New flooring- What to do with door edge trim? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
New flooring- What to do with door edge trim?

Going to put some type of Allure flooring in my 13' Scamp in the spring.
Click image for larger version

Name:	trafficmasterupdate-atla013.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	40804
What I need is some photos of other campers lower entry door trim.
What did you do with the edge?
I have a metal strip now that wraps around the door edge and attaches on the under side of the floor, this will not work with the new flooring because of the thickness of the new floor.Click image for larger version

Name:	1ab 001a.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	40803
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Probably the simplest idea is to buy a length of thin section aluminum angle stock. You can get it 1/16" x 1" and that should work well. Most hardware stores like Ace carry it. You'll have to cut and drill it. Aluminum stock like that can be cut easily and cleanly with a miter saw and fine carbide blade. Feed the blade very slowly to prevent a hang-up. Dress the edges with a file.
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Trim

I'm sure the Lowes and Home Depot carry numerous solutions, both wooden and aluminum.

We had a similar situation with our carpeting. We use two plastic boxes to store clothes under our couch (1 shown). These boxes are slid in and out daily. In front of the boxes the floor carpet ended at a higher level than the carpet under the couch. The floor carpet had been simply cutoff here.

I used a piece of aluminum, cut it to length and screwed it down to allow a smoother sliding action. You can find wooden edge treatments in the rug and flooring departments to meet your needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Trim.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #4

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Texas
Door transition

I am finishiing up a project of installing laminate flooring in my Scamp and had the same issue at the door. I took a 2" piece of flat aluminum, cut it to fit and beveled the edges. It looks like it will work quite well.
William Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 71 Boler
If you are just installing vinyl flooring you should be able to get the original trim back on over the vinyl. I have done this on two Bolers, you may have to pull it open a little bit but it should slide back on fairly easily
Brian Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #6

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I'm putting Alure in soon. Been wondering about what to use for the trim myself. I was hoping to find something wood or wood looking, ideally matching the flooring color and finish.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #7

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Be careful, when I added my floating floor it changed the space at the bottom of the door, I had to make some last minute alterations to get the door to shut properly, it was just barely hitting on the hinge side, just an FYI
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
I'll second what Brian Tin said. The old trim piece should stretch to go over the Allure.

I will say though, that much as I like the look of the Allure in my Boler, I think if I did it again, I would go with cork or one piece of lino or something. The Allure adds alot of weight.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
I'll second what Brian Tin said. The old trim piece should stretch to go over the Allure.
That's what I thought in my boler American. The trim sprung back and pulled the last strip tile out of place. If you are going to use the old trim, bring it to a metal shop with a press and get them to spread the trim to suit your needs. The shape of the trim allows for this.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
That's what I thought in my boler American. The trim sprung back and pulled the last strip tile out of place. If you are going to use the old trim, bring it to a metal shop with a press and get them to spread the trim to suit your needs. The shape of the trim allows for this.
That's a good suggestion Roy.

I must say though that I have not had that problem at all with mine.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
what would folks suggest if that piece is missing all together???

i am eventually planning on putting some sort of laminate floating floor int he boler, but for now there is a rather large, 2 - 3" gap there, we just cover it up with a small rug that we use at the front door, .........
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote