New instalation of Dometic 3 way fridge in scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
New instalation of Dometic 3 way fridge in scamp 13

Hello all.
I am currently doing a full restoration on my scamp (mid 80's 13")

It came with an ice box originally. I just got a Dometic 2193 3 way fridge I need to install. The wiring and gas part are no problem for me. The questions I have are:
1. the owners/install manual says I need to have 2 vents. The 3 way in my larger non fiberglass trailer has a side vent and a vent on the roof. Googling pictures and scouring post here all I see for the small 3 way fridge is the one large vent under the belly band. Is this all it needs? Ideally I would like to cut less holes in my freshly painted scamp.

2. The manual also states the unit needs to be completely sealed off from the living quarters. For that to happen I would need to use some sealer on the seams around the fiberglass kitchenette, which is no big deal. However I would need to build some kind of wall between where the fridge mounts and the 2 cabinet doors to the left of the fridge. Is this how scamp does it on the newer ones? Does anyone have any photos of a 3 way fridge installed from inside the camper and out?

3, I have seen fiberglass insulation stuffed between the sides of the fridge on the inside. Should I do this? Right above it is the stove, so I am not sure how much that would help. Or should I insulate all 4 sides (top, bottom and sides)

I am pretty much doing into this install blind since I have never been in or around another scamp. Mine belonged to the USMC and was a rental on San Onofre beach north of San Diego. It was mostly gutted by the military when I got it, no electrical, gas, appliances or plumbing. Was just used for sleeping. Most of how I been installing stuff is using google image search for reference. I am pretty close to done. Just have to finish the fridge (currently has the ice box), finish the table/bed, cushions and curtains.

Some photos of my progress. Also the old icebox I spent way too much time getting my cnc routed panel to fit, and repairing all the cracks in it...only to remove it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2447(1).jpg   IMG_2448(1).jpg  

Scott Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:23 PM   #2

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Woah! That is SO COOL! I just love the green coat and the paneled cabinet doors.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:22 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
All the factory D2193 installations I have seen have two exterior side vents, a larger one at the bottom and a smaller one just under the belly band. This is from several years ago. Newer ones have radiused plastic vents.
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8E43957-F242-4349-97A9-4F1197257D25.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	138638
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:54 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have the same fridge in my Trillium. Because of limited space, it's common for manufacturers to space the vents closer than ideal. In some cases, less than the minimum recommended by the manufacturer. To increase the air flow across the coils, baffles are often added. A muffin fan can also be useful. Mine is external to the upper vent, pulling air out.

My fridge is installed in a plywood box. The only seal to the living space are the plastic strips that frame the door. No caulk. When its time to service the fridge, you need to be able to remove the fridge to gain access to the burner. Caulk would make that difficult. While I have thought of adding insulation between the fridge and the box walls, I haven't done so.

Finally, don't forget to install propane and carbon monoxide detectors. Typically they are hardwired to guaranty they are on when needed. This will create a constant load, typically less than 100 mA, on your battery. I disconnect my battery when not using the trailer, to avoid discharge. Good luck with the install.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:49 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Sink

I like your sink. One of the major short comings of my new bigfoot are both sinks. They will both be replaced in a year.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
New installation of Dometic 3 way fridge in Scamp 13

Call Scamp service, they are very helpful.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
MJo

Massachusetts
WOW!!! You really like green !!!
Old 12-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #8

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Scott, Putting this fridge in my "Lil Bigfoot " I bought a sheet of 2" hard construction foam, from Home Depot. I put a piece bottom, top, and sides. the top, bottom and one side piece fit tight against the front opening where the fridge frame is screwed down, and tight to the side of the trailer where the electrical and gas lines are installed. I put small pieces at the back of the fridge to seal the area closed. I think instructions suggest 1/4" space between sides of fridge and walls of compartment. I cut the pieces so they were a little too big requiring slight pressure to get them into the opening. the top piece is close to the stove top's bottom. Not enough heat downward to affect the hard foam. Heat and O2 go out the side vent just below the belly band. I had to reframe the opening, I left the top of the opening as it was, I closed in the sides and raised the bottom edge up. My friend has an ice box, in his Scamp, please give a report and pictures.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #9

California
Thanks everyone for the advice and compliments.

I think I am going to go with 2 of the norcold vents since they look better and are a little smaller. Also the dometic plastic vents are on backorder from scamps. Good idea with the foam board. Should be easier than wood (wood was my original plan) and has insulating qualities.

If anyone wants to upgrade their sink that one is a MR direct T1717, it was the only sink I could find that would cover the existing holes from the old sink. it's big and deep. Also installed one of the drain pull out baskets they sell. It does require some cutting to make fit, as well as some creative mounting to get the brackets to work.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
vents

my 95 scamp has the exact vents as pictured from then on the install is pretty shabby. lots of air coming from the inside.

did you have any problems getting it inside? I have heard and read stories on these!

by the way love your paint job classy

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:20 PM   #11

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Following along. I'm going to do a 3way installation in the Spring.

Love your rig, really beautiful. Nice work.
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #12
MJo

Massachusetts
Dometic 3 way fridge in Scamp 13

When you talk about “upgrading your sink”. and suggesting a MR direct T1717, what is the reason you’re upgrading ? I have the original in the 2020 13’ Scamp. what is the reason you are ‘upgrading’?
Old 12-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
When you talk about “upgrading your sink”. and suggesting a MR direct T1717, what is the reason you’re upgrading ? I have the original in the 2020 13’ Scamp. what is the reason you are ‘upgrading’?
It appears to be significantly larger and deeper and made of stainless steel. The stock sink is pretty small for washing normal sized dishes and pots, and it's made of thin plastic in newer units. Definitely a nice upgrade.

However, I notice the OP doesn't have a furnace. Mine has the optional furnace under the sink, and a deeper sink won't fit. That's okay for now because we do all our cooking and dishwashing outside.

The high arch faucet is another nice upgrade, and that will fit.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:25 PM   #14
MJo

Massachusetts
Dometic 3 way fridge in scamp 13

Yes, the plastic sink will probably get scratched and stained over time, then I’ll think about replacing it. I didn’t get the furnace but I think I might altho a little space heater should do fine. Even tho the furnace keeps the inside of the Scamp warm, how about the water tanks and lines, It would seem like they need some protection. If you’re using the Scamp in the winter with water in the tanks. I have noticed some heater strips on Amazon Smile, but I don’t see people talking about it.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Because my scamp originally came with nothing. It was completely gutted. And I know the stock sink is much smaller than that larger sink I have. I’ve made a cutting board to go on top of it but MR direct does sell a cutting board that fits it
Old 12-12-2020, 10:22 PM   #16

California
Well a short 8 hours I got it installed. Lot of fiberglass cutting, some fabrication. Ended up making a wall between the sink area and the fridge area. Still need to hook up the DC tomorrow. Not the easiest job I have done on the scamp. Think I had the fridge in and out about 5 times trying to get it to fit right. I took some video of the install, just need to edit it (well, learn how to edit first) and post it to youtube. Its not a full on how to, it's more of a what I did to make it work. Most videos I found were replacing a fridge where a fridge was. Not a fresh install. I also did not want to do a "how to" since I am not even sure if I am doing it right.

Defiantly not for the timid. You do need some tools like a flaring tool for the LP lines. Taking a circular saw to my freshly painted scamp was not fun.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...1&d=1607833064
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...1&d=1607833067
Attached Thumbnails
fridge1.jpg   fridge2.jpg  

Old 12-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #17

Name: Tracy
Trailer: Scamp 13, 1980
AZ
Beautiful MCM remodel. What kind of paint did you use on your fiberglass (inside and out) and how did you apply it (roller, brush, sprayer, etc.)?

And you did well on the fridge -- I have the same fridge in my 1980 13 and it has the two vents shown in the photo someone posted earlier. The only barrier between my sink and fridge areas under the counter is what looks and feels like carboard with tape around the edge! Yours sounds better! Great job.
TracyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyG View Post
Beautiful MCM remodel. What kind of paint did you use on your fiberglass (inside and out) and how did you apply it (roller, brush, sprayer, etc.)?

And you did well on the fridge -- I have the same fridge in my 1980 13 and it has the two vents shown in the photo someone posted earlier. The only barrier between my sink and fridge areas under the counter is what looks and feels like carboard with tape around the edge! Yours sounds better! Great job.

exterior paint I think is PPG automotive paint. was painted by a local shop near me. The elephant skin was just behr latex paint. The cabinets and trim I used a alkyd paint from sherman williams that I HIGHLY recommend it. Its not cheap, think a gallon was close to 100 dollars retail price, Fortunately my shop has an account that made it about 60. Its a much harder paint when it dries, is more durable and does not have that soft feeling like latex paints. The cabinets I used a 30 dollar air sprayer from harbor freight. The rest I rolled with a small foam weenie rollers. Any paint supply place will have it. home depot does too, called cabinet paint, but comes in very limited colors. Paint supply places can mix whatever color you want.

I made a video of my install last night if anyone cares to listen to me ramble about stuff I am pretending to know what I am doing.

Tags
fridge, scamp