New Insulation or Keep what is there?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #1

Name: Griffin
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
New Insulation or Keep what is there??

Hello All!

This is my 1986 16ft Scamp project. I have some time coming up and would like to tackle this but would like some advice.

Should I keep the rigid foam insulation that the previous owner installed along with the wooden furring strips that the insulation is placed in between or rip it out and install reflectix or something like that instead? I am ordering new windows and need to get the insulation/wall covering figured out in order to install the windows and get this project moving. Would love your thoughts!

Thanks,

Griff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1075.jpg   IMG_1076.jpg  

GriffPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #2

Name: Steven
Trailer: Waiting
Oklahoma
Call Scamp & ask what they recommend.
bact2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:54 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I would not rip out any insulation - just add more. Relectix works best with an air gap, so you might consider more furring strips.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:44 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you’ll be keeping the original transverse bed layout, adding any additional thickness will shorten the already shortened bed.

Foam is a much better thermal insulator than Reflectix (which is meant to be left exposed as a radiant barrier). If the furring and foam are solid, smooth, and gap-free, I’d be inclined to leave it and put a finish layer of marine headliner (like Scamp’s rat fur) directly over it. But any bumps or gaps will show through the thin headliner.

Leaving all that wood inside the wall could mean trouble down the road if you have leaks in any of the windows or vents. A full resealing of everything now and ongoing maintenance will prevent that. What you have is similar to what Bigfoot does, so you’re in good company!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #5

Name: Griffin
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Well that definitely makes sense in regard to the wood/moisture. I will be sure to seal it well. I appreciate the advice and will update with more questions as I go along I'm sure! Take care!
GriffPete is offline   Reply With Quote