New 1998 13' Scamp owner needs guidance .... Many questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp 13 '98
Oregon
New 1998 13' Scamp owner needs guidance .... Many questions

LOL I have stumped myself and am seeking guidance on the care and feeding of my scamp. I have never owned a travel trailer, camper etc. i have used the empty parking lot of the nearby supermarket to practice backing up, haven't hit the carts yet . Now the serious help.

First, when I arrive at my destination and enter the Scamp I find disarray in what had been "preparing for mother's visit perfect" interior upon leaving home. The drawer is open, the seat cushions under the table, items in the carrier box on the floor. Should I always expect this type of chaos after driving on good,roads, e.g. HWY 20 OR. Or is this chaos an indicator of a problem I didn't detect before purchasing, if so what is the problem(s) and resolution?

Second, issue /question electricity. I am finding the original documentation from Scamp less then helpful for basic operation Imagine I am your ditzy sister-in-law who needs to be educated on how to use the electrical systems and keep the battery charged / recharged. For instance if I am driving between campsites do I leave the system on or do I turn it off and hope the milk won't lose its chill?

Now I understand I have opened myself up for some pretty serious ribbing. I will take the ribbing if I can learn how to confidently use the electricity, not run out of juice when I am 30 pages from the end of my mystery (yes, I know use a head lamp) and keep myself from getting food poisoning from warm potato salad.

Thank for any help / hints you can give me ...

I will wave when I see you on the road.
Julie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Julie, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Humm, normally that kind of disarray could be because of an extremely rough ride caused by a dead axle. But a 1998 trailer shouldn't (maybe) have that condition. So... perhaps a poorly distributed packed trailer with not enough tongue weight? That causes the trailer to bounce around a lot. What did you see happening when you looked in the rearview mirror under tow? How fast were you towing, out of curiosity.

Manufacturer trailer brand manuals are typically lame. However, members have been uploading appliance manuals, etc. into the Document Center. You'll find lots of good info there, that will help you keep things running smoothly. Fiberglass RV - Document Center

Others will be a long shortly with more opinions and help.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Julie, we use Philip-it latches to hold everything in the cabinets. Phlip-It RV Cabinet Latches
There are many others here that have their own unique way of keeping things in place, such as bungie cords, non-slip foam in the bottom of the cabinets, etc.
You can find threads in the search section about this problem, of which you are not alone.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #4

Oregon
Donna, thanks for your ideas. I tow with a 2009 Subaru Outback thus I keep my speed at 55 mph on flat road. The three trips I have taken have been with minimal additional weight. A small basket for food, 1 piece of luggage, plastic cube of pots / dishes well under 100 pounds in the trailer. So a good idea on weight distribution just not so sure that is the issue. I didn't see the trailer jumping about when I was towing, all felt smooth when moving. IF the issue is axle related I will gladly accept recommendations for shops to contact in central Oregon, I am are based in Bend.

As to using the search I am really feeling dumb because I have tried different wording and still have not located the step by step how to use an rv's electrical system. It is not the appliances so much but the process of which switches to use when. For instance when on the campground and plugged into provided outlet do BOTH outside 12V and 120V need to be switched on to avoid draining the battery? When dry camping do I keep the refrigerator switch on to keep the milk chilled and potato salad safe to ear? If so how do I maintain the charge/recharge the battery? Finally, when towing do I keep the refrigerator switch on? Is this information in the documentation, FAQ's and I am not reading carefully?

Thanks folks for your guidance ....
Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #5

oooooh Bend! You are in the town where one of our member's lives and he rebuilds the most beautiful all molded trailers. Check out any threads about rebuilds by Robert Johans. Here's his website: The Egg Plant
Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Wow! Loved the EggPlant website. He does some dynamite work!

Julie,
Good for you for asking the questions! We were all there at one time.
One basic rule of the road is, when towing have the table in the DOWN position with the cushions placed snugly in the bed position.That way there is no undue stress on the table and the cushions don't fly away. I keep our folded camp chairs on top and they stay in place while towing.
Happy Camping!
Gilda (Jill-da)
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hi Julie
We have a Scamp 13 as well and find much stuff on the floor that was in some cabinets when we left. We now store most of our stuff in laundry baskets on the floor or on the sofa. We also use no-slip rubber shelf liner and that helps. The cabinet over the table at the back is particularly bad at keeping it contents in while on the road. That one we load up at the camp site. You mentioned that the cushions are under the table and that lead me to ask if you are traveling with the table in the table position and not down in the bed position. Scamp says it should be in the bed position when traveling. It is less stress on the back wall of the egg. If the cushions are set in the bed position they should stay in place.

Electrical
You mention having both the 12v and 120v switches on when at a camp site. Those switches are for your fridge. Use only 1 at a time. If you are on shore power use the 120v. We use 12v when driving. If your fridge is the original it should have a propane setting which we use when we are boon-docking. It works great.

Remember the only silly question is the one not asked!

There are many here who will help. Enjoy your camper and camping.

Sandy C
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #8

Oregon
Okay, lesson learned keep the table in the down/sleep position and don't be surprised when items end up on the floor. Pack very carefully and use latch covers.

Electricity. I now understand shore power is 120V. When then do I use the12V as I have propane for the fridge while boondocking? Yikes, am I making This harder than necessary. Headed to the coast after the 4th of July and would like to have a better understanding by then. Please continue to send hints

The Eggplant website is very impressive, my scamp is clean but doesn't sparkle those beautiful restored trailers.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Be aware of gremlins that like to party in Scamps while they're in tow. They can tear the place up like rockstars. Don't ask me how I know.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #10

Oregon
Rockstar gremlins, I can deal with those. Proper planning makes em cheaper than an axle.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It is the groupie gremlins that are the root of the problem.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #12

Julie, I mentioned Robert Johans because if you should ever need work, he'd be the person I'd contact in Bend. He definitely knows egg trailers! If he was closer, I'd have him install a power vent in my Scamp.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #13

Oregon
Thanks for the tip Donna. I have put RJ's contact info on my Scamp folder.