New owner of a '72 Compact Jr - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #21

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Thanks Bobbie

Thanks for the link. Nice job. I think the Campster is a bit wider than the Junior, mine isn't wide enough to sleep across the camper.

I removed my water tank too and bought some big clear plastic storage tubs to fit under the seats to hold some gear.

Somewhere I saw a photo of a wider bed on one side and a chair on the opposite side that looked comfortable.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #22

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
It's 72 inches across, I think. Definitely shorter than a regular bed but I already had the mattress to fit since it was made for an antique bed. I'm 5'7" and it works for me but for someone much taller it might be too short.

I've thought of doing two cots- my Mom could come when she wanted to- but she has a hard time climbing up into the trailer. Plus they'd be pretty narrow. Though I've heard of people doing it.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #23

Name: Kath
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Roseville, Ca Compact Jr.

I everyone we have a '72 Compact Jr. and live in Roseville, CA. We took it out last year to the Oregon Rally GREAT FUN. This year my husband wants to get serious and fix some things up. It would be wonderful to see pictures of what you have done and good ideas. We would love to make a fixxed bed set up with smaller table at the end. My husband is 6 ft. and we have tried to sleep sidewides but it did not work for him. So now we are thinking of making the Ice Box side a little longer. He figures he needs 75". And then look into getting custom sized custions. We also bought some scissor jacks and plan to have them welded onto the frame which will free up some storage for the jacks! and then he wants to put in a small frig (we got for free) in place of the ice box but set it up so we can use it as a frig/ice box (we don't want to pay for hook ups all the time) but mostly I just want to go camping!!!! Would love to check out other rigs if your close by..............we are also on the Facebook Compact Jr. page
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You can look at my link in Post #4 above for what I did with the bed question.

I used an IKEA folding futon mattress that can be flipped on top of itself to provide a 2 person dinette.

Might be a good idea to start a new thread.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #25

Name: Kath
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Cool Compact Jr. Bed/seating Pads

Thanks Bob we never thought to try out Ikea Futton for a pad. Does anyone else have a great source for really good pads. Husband is 6 foot and has a bad back.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #26

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you are near an IKEA be sure to shop the "As-Is" room every time, when you get there and when you leave. Stuff is added all day long. I try to be there when the doors open at 9:30.

I got my innerspring futon mattress there for $50, BUT, to fit it I have to remove 3 rows of springs as well as cut down the spring steel perimeter frame. A real pain.

I used an IKEA memory foam futon mattress in a micro-motorhome and it could be cut down with a bread knife.

IKEA is a great source for RV adaptable parts, here is a partial list of what I have used from there, almost all of it from the As-Is Room
Solid wood counter tops
S.S. Offset serving shelf mounting pylons (with scrap cut from above)
single handle faucets (very compact)
Curtain tracks (channel with wheeled trucks)
lots of bedding, duvets, down filled comforters
All kinds of fabrics for curtains and upholstery
LED lighting strips (Native voltage is 12VDC for some)
Laminate flooring
S.S. Kitchen Sink (round and deep)
All kinds of kitchen storage stuff.

Much of the stuff at IKEA is designed for compact European houses and is very space saving in RV's.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote