New Owner, Used Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: inTech
Kansas
New Owner, Used Casita

I bought a used 2010 17" Casita last spring. due to an unimaginably awful service experience, i was unable to use the trailer at all this year. I paid Camping World 229.99 to do a 45 point inspection, which was supposed to help me find out what might need attention. In spite of keeping the trailer for over 3 months, the inspection was never done, as far as i can tell. The water pump switch does not seem to be doing anything. I was going to flush the system and winterize, but i cannot seem to figure out how to get the pump to turn on. i'm afraid that i will have to get into the place where the pump is located to figure out what is going on, which will be very difficult. there is a custom made mattress that will be a nightmare to get out by myself. (obviously, that inspection was never done) any ideas?
lrb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Have you got water in your fresh water tank?
Old 01-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb945 View Post
" The water pump switch does not seem to be doing anything. "(
Is the pump not turning on or is the pump turning on but not pumping water ? Multiple but different issues / answers for each scenario. You should be able to hear / feel the pump run when you turn it on .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #4

My pump in my Escape makes no noise when the switch is turned on. It only makes noise when a tap is opened and it pumps water.
If no water in tank, it won't pump. Or, if the aerator in the faucet is plugged with debris, it won't pump, and won't make noise.
It works like a petrol pump at a gas station. When it senses back-pressure, it stops pumping. Debris in the aerator can create that back pressure.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #5

Kansas
steve, that's what i expected, based on past experience. there is just nothing. also, i think it is a lighted switch, isn't it? no light comes on.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #6

Kansas
glenn, there is antifreeze in the fresh water tank, which should work, right?
Old 01-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #7

If there is enough. I don't put antifreeze in the fresh water tank. I just drain it. It's a large space, allowing for plenty of expansion if a little bit of water freezes. There needs to be enough liquid for the pump to pick it up.

I don't use the electric pump to winterize. I use a hand pump through the city water inlet. Water heater has to be drained and bypassed.

If you can, I would fill the fresh water, try the pump and then drain the tank and winterize. Kind of hard to trouble-shoot the pump without water.
Attached Thumbnails
Hand pump.jpg  
Old 01-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #8

Have you got another faucet, shower or toilet that you could try to run with the pump switched on? If that works, you'd know that the aerator in the faucet you have been using is clogged.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #9

Kansas
both faucets are open--nothing. i'l try what you have suggested tomorrow, when there's daylight!
Old 01-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #10

Kansas
could the problem be a fuse?
Old 01-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #11

I'm not familiar with your trailer and can't remember if mine lights up or not when switched on. Might as well check the fuse. Replace it if you have a spare as it can be deceptive whether fuse is gone or not.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #12

Kansas
good advice--i'll try that tomorrow, too. now;;if only i had some help moving that mattress!
Old 01-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm not familiar with your trailer and can't remember if mine lights up or not when switched on. Might as well check the fuse. Replace it if you have a spare as it can be deceptive whether fuse is gone or not.
The standard factory pump switch on a Casita is a black , non illuminated , rocker style switch. LHC sells an aftermarket illuminated pump switch which glows red in the on position for the Casita.
I have installed the illuminated switch in my 2013 Casita but have no idea what type of switch the OP has.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #14

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
New Owner, Used Casita

Just a note: many switches with lights have the lighted part wired separately from the poles of the switch. Many automotive switches have the light turned on all the time if wired for light (so that you can find the switch in the dark). My Scamp's lighted switch was not wired to light up, which I'm just fine with. Otherwise I'd see it at night while trying to sleep.
chrischampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #15

Kansas
interesting. my switch is red and looks as though it should light up when on the way the water heater switch does.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
The best advice one can give to a Casita owner is to stay away from Camping World for everything, unless they are the last resort. From your comments it appears you may have an electrical issue. Do all the interior lights work? The red switch indicates that it may be a lighted switch that will normally glow red when on, even if the pump failed to operate. Check your fuses.
Jerry Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #17

Kansas
amen! wish i had talked to you before i went there!!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:26 PM   #18

We haven't yet identified the problem. It may have nothing to do with Camping World, or it may. Things crap out for various reasons, and sitting for months unused is a potential reason.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:04 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Linda, a few things for you. Like Glenn said, you have to have water in the tank for the pump to work. My SD has a cargo door, curb side rear, that you can see the tank level. Bring it up to about 3" for testing. A little bit of antifreeze in it wont work. Look at the back side of your pump switch, if it's lighted it should have 3 wires on the back side. Lastly, you don't say, but have you tried the pump being plugged into shore power? If not and your battery is dead, all this is moot for working .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #20

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
A great site for new or old Casita owners is on Facebook. It's a closed group with lots of new owners. Many of them women like yourself. If you aren't on facebook, it would be worth joining just to take advantage of all the tips and support.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CasitaOwners/
Jerry Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita