New door seal installed, no seal at top of door. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 05:03 AM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
New door seal installed, no seal at top of door.

Good day all.

I installed the new Scamp seal last weekend. Acetone (lots of it) is your friend with regards to removing the old glue, just be careful around the red painted pin stripes.

My door was indeed harder to close after the new seal went on, but not too difficult.

I do have one small problem. There is a small approx. 4-6 inch area in the top left corner of the door (as looking at door from outside) where I can see light coming in. Quick hose test with a spray of water and nothing comes in the trailer, however, if I concentrate the hose spray in the area in question I do get leakage.

Some more background, I DO have a small issue with my door hinges not being aligned properly. see this post.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ues-82781.html
I have yet to fix this issue as I am scared to death to take a drill to my Scamper

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the seal at the top of the door after installing the new Scamp seal? I will get some pictures tonight.

thanks all.
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:16 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Funny you you ask.. I noticed this same thing on my 2015 model two weeks ago. I was camping when the low temperature was near freezing and felt a cold draft in the front. Turns out that, with the door closed, I could also see daylight in the area a foot or so about the latch (first photo).

I took some window seal material I had lying around and found it slipped in behind the Scamp door seal (friction fit only), and pushed the outer / edge lip (thin part) of the Scamp seal out just a little. Then with the door closed, I could not see any daylight peeking through. I only used about 10 inches since the rest of the door seals well (for now at least).

I have not road tested this yet but it fits so well I think it will stay in place. If it does not, a little adhesive should hold it.

Anything that only lifts the outer edge of the Scamp seal away from the fiberglass body a small amount would have the same effect. Even if it does not stop the cold draft, my concern was mosquitoes coming in when the door was closed. This should prevent that.
Attached Thumbnails
Before.jpg   seal sample.jpg  

seal insert.jpg   seal installed.jpg  

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #3

Name: Julie
Florida
Scamp door seal

I have a similar problem in a different area of my door. This is a great, simple solution. Thank you so much! Once again, this forum saves the day.

Julie
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I ran into the SAME situation when I replaced the no-count "sponge" seal that Scamp use to use with the "D" seal (it since has been replaced with a better seal). I used some 3M "Heavy Duty" double sided tape rolled up and added at the top to "push" the seal outward. The door and/or frame is not accurate with each other obviously.

I didnt know this at first and when I had the wife to shoot water on the door after I replaced the seal, I all-of-a-sudden experienced a miniature Niagra Falls inside the door of my Scamp! Well, the water was covering the door with water and with the noise she couldnt hear me yelling STOP! I finally pulled the curtain back and was waving frantically!

Well..it's a laugh now but a aggravating mess then. But Gordon's method has been used as well....just something weather-proof to push the seal out at the top. I've seen others use the double-sided tape I mentioned and "stack" it to bring out the seal. Mine has been done now about 7 yrs with no more problems and still sealing fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxus Panzer View Post
Good day all.

I installed the new Scamp seal last weekend. Acetone (lots of it) is your friend with regards to removing the old glue, just be careful around the red painted pin stripes.

My door was indeed harder to close after the new seal went on, but not too difficult.

I do have one small problem. There is a small approx. 4-6 inch area in the top left corner of the door (as looking at door from outside) where I can see light coming in. Quick hose test with a spray of water and nothing comes in the trailer, however, if I concentrate the hose spray in the area in question I do get leakage.

Some more background, I DO have a small issue with my door hinges not being aligned properly. see this post.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ues-82781.html
I have yet to fix this issue as I am scared to death to take a drill to my Scamper

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the seal at the top of the door after installing the new Scamp seal? I will get some pictures tonight.

thanks all.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:18 AM   #5

Name: Z
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Funny you you ask.. I noticed this same thing on my 2015 model two weeks ago. I was camping when the low temperature was near freezing and felt a cold draft in the front. Turns out that, with the door closed, I could also see daylight in the area a foot or so about the latch (first photo).

I took some window seal material I had lying around and found it slipped in behind the Scamp door seal (friction fit only), and pushed the outer / edge lip (thin part) of the Scamp seal out just a little. Then with the door closed, I could not see any daylight peeking through. I only used about 10 inches since the rest of the door seals well (for now at least).

I have not road tested this yet but it fits so well I think it will stay in place. If it does not, a little adhesive should hold it.

Anything that only lifts the outer edge of the Scamp seal away from the fiberglass body a small amount would have the same effect. Even if it does not stop the cold draft, my concern was mosquitoes coming in when the door was closed. This should prevent that.
Great post and idea. I will fiddle around with this on the weekend.

Thanks.
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote