New Day...New Scamp 13 Questions! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
New Day...New Scamp 13 Questions!

One...when I removed the door yesterday from my 1978 Scamp 13, the door seemed heavier than I thought it should.

So today I put it on some scales, and it weighted 46-pounds.

Is that heavy for a Scamp door...or am I just getting weak.

Two...has anyone purchased the door hinge set now offered from Scamp to use on a older Scamp? Are/were the hole patterns the same?

I will call Scamp Monday...but, I do like information from the horse's mouth...so to speak!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #2

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
My door is fairly heavy - I didn't weigh it, but it was very awkward to remove by myself, however it didn't seem overly heavy for the size and mine is not holding water (I drilled a couple of small holes inside to check - I'm recovering that side of the door anyways with new vinyl soon, so I wasn't worried about any visible damage, and I plan on filling them before I recover the door).

I replaced the hinges on my '84 scamp and the new ones bolted on just fine.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have no idea what mine weighs but I know its not light as I have a hard time just holding it in place while adjusting the hinges myself.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
My door is fairly heavy - I didn't weigh it, but it was very awkward to remove by myself, however it didn't seem overly heavy for the size and mine is not holding water (I drilled a couple of small holes inside to check - I'm recovering that side of the door anyways with new vinyl soon, so I wasn't worried about any visible damage, and I plan on filling them before I recover the door).

I replaced the hinges on my '84 scamp and the new ones bolted on just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have no idea what mine weighs but I know its not light as I have a hard time just holding it in place while adjusting the hinges myself.
Sarah and Carol, thank you very much for your replies!

That was the information that I was seeking.

Bill
Old 06-21-2015, 11:54 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Mine had some weight to it but the wood interior was rotten & water logged. I gutted the interior of the door, fiberglassed over the window, made a steel frame for the door and epoxied it to the inside of the door. I followed up by filling the area in between the metal frame with 1/2" foam then covered that with a layer of wax paper then fiberglass resin & cloth. The wax paper was to protect the foam from melting when applying the resin. Before attempting the metal frame I cut plywood slats and tried filling the door with those & fiberglass filler but the door weighed nearly 50 pounds. The door now weights about 25 pounds.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:57 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Mine had some weight to it but the wood interior was rotten & water logged. I gutted the interior of the door, fiberglassed over the window, made a steel frame for the door and epoxied it to the inside of the door. I followed up by filling the area in between the metal frame with 1/2" foam then covered that with a layer of wax paper then fiberglass resin & cloth. The wax paper was to protect the foam from melting when applying the resin. Before attempting the metal frame I cut plywood slats and tried filling the door with those & fiberglass filler but the door weighed nearly 50 pounds. The door now weights about 25 pounds.
John, that was quite a weigh savings, and no doubt the door is much stronger.

I'm afraid that I don't have the skills to attempt such a modification. Too bad you don't live closer!

Thanks for the information,

Bill

Tags
scamp