New cushion covers - is there a no-sewing solution? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
I want to cover the stock upholstery on our Casita cushions with easy-to-remove-and-wash slipcovers but am faced with some constraints:

- I don't own a sewing machine and have no access to one (rentals aren't available here in Marin)
- I won't even think about sewing by hand
- I can't afford professionally-made slipcovers

On the other hand, I am handy with scissors and sewing tape, and very skilled indeed in the use of safety pins and velcro.

I have thought of "gift-wrapping" each cushion and joining the edges on the underside with velcro ---but better suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!
Elisabeth
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Try a 1/4 plywood base the same shape as your cushions and attach velcro to it . Now add your fabric and foam on top.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I see old working Singers on the local buy and sell sites all the time. $30-$50.
a model 210 from the late 40's will serve you well for years. plus, it's simple to use and tough enough for upholstery work.

Quote:
I want to cover the stock upholstery on our Casita cushions with easy-to-remove-and-wash slipcovers but am faced with some constraints:

- I don't own a sewing machine and have no access to one (rentals aren't available here in Marin)
- I won't even think about sewing by hand
- I can't afford professionally-made slipcovers

On the other hand, I am handy with scissors and sewing tape, and very skilled indeed in the use of safety pins and velcro.

I have thought of "gift-wrapping" each cushion and joining the edges on the underside with velcro ---but better suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!
Elisabeth
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The gift wrap method works fairly well. But I like the plywood velcro idea, too. I used the gift wrap one on some old sofa cushions for years as I wanted easily washable covers and didn't want to sew.

However, nothing looks as nice as real upholstery.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
Quote:
Try a 1/4 plywood base the same shape as your cushions and attach velcro to it . Now add your fabric and foam on top.
[b]Kevin, I don't understand the need to attach velcro to the plywood. If I were using velcro, I would attach it to the bottom of the existing cushion covers and put the fabric on top of that. I think I'm missing something (particularly as Bobbie Mayer says she likes the idea).

[b]Scott, I had considered buying a sewing machine, but I don't actually want to own one, much less have to deal with finding a place to store it in our tiny apartment. You might possibly point out that, for $30, I could buy it, use it, and give it away to Goodwill --- which forces me to admit that I don't really want to SEW. At all. Ever. (I don't like emoticons, so must just imagine a slight smile on my face as I admit this).
Old 08-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
[b]Kevin, I don't understand the need to attach velcro to the plywood. If I were using velcro, I would attach it to the bottom of the existing cushion covers and put the fabric on top of that. I think I'm missing something (particularly as Bobbie Mayer says she likes the idea).
I think the plywood would make the cover look tighter and neater than either the gift wrap or the velcro on top of old cushions would. More work, though.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
My horse trailer has padded "cushions". They are made with a square of plywood, foam on that, and then vinyl on that and the vinyl is stapled to the back of the plywood, like the "wrapping a package" type idea. Don't know if that would help.

CindyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 87 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
My horse trailer has padded "cushions". They are made with a square of plywood, foam on that, and then vinyl on that and the vinyl is stapled to the back of the plywood, like the "wrapping a package" type idea. Don't know if that would help.
That is what I was thinking. It is really easy. Just buy a staple gun for $20.00 or so and staple the fabric to the plywood. Really, really easy and looks great. I have done it many times.
Pat R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
But Elisabeth is looking for:

Quote:
with easy-to-remove-and-wash slipcovers
Stapling defeats that purpose. I like the package wrap idea, or maybe a bag with drawstring. If the bag is tight enough (think stuff sack for a sleeping bag), think it would be tight enough. But honestly, nothing beats the original upholstery. There's a reason they're called

[b]"slip" covers.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Thank you EVER so much! I too have been trying to figure out how reupholster my cushions without spending a fortune on a professional job. Now I know my next project!
cjlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
That's true that with stapling you've lost the take off and wash option. If you can live with vinyl, it probably wouldn't matter. Our ancient tt we are trying to replace has vinyl seat covers (avacado green of course) and they have lasted since 1968 and are washed with a sponge. Not as cozy as fabric however.
CindyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #12

Hello again! Thoughts and ideas continue to come and I am TRULY grateful.

The drawstring solution, which would be excellent, is something I considered for a long time. However, I can't think of a way to make the corners (and particularly the curved part of the cushion that goes along the back wall) tight. I know from making and upholstering our bedboard that it's easy to fold/pull/staple/velcro/pin cotton duck to make good-looking corners.

Based on the feedback you've all given me, I think that gift-wrapping is the approach that works best for me. I really like the simplicity of the plywood solution but the fabric (4 57"x98" IKEA curtain panels in white cotton duck cloth) needs to be easy to remove for washing.

We're about halfway through the changes I planned before we bought the Casita. Most of my ideas came from reading people's postings on this forum and on the two Casita forums. Before I even got it home from Rice, I turned the rear dinette into a U-shaped sitting area that converts into a bed. Since then, we've replaced the side dinette table with one that is both narrower and longer, so that it reaches over the seats like a real table; we've attached a support for a work counter to the divider between the dinette and the sitting area (the other end of the counter rests on the dinette table; it's in use to wash dishes and for major cooking efforts and we store it under the dinette seat when it's not being used); we've removed the stove vent cover and vent; we've replaced the heavy floor-level covers over the plumbing and wiring with black foam pipe covers; we've reversed the hinges on the cabinet door above the stove so that it's out of my way when I'm cooking; we've replaced the blinds with curtains; and we've bought washable white throw rugs (actually, they're high-end bath mats) for the vinyl floor.

Still to come: replacing the stock stove with a SMEV; replacing the kitchen faucet with the Ikea single lever, high faucet; installing a sliding window in the wall behind the stove; cutting a vent space into the bottom of the bathroom door or wall.

We bought a generator before we left for a 3-week boondocking trip (only another woman will understand how seriously excellent it is to be able to blow-dry one's hair in the middle of nowhere, apart from not worrying about how much 12V power we're using) and are still weighing the advantages of installing it on the tongue with a connection leading under the trailer into the power cord area versus the advantages of not ever worrying about whether it might be stolen. When we're on a trip, it lives in the back of the 4Runner from where it's easy to lift out and use.

Dear me, this has been a long post!

Thanks again for your input and willingness to help!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
This may be overly simplistic, but here's the solution I came up with. I've got a 13 foot Scamp with a front couch--and two cats. The upholstery is dark blue, which shows cat hair really well. So I took my cloth shower curtain from my bathroom (I really liked the print) and put it on the couch. Tucked it between the back and the seat, so it looks like two separate pieces--and then put two decorative pillows on the sides, against the wall, because it's not quite wide enough to cover the entire couch. Now I can just take it off whenever it needs to be cleaned, toss it in the washer and dryer, and put it back on the couch, no muss, no fuss, no need for any kind of fasteners. If you're needing to do the dinette cushions as well, I'm not sure how that would work, but maybe the same concept could work there too. I keep my dinette down as a bed, permanently, so I don't have any need to cover those cushions.
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #14

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
thats neat to have something that will repell cat/dog hair and washable too...!! A picture would be nice to see....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
thats neat to have something that will repell cat/dog hair and washable too...!! A picture would be nice to see....

I've never tried to post a photo before...we'll see if this works.

The other thing I like about this idea is that if I decide to redecorate, it's really easy. And cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
couch_2.jpg  
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #16

Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' 2007 Scamp without bathroom
Arizona
I love that you travel with your cats . Your upholstery cover idea is great and just what I can afford.
realgranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christi V. View Post
How about pillow cases which are made for "body pillows"?
Or install king pillow cases from each end and tack some velcro to hold them overlapped in the middle.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #18

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Slipcovershop.com, I think that is what i will use. So far for just the sided dinette cushions it is going to be less than 40$ a cushion. Bed cushions will be covered up so no need to do those. Just a thought. Haven't looked into any washable items though.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #19

Arizona
Body pillows w/velcro are a great idea ! I just found some 'hippie tapestries' with the color I like at some online hippy store that I might use. Until I can afford to reupholster ( which may be never).
Old 02-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #20

Arizona
Filing away slipcovershop.com for the future.