New Old Stock Window Shock! Help, Please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
New Old Stock Window Shock! Help, Please

Well today I took out the windows in my camper and scraped junk off of them most of the day. Put one window in...The other window opening ...The PO routed the window opening larger by about 1/4 inch sides and bottom. I really need advice from a fiberglass person or any suggestions? Rain tomorrow got it covered with a tarp. I am feeling discouraged, have worked so hard...do not know how to handle this one.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
I have a Uhaul CT13
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Oh, Diane, don't feel too badly. You already have one window IN!! and that's a very, very good thing. This is just a little hiccup.

Could you give a few more details as to what issue the larger opening is causing? Do you have enough gasket for the larger opening, or is it now too short? When you put the gasket in, is the 2nd window fitting too loosely in the gasket?

Hang in there, because there's a lot of knowledgeable people here who can chime in to give you assistance. Some pictures might also help.

Make sure that you have all your cushions out of the way of any accidental leaks until your windows are fully installed.

You will can do this, and it will work out great.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #3

Virginia
Oh Pam Thank you for being so encouraging. Yes I am so greatful for the one window! I actually can open one window now, couldn't open any before. Silicon and glue held them together. I guess I had high expectations...been waiting all winter to do this, and other improvements, am tired. The problem is the opening is too big for the weatherstrip to hold window in securely, loose at least 1/2 inch.
I also did make a front dinette, done the easy way...That's good also.
Bought LED replacement bulbs, they didn't work...I had done the wiring backwords....on 12 volt THE BLACK WIRE IS HOT. DUHHH...
Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #4

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post

Could you give a few more details as to what issue the larger opening is causing? Do you have enough gasket for the larger opening, or is it now too short? When you put the gasket in, is the 2nd window fitting too loosely in the gasket?
Correct, Pam. Too loose.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I can't imagine why someone would enlarge the opening. The best solution here is to buy a new window from the supplier that member Higginra used to source new windows for his Uhaul. They custom made them to fit his openings, and price was a little over $100. They are a clamp ring type window, like the front and rear windows are. I made an adapter piece of 1/8" aluminum to install a Scamp side window that was smaller than the opening in our Uhaul, but I wouldn't recommend that method because of time and cost. I did that before those NOS windows came available. I don't know of any other weatherstrip that you might use to make up the difference. Do it right and get a window that fits right, you're this far into it anyway.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #6

Virginia
These are pics of this window, I had addressed in a previous forum.
It's pasted in here.

CT Windows, Gape at the Gap....
Please help, There is a gap in my window space???? Gearing up to put in the new windows and noticed a huge gap... Do you think I need wider trim or do not know how to make window opening smaller. The new trim is 1" wide and the old window trim measurement especially in the corners measures at least 1 1/4 or more inches. I think the only thing holding this window in is silicon 3' thick. HA!
And do you need the pull cord on the escape window as the new trim does not have a pull cord.????? I don't think parts of me would fit through that tiny window anyway.....HA!
windows 002E.jpg Views: 26 Size: 63.6 KB ID: 56085" style="margin: 2px" />

windows 007E.jpg Views: 24 Size: 80.1 KB ID: 56086" style="margin: 2px" />

Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Diane, so sorry to hear this.

I see at least two solutions.

One is to build the window frame back to the original dimensions with fiberglass mat. If done cleverly, you might be able to keep all the ugliness under the rubber overlap so you don't get into gel coat and paint appearance repair issues.

A second solution would be to buy a window like higginra did from the tear drop shop. As I recall, the cost was reasonable and you can easily resell your new and old windows to recover some of the cost. I know, not a perfect solution, but a fall back that has been proven.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post362075
Old 03-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #8

Virginia
Bob, that would be a good choice. I am hesitant spending much more money on this project.... I wonder if you could patch in a piece of some kind of material with fiberglas resin then sand it down... How did you do yours with the aluminum piece?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #9

Virginia
Tom, how do you think the Higgina window would look on the trailer with a clamp ring
when the other side is rubber? How do you measure for the right size to be made.
The only way I could do this would be to sell my New Old stock window.
I also have the old ones as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #10

Registry
Diana, They'll both have be black trimmed radius corner windows, and you'll have curtains or blinds covering part of them. I don't think the difference will be that noticeable. And with what you started on, everything you are doing is a HUGE improvement.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #11

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I wonder if the window is a replacement that the PO bought that wasn't quite as large as the opening. You may want to investigate that and if so, advertise for an original window. I've seen many pepole replacing their original windows that might do the trick with just a good refurbishing.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #12

New York
Diane: I don't think fiberglass patch here is the answer. What I did with the aluminum is cut a piece larger than the opening, then cut out the correct size opening for the window in the aluminum. I then attached this aluminum adapter to the outside of the trailer with resin and a few screws. Then I just set the window into the opening. Note that I was using a Scamp window that has a flange and uses a clamp ring on the inside. Worked OK, and I now have a jalousie window on the right side. However the 1/8" aluminum was quite expensive, around $60 for a piece big enough to do two windows, although I only did one and then installed one of those NOS windows on the other side. Used the cut out piece of aluminum for my drawer front that I put in place of the furnace, and another door to access storage below the furnace space. Your best bet is to get one of those custom made windows and install it, you'll have to provide them with the opening size. I'm wondering if your oversize opening was a factory screwup. At one time I posted a couple pictures of our trailer and one was of the side with the Scamp window, but I can't locate that thread now. The opening size on our uhaul for the side window is 24 5/8 wide, 19 1/8 high, what does yours measure. And yes the new weatherstrip is slightly narrower than the original but works OK. Don't forget to seal up those two 1/8" holes at the top of the window frame, the new weatherstrip doesn't cover them.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
I wonder if the window is a replacement that the PO bought that wasn't quite as large as the opening. You may want to investigate that and if so, advertise for an original window. I've seen many pepole replacing their original windows that might do the trick with just a good refurbishing.
Diane has the New Old Stock windows, she's not redoing the originals.

As for those windows that Robert [Higginra] bought, that is the best price I have seen for a custom made to size replacement window. When I was looking way back before the NOS windows came up, I found prices in the $300 and up range for a custom made window. I paid around $160 for the one Scamp window.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #14

New York
Another thought, if you do get a new window made to fit I would keep that extra NOS window, it could always be used on the other side if something happened to that one. I bought two, so far only used one because of previously installing the Scamp window, and I'm keeping the extra, that was a once in a lifetime deal that we'll never see again.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Diane: I don't think fiberglass patch here is the answer. What I did with the aluminum is cut a piece larger than the opening, then cut out the correct size opening for the window in the aluminum. I then attached this aluminum adapter to the outside of the trailer with resin and a few screws. Then I just set the window into the opening. Note that I was using a Scamp window that has a flange and uses a clamp ring on the inside. Worked OK, and I now have a jalousie window on the right side. However the 1/8" aluminum was quite expensive, around $60 for a piece big enough to do two windows, although I only did one and then installed one of those NOS windows on the other side. Used the cut out piece of aluminum for my drawer front that I put in place of the furnace, and another door to access storage below the furnace space. Your best bet is to get one of those custom made windows and install it, you'll have to provide them with the opening size. I'm wondering if your oversize opening was a factory screwup. At one time I posted a couple pictures of our trailer and one was of the side with the Scamp window, but I can't locate that thread now. The opening size on our uhaul for the side window is 24 5/8 wide, 19 1/8 high, what does yours measure. And yes the new weatherstrip is slightly narrower than the original but works OK. Don't forget to seal up those two 1/8" holes at the top of the window frame, the new weatherstrip doesn't cover them.
Bob, I'm taking a look to see if I can find the thread that you're referring to.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #16

Registry
Here is one thread on installing windows with the clamp ring. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-56179.html

And a couple more:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/putting-scamp-window-in-uhaul-ct13-55761.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/window-corner-radius-54862.html
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Tom, how do you think the Higgina window would look on the trailer with a clamp ring
when the other side is rubber? How do you measure for the right size to be made.
The only way I could do this would be to sell my New Old stock window.
I also have the old ones as well.
I don't think that anyone would notice unless you pointed it out. The front and rear windows use a clamp ring and I really didn't notice the difference until I started working on the windows. I'd also note that the clamp ring style seals much more positively with the butyl caulk than the problematic rubber seal on the side windows. Since the window is custom, you tell the supplier what the opening size is, including corner radius and wall thickness (and left or right side). The supplier makes a window to fit.

As I recall the final price was less than $150.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post367327
That only buys one good session with a psychiatrist these days.

I think that you could sell your old windows and the new old stock window on eBay for a good price. There is a steady demand and they ain't makin' 'em no mo.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #18

New York
Diane, there you go, Tom & I agree to go with the custom sized clamp ring window. Unless you're trying to end up with a perfect restoration, nobody will notice the difference in windows. No one has commented on my side windows being totally different, or about the aluminum adapter. I'm curious as to the measurements of your window opening, post that when you get a chance. I'll bet it was a factory mistake, and at that point the easiest thing for them was stick a window in and let the Uhaul location deal with the problem.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #19

Name: Robert
Trailer: CT13
Indiana
Diane I am always here to help just like everyone else. My number is three 1 7 650 one one 69. From what I have read so far I think I can help. I will need all your rough opening sizes so I can make sure we order the correct size for your opening. After ordered the take about 3 weeks to be made and shipped to you.

Robert Higginbotham
Higginra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higginra View Post
Diane I am always here to help just like everyone else. My number is three 1 7 650 one one 69. From what I have read so far I think I can help. I will need all your rough opening sizes so I can make sure we order the correct size for your opening. After ordered the take about 3 weeks to be made and shipped to you.

Robert Higginbotham
Robert, when you had your windows made, did they make the right and left windows differently or are they identical?