, after neighbor and builder next door opening it for me several times, I am able to open it on the 3rd or 4th jerk. Another thing added by Scamp that I didn’t expect, an automatic brake setter that stops the Scamp if it becomes disconnected from the hitch. I already decided not to put a lot of weight in the upper cabinets. With the bumpy, jerky highway driving, not a good idea.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:19 PM   #10

Name: Renee
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Cabinet support

I have two of those tree design supports. Because I installed a new countertop they don’t fit. They were $49 each, plus shipping from Scamp. If anyone in the PNW wants them for $75 they are available. I need to get rid of stuff from my storage shed.

Tags
scamp