New Mattress and Cold Weather "Hard As A Rock" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #1

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
New Mattress and Cold Weather "Hard As A Rock"

After 300 nights in our Escape our cheap ETI supplied queen mattress is starting to take on a new shape for each of us. Probably a cheap mattress.

We're thinking of either purchasing a Purple or Casper mattress. Both are foam style. Years ago we had a foam mattress topper that became hard as a rock when it got below 50 degrees and we had to soften the mattress up with our body heat. The topper never went with again when cold weather was anticipated.

We're now retired and leave Minnesota for three months in Texas, NM, and Arizona where it easily get 40F or less when we go in the camper and turn on the furnace.

Do these mattress' still have the "hard as a rock" problem?

Our friends have a Sleep Number for their Airstream, but it has it's own set of problems. What other mattress' do you recommend?

Thanks,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Since the beds in these trailers are odd sizes, most folks have foam probably because they're cheap and easy to cut. But there are spring mattresses that might solve your problem if your bed is a standard size. Just a thought.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:26 PM   #3

Ours is a standard queen.

Thanks,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 11-12-2021, 02:31 PM   #4

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I have used a 12 volt mattress pad heater to soften the memory foam in chilly weather. It also makes for a nice warm bed. I unplug it when I get in bed to save battery power and keep me from getting too warm.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Ours is a standard queen.

Thanks,

Perry
I should add that despite spending 1/3 of my life on top of one, I know very little about how they're made. There was a time when I knew how to tie one down on top of a VW bug but even that escapes me.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:58 PM   #6

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Your mattress is likely memory foam. at cooler temperatures, memory foam exhibits more rigidity and inflexibility. At very cool temperatures, memory foam can actually feel hard initially until the material warms up.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:02 AM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Bought this mattress with no issues via Amazon.

Full Size Mattress, Avenco Full Size Memory Foam Mattress in a Box, 10 Inch Gel-Infused Full Mattress with Plush Cover, Ultimate Comfort & Supportive CertiPUR-US & ISPA Certified
4.5 out of 5 stars 945 ratings
Price: $369.00
Coupon
Save an extra $20.00 when you apply this coupon.
Details

We like it. It does get a little harder in cold temperatures, but certainly not uncomfortably hard.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #8

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
After 300 nights in our Escape our cheap ETI supplied queen mattress is starting to take on a new shape for each of us. Probably a cheap mattress.

We're thinking of either purchasing a Purple or Casper mattress. Both are foam style. Years ago we had a foam mattress topper that became hard as a rock when it got below 50 degrees and we had to soften the mattress up with our body heat. The topper never went with again when cold weather was anticipated.

We're now retired and leave Minnesota for three months in Texas, NM, and Arizona where it easily get 40F or less when we go in the camper and turn on the furnace.

Do these mattress' still have the "hard as a rock" problem?

Our friends have a Sleep Number for their Airstream, but it has it's own set of problems. What other mattress' do you recommend?

Thanks,

Perry
Scoot over to Albert Lea or up to Kenyon to the Minnesota Mattress Factory Showroom (http://www.minnesotamattressfactory.com/ ) and check out their selection of RV / Camper and even custom Mattresses! Yes, they will even custom build you a mattress. My skin does not like memory foam and it causes me to sweat profusely! Latex does not bother me, so I had my local mattress company (Jamestown Mattress) custom make me a mattress using Latex foam. So much better than the crappy mattresses that the RV companies supply!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:34 AM   #9

Name: Heidi
South Carolina
You have the right idea to get a mattress in a bag. We ordered a double 8" for our Casita and it unfurled beautifully. It's VERY comfortable. Sorry I forget the brand but this is our 3rd mattress in a bag (all different companies) that we purchased and we love them all.
H Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #10

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
California
Foam

Memory Foam gets hard in cold weather and it doesn't have to be that cold. I have memory foam seat cushions in my Van that I bought from Costco, They always get hard when it is cold and I live in southern California where it doesn't get that cold. As you sit on them they gradually get softer.
Randyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #11

Name: sven
FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Scoot over to Albert Lea or up to Kenyon to the Minnesota Mattress Factory Showroom (Home | Minnesota Mattress Factory Store - Sleep Great, Live Better. ) and check out their selection of RV / Camper and even custom Mattresses! Yes, they will even custom build you a mattress. My skin does not like memory foam and it causes me to sweat profusely! Latex does not bother me, so I had my local mattress company (Jamestown Mattress) custom make me a mattress using Latex foam. So much better than the crappy mattresses that the RV companies supply!!!
Isn't that heavy as .... . I have a queen latex at home and have a neighbor help me flip/rotate it twice a year.
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #12

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
If you have an IKEA near you....check them out. We bought a mattress from them several years ago for our Casita.....it's great. It is a firm memory foam.....we just tuck the rounded corners under.....no cutting or trimming. The nice thing about IKEA.....you can lay on the mattresses before buying.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:56 PM   #13

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
Has ETI lowered mattress quality?

We have lived full time in our 2017 21 since it was new and we are using the original mattress. We really like it but find it is not as comfortable as it was new. So next spring when we are up in Canada for the Osoyoos rally we plan on buying a new one from ETI.

Does ETI use the same mattresses from 2017 or are the new ones a lower quality?
Old 11-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We have lived full time in our 2017 21 since it was new and we are using the original mattress. We really like it but find it is not as comfortable as it was new. So next spring when we are up in Canada for the Osoyoos rally we plan on buying a new one from ETI.

Does ETI use the same mattresses from 2017 or are the new ones a lower quality?
We've decided to purchase a Saatva Luxury Firm mattress. It has excellent reviews and their outlet for cosmetic seconds is in Minnesota, so only $495, but you must pick it up, no shipping. I'm a side sleeper with a problematic hip and the ETI supplied mattress was really OK at best. After 400+ nights, the mattress needs replacing.

We've had memory foam in a camper, but camp in cold weather, so memory foam's "hard as a rock" is not for us. The Saatva has a small amount of memory foam in the hip/back that will heat up quite quickly. If I remember I'll add a review to this thread after our three month winter trip.

Enjoy,

Perry