New HF 100 Watt Kit $149 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 06:18 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
New HF 100 Watt Kit $149

Just seen this today in a Harbor Freight email advertisement, they now have a new 100 watt solar panel kit complete with the charge controller and it is on sale for $149 with coupon. This is much better than the 45 watt kit they have been offering in the past and the old one appears to be discontinued. Since the new 100 watt kit come with the 10 amp charge controller I think this a very good deal. I did notice that the kit consists of (4) 25 watt panels so I am unsure if this is as good as (1) single panel of 100 watts but I am sure someone will comment on this. You may also be able to use their 25% or 20% coupons with that as that has worked on some items for me in the store. The regular price of the new solar panel kit is $189. Here is the link:

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-Wa..._s1025_c2617b5

Old 07-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
They won't let you use an additional coupon as it is already a coupon sale item. But be sure to take a free item coupon with you. While the free stuff tends to be cheap, if you use screwdrivers as pry bars it's good to have some cheapies.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #3

Deep South
I have had some cashiers there actually take the extra 25% or 20% off a single item coupons on top of the sale price but some cashiers don't do it. Can't hurt to try, all they can say is no...
Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #4

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Just seen this today in a Harbor Freight email advertisement,
YMMV, but HF is now permanently on my "DO NOT BUY" list after too many poor quality problems. The best example was when I bought one of their electric heat guns. Great price. I needed it to soften ancient linoleum flooring adhesive. It died on the second day. I lost a day or two of work, went to a real store and got a real brand name gun that has now lasted ten years. How much money did I save. Worser case is when you are relying on something when you are out in the boondocks. When those solar panels crap out on you on a trip, remember how much you saved. (disclaimer: I still go in to buy their cheap chip brushes. Great bargain, and if one falls apart, I just get another one out of the box.)
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
There actually are some decent products at HF, you just have to be selective. Also there are many reviews on HF products out there. Read them carefully. In general I avoid power tools at HF.

I use their digital caliper for my bicycle repair hobby. Had one for five years, it finally died. Took it back to HF and the replaced it no charge.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It appears to have a plastic frame on it. This would not be something you would want to have mounted to your roof while you are driving. You would want a much stronger aluminum frame that you can secure mounting brackets to for that kind of situation.

It is also not one of the folding suitcase styles. Each panel has its own folding legs and then you have to screw a small metal plate to the backside at top and bottom on each of the panels to join them together into one piece. That means the setup time will take a while.

Might be good for having at an off grid cabin but it is not going to be at its best for a travel solar setup. Always a good idea to look at the instruction manual to see how products work and how they are assembled before you buy them and before you recommend them for a particular useage.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:43 AM   #7

Name: Skip
Trailer: in the market
South Carolina
Amazon

Check Amazon for "Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit".
skipmesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We still have one of the older 45 watt HF solar kits. Still works, and it's what got us into solar. Took it on a trip with our camper while doing some boondocking on the East coast. Solar proved it would work for me, but the old kit was not the easiest to assemble the stand.
We ended up with a single panel 90 watt system later which was much easier to set up, and then last year added another 90 watt roof mounted panel which is now the primary solar for our unit.
The HF kit at 100 watts with the controller is not the most high tech, but it is a good price for getting into solar quickly and easily.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmesick View Post
That's a good price and the 30 amp controller allows future expandability.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:26 PM   #10

Deep South
Anybody heard of Grape Solar?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #11

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Anybody heard of Grape Solar?
Isn't that the company that makes raisins?
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:50 PM   #12

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
It appears to have a plastic frame on it. This would not be something you would want to have mounted to your roof while you are driving. You would want a much stronger aluminum frame that you can secure mounting brackets to for that kind of situation.

It is also not one of the folding suitcase styles. Each panel has its own folding legs and then you have to screw a small metal plate to the backside at top and bottom on each of the panels to join them together into one piece. That means the setup time will take a while.

Might be good for having at an off grid cabin but it is not going to be at its best for a travel solar setup. Always a good idea to look at the instruction manual to see how products work and how they are assembled before you buy them and before you recommend them for a particular useage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmesick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
Isn't that the company that makes raisins?
k corbin I will be at HF this weekend and I will let you know!

skipmesick I checked that out and it is probably a pretty quality kit for the money

likeair2me, lol, I don't know maybe, but Home Depot sells their brand of solar panels and run them on sale for $99 for a 100 watt panel from time to time

Radar1 I have bought some crap stuff from HF and some stuff that turned out to be decent quality. If the item is decent or good quality it allows me to own tools that I might not otherwise be able to afford, however, I do cringe at buying "made in china" or elsewhere products, but heck most of the name brands now a days come from somewhere other than the US. I try to buy made in the USA when I have the option and can afford it. Anyway, unless Home Depot runs the Grape Solar on sale or I find a really good price on a Renogy I plan on buying one of those HF 100 watt kits...I have been patiently waiting for 2 years for when they would get something better than the 45 watt one...

As for me I don't plan on permanently mounting it to the roof of the Boler so if it is a plastic frame that may be okay but I rather set it out so I can put it in direct sun as I like to park our rig in the shade whenever possible.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:44 AM   #13

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I have heard of Grape Solar - I was looking into a Danfoss compressor fridge a few years ago thinking of going all electric and seemed to find they were an ok company.