New Electric Brakes/hubs on '76 Trillium 1300 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #41

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom DeLuxe
British Columbia
Thomas, Francesca, thank you.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #42

British Columbia
Francesca, did you simply saw out the hole and use the sawn out rectangle as the door? I'd like to do this on the driver side, so we can get in there for often- used stuff without ripping up the settee each day. I see the utility of the hatch on the junction box side, but my junction box is a plastic one with four tiny Phillips screws in the corners, and I've reached the clumsy dropping small stuff age. . . .

Importantly, I attacked the hydraulics a couple of days ago, stripped all out, yuk! and removed the drums, backing plates and replaced same with the electric 10" 3500 lb electric kit. Everything fitted perfectly except for the castelated axle nuts, which were larger diameter than the 1500 lb axle, but the originals were perfectly usable, along with the washers and split pins.

YesterdayI went to Princess and bought #12 and #10 wire for the hook up. Reason for #10 white wire is that there was no #12, as hoards of trailer owners had come in and scoffed almost all the supplies, getting their trailers ready for the long week end! No #12 or #10 blue to be had and I had to buy 25 foot roll of black and blue tape band it.

This AM I measured and cut the rolls and got the Driver side wires joined at the backing plate, and one of the other side, and ran the wires from the centre of the runs forward, using the holes in the frame centre previously occupied by the hydraulic line, but of course, it started to rain, and of course, the water running down the drive comes right under the Trillium, and I was very wet from neck to bum, soaking, it was like a ford crossing, and had to quit. One day of no rain should see the job finished. Ha ha! I'll report on that next time.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #43

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Francesca, did you simply saw out the hole and use the sawn out rectangle as the door? .
Well, it was/is my intention to use the removed panels for the door surface, but at the time I was in a hurry...I put the cheapo Dometic reefer access hatches on as-is (dust blocked with reflectix), intending to come back later and replace the louvered part with the fiberglass .

Five years later, I'm still thinking about it!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Francesca, did you simply saw out the hole and use the sawn out rectangle as the door?...........
You buy a frame and door set like this:

New RV Trailer camper Toy Hauler Compartment Hatch Cargo Door 14 1 4" x 28" | eBay

They come in a variety of sizes and types - some have metal frames, some radius corners, etc.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #45

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I looked at that one, Tom, but I found it was too tall for the Trillium- there's a "shoulder" that limits the amount of flat wall that can be cut into. I used aluminum fridge access doors, which took a coat of paint nicely, so matched the trailer color better than plain white...!

The area I cut out was where the running lights go, so those are now on the doors themselves.

Sorry I don't have a better pic- this is an old one but it does show the position of the doors.

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium at Twin Lakes.jpg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #46

British Columbia
Thank you to both of you. My neighbour did the cut, edge and refit to a couple of spots on his Triple E, and I will probably do that, as I want a smaller hole, but I will contact that seller and see what he has in smaller sizes.You must have cut out the four "corners" of your Trillium, Francesca? Nice Tril you have. Any idea what your typical all up weight is? (I don't worry about this as we tow with a Tacoma TRD Off Road truck.) We will have to meet you one week end in WA. We live less than an hour from Bellingham. Don't know where Jefferson County is!

Tags
trillium