New boler frame help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
sir

New boler frame help

Hi,
I just had a new frame made for my 1975 13' boler. I put it under the shell and the shell doesn't sit on the frame everywhere.
It sits on the front and rear but some places in the middle are still up to an inch or two away. Especially where the old frame was broken behind the left wheel.The new frame is straight. Just wondering if there is a trick to getting the shell to settle on the new frame? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Saul

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #2

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Do you have your old frame to compare measurements?
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Saul; - welcome to the FHRV forums. I am in a similar stage as you seem to be. I am presently working on a frame-off restoration of my 1973 Boler; removed shell, had existing frame sandblasted, painted, and new axle (with brakes) installed. My frame is solid, not bent or twisted, etc., and therefore didn't need any further work. The shell dropped back in with no sizable gaps. If you still have the previously 'bent' frame, I'd be checking the accuracy of your newly, rebuilt, replacement frame. I do realize there is a small amount of 'play' between the shell and the frame; but, I believe my shell is adequately supported at all contact points. As suggested by Paul Nieumeister (the Ontario 'Guru' for any Boler repairs), I did have a welder ADD four angle-iron tabs to my frame; near each of the four corner contacts; and have now installed four 3/8 by 1 1/2 SS bolts, and fender washers, for additional security. I wasn't impressed with previously having only 16 'screws' holding the FG shell to the frame. Good luck with your trailer body-frame allignment.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Because the body was on a bent/broken frame for some time the body shell has twisted into that "crooked" shape. I am confident the body will go back into its original shape just don't force it quickly. Using the mounting bolts slowly tighten them down gradually over a few days to a week. If you tighten them too quickly cracks will probably develop.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Because the body was on a bent/broken frame for some time the body shell has twisted into that "crooked" shape. I am confident the body will go back into its original shape just don't force it quickly. Using the mounting bolts slowly tighten them down gradually over a few days to a week. If you tighten them too quickly cracks will probably develop.
Good advice, don't be in any rush to tighten them, might take quite a while (weeks or months) it did not get crooked overnight. I would check to see that the new frame is really flat though, stuff happens sometimes.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I agree with Ian, also letting it sit outside in the summer sun a couple of days will help as the fiberglass heats up it tends to become more flexible
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
I too - agree with Ian's advice (from the northern climate); and Tim and Johnny's advice (from the southern climates). So - I'm pulling my unit out of the shop for it's summer 'break' (Ooops - wrong word in this context !) before the snow starts ;D
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 74 Boler (wip)
Its amazing how all of these issues are the same, I just did the same thing. The left side of my frame snapped right off. I used the plans from Ian G.'s web site (thanks Ian) to get a new frame made. When I went to fit the boler back on the frame there was a 1/2" to 1" gap in the center area. I hooked the boler up to the truck, took it over some speed bumps, that settled it down a bit more, then I installed 8 SS bolts, washers and lock nuts. I hope it flattens out more over time.
cdimarco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler