New and Looking at Scamp Today. HELP! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #1

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ohio
New and Looking at Scamp Today. HELP!

Hello all! I'm new to the camper world and will be looking at a 1983 16' Scamp with a bathroom. It is priced at $7500 but needs general updating. The owner states that it needs new upholstery, which is clear from the photos. But, I can see there is carpet that will need to be replaced. The owner doesn't know if the "potty" works but when hooked up to a water source, the faucet and shower work. Obviously this thing needs a clean up. Does this price seem high?

Any advice on what to look for or ask is appreciated. I've only seen one camper ever (Canned Ham), so I'm afraid of what I don't know. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp1.jpg   Scamp2.jpg  

Scamp3.jpg  
wendysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Seems high to me - I paid a few thousand less for a 16' with bathroom that was less than 16 years old at the time. Only option it didnt have was AC.

Take a look at Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com under the for sale section and the historical sold section for pricing guidance.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #3

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
a rule of thumb....

and this is one I learned the hard way....so I repeat it everytime I see a post like this.....

you DO NOT want to buy a trailer from an owner that says something like: "I don't know much about RVs but everything seemed to work for me".....if I was to be in the market again and heard that one I would run away...fast.

from reading posts on this site you will see that A LOT of owners are INTIMATELY knowledgeable about their trailers (it's their hobby....they like working on their trailers as much as using them) that is the type of owner you want to buy from...

you say "The owner doesn't know if the "potty" works".....(???) chances are he doesn't know much about all the other systems involved....and there are more than you think (elec, plumbing, suspension, brakes....propane appliances are a science all onto themselves!)

as stated above the price is no "giveaway" either so I'd keep shopping if I was you

good luck in your search.....you might just come across an owner that doesn't know much because of circumstances (like an inheritance maybe).....IF the price was substantially lower than anything else you see on the net for comparables.....I might get interested....but only under those circumstances/valuations...that way you're "covered" in case of surprises....or you might just "hit a home run"
Attached Thumbnails
fixit.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List

Go to this link and print out the checklist.
If the owner can't prove it works then assume it doesn't and base the value on what is right instead of wrong. Price is high but that doesn't mean that is what it will sell for. Wave a wad of cash in someones nose and you will see the real price. If the owner doesn't know what works and doesn't then they no longer care about the trailer and are ready to get rid of it. Make sure they have valid title in their name or your in for a bunch of hurdles that may never be jumped.
Remember you time has value too. think what it will cost to find another 500 miles away. One local has much more value to you than spending $500 fetching one further away.
Follow your nose if it stinks inside it almost a total gut job to get the smell out. usually rot and mold residing some place. Even if you change your mind on this trailer if its local go see it. the more you see the better you will feel when you find the right one.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If you like it and can see yourself doing some refurbishing, maybe offer the seller $4000 and see what he says. I wouldn't pay $7500.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2019 16' Scamp; tow vehicle: 2010 Ford Escape V6
Michigan
Hi Wendy,

I'm new, too. Never owned an RV in my life, but when an owner says they "don't know" if something works, that's a red flag. When's the last time they used this thing? Did they just buy it to flip it?

When hooked to city water, the sink and shower work, but is there a 12V pump? Looks like the non-electric hand pump in the sink, which would mean showers only with hook-ups.

Does it have AC and a furnace? (can't tell from the pictures).

Again, hard to tell from the pics, but it almost looks like the attachment for an awning is there, but not the awning.

I don't see a battery behind the propane tank nor a gravel shield for the window.

Best of luck!

Bob
Keweenaw Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #7

Ohio
Wow these are all great responses! I'm so glad I posted! I'm a house flipper so I'm not afraid of fixing anything up, but I know a lot about houses, nothing about campers. My experience with houses has taught to be nervous about not knowing what I don't know. If that makes any sense. You guys have really helped. I actually rescheduled for tomorrow so we'll see. Even if it is crappy and over priced, at least I'll have seen one up close.

Talking with the owner revealed that he never used the bathroom when he took it out. It has a space heater, window A/C unit, water heater and fridge. I'll def take the checklist with me.

I really appreciate your feedback! Let me know if you guys think of anything else!
Old 11-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would check out where to the front A frame meets the front shell. Some years were prone to frame cracks. I would get down and peer on the interior of this area. Here is a photo of the exterior. You can see this example of reinforcement.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #9

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
I would check out where to the front A frame meets the front shell. Some years were prone to frame cracks. I would get down and peer on the interior of this area. Here is a photo of the exterior. You can see this example of reinforcement.
If it has reinforcement, is that good because it is fixed or should I run away?
Old 11-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #10

Not knowing what will and what wont work in the camper could get VERY expensive. Lowes/Home Depot doesnt carry appliances etc for the RV's and the ones that replace them are nearly double of an equal you'd buy for a home. Not to mention...is there any leaks? Rot? Hows the suspension? Tires?

Personally, I'd be afraid of that camper for that price and from the looks of the inside, it's in need of some serious TLC as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysue View Post
Wow these are all great responses! I'm so glad I posted! I'm a house flipper so I'm not afraid of fixing anything up, but I know a lot about houses, nothing about campers. My experience with houses has taught to be nervous about not knowing what I don't know. If that makes any sense. You guys have really helped. I actually rescheduled for tomorrow so we'll see. Even if it is crappy and over priced, at least I'll have seen one up close.

Talking with the owner revealed that he never used the bathroom when he took it out. It has a space heater, window A/C unit, water heater and fridge. I'll def take the checklist with me.

I really appreciate your feedback! Let me know if you guys think of anything else!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
As other have said, price seems high for condition. You should ask for fridge to be on several hours before visit, they are expensive if not working. Hot water heaters are also expensive if it doesn't work. Check for any soft areas on floor, big project!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenaw Bob View Post
Hi Wendy,

I'm new, too. Never owned an RV in my life, but when an owner says they "don't know" if something works, that's a red flag.

Bob
Especially if they claim they don't know if the toilet works but they know the shower works! so why did they not try flushing the toilet!! Simple to check push the lever!

Another is if they claim not to know if the fridge works. Ask them to plug the trailer in before you get there to prove the fridge will cool down. Also bring a propane tank that is full with you to check that it works on propane along with the stove.... come for some to claim they don't have propane in the tank as well.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysue View Post
If it has reinforcement, is that good because it is fixed or should I run away?
Quote:
This is how the Scamp trailers comes from the factory it has NOT been fixed or reinforced after the fact.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #14

Different years are have different construction, photo is an google example of the area I was explaining. Google scamp frame cracks for more examples of that same area. I like this trailer and think it's pretty clean for the year. Keep us posted.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Different years are have different construction, photo is an google example of the area I was explaining. Google scamp frame cracks for more examples of that same area. I like this trailer and think it's pretty clean for the year. Keep us posted.
Thats true but as I indicated the photo you have shown is how the majority of Scamps I have seen including my own came from the factory.

The failures on Scamp frames you mention do happen in this area and it usually due to the original welds shown in the photo failing with time. It is also equally as common (maybe even more common) for the frame failure to be on the beam under the trailer (about 3' back from the area in the photo) where the beam takes a bend.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wendy, there are really only two prices. What the sellar wants and what it's worth to you to own it! When was the last time you saw a trailer, in this shape, for sale in your (reasonable) driving area. And, how long are you willing to wait for something else to show up that fits your budget, etc.

Once you know the answers to those questions, only you can decide if you want to own it. Some folks are willing to wait (months/years) others are not.

One thing I do know, is you can never, ever get back time. If you want to go camping soon...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #17

Ohio
Thought you'd all like to know that you were right! It was a mess. A prong on the plug had been broken off so we couldn't plug it in to test anything. The inside had mold in the closet. He had already dropped the price to $5,900 but still wasn't enough. Didn't matter. I didn't want a project that big anyhow. No matter the price. Thanks for your help! I'm going to keep looking.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thats true but as I indicated the photo you have shown is how the majority of Scamps I have seen including my own came from the factory.

The failures on Scamp frames you mention do happen in this area and it usually due to the original welds shown in the photo failing with time. It is also equally as common (maybe even more common) for the frame failure to be on the beam under the trailer (about 3' back from the area in the photo) where the beam takes a bend.
Scamp frames have undergone several changes over the years starting with a 1200# leading arm axle on a lighter gauge frame, then transitioning to a 2200# axle, then on to a 2200# trailing arm axle. At some point the frame tubing gauge was increased, pretty much eliminating frame cracks which were fairly rare to begin with.
Below is a picture of my 2004 Scamp13 tongue. Notice it has no additional angle iron.
Post fire 13s went to a tongue with the same configuration as the 16s, including a 2" hitch with a vertical tongue jack.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0046.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #19

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Wendy - good for you for knowng it was a project you didn't want to take on, lots of people don't and get in over their heads. The right trailer will come along.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Sounds like you have a good 'gut' feeling for good/bad if you've flipped houses.

And now that you've 'dipped your toe' into the shopping market, the best thing to to is learn, learn learn, from everyone on this site. There is a huge amount of knowlege here and everyone is very happy to share.

Also, be sure and read the 'Trailer weights in the real world' posting, so you fully understand the weight of the trailer. The 'stated weights' or 'dry 'weights' that you hear are usually at least 20% lower than the actual weight.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Happy Hunting to you!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp