new scamp owner - help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2002, 09:59 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
new scamp owner - help

Hi. My girlfriend and I just purchased and eighties 13 foot Scamp. We are pretty excited to get it out on the road but neither of us have ever used a travel trailer. The manual that came with the trailer is pretty unhelpful for us novices and I thought at one point on my travels about the internet that I saw a downloadable manual that was more informative. Does anyone know where this is or how to get more info. on the operation and care of this trailer? My girlfriend has been in touch with the Scamp offices, here in Minn. but hasn't had much luck. We also got these jacks to hoist the thing off the ground for the winter but can't really figure out how to use them. Sorry for such a long, wandering post. Any info. would be appreciated. thanks. J.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 10:33 AM   #2

John re Scamp manual

here is a link I found using google:

http://scamp.n0kfb.org/manual/contents.htm

Old 10-11-2002, 05:55 PM   #3

Manual? Manuel who?

Wow Rick,

The same guy in Tibet that wrote the Casita owner's manual must have written the Scamp manual! Actually I think the Scamp manual appears a bit better.

I trust that your Bigfoot manual is professionally written, Rick.

The Casita so-called manual is the only thing that is not befitting an otherwise classy operation. B.t.w., does anyone know what happened to the new manual that Casita was rumored to be preparing recently?

Please feel free to delete this message if you don't consider it tasteful, but it is topical! So there!

By the way John, you and your gal will love that Scamp. IMNSHO, it's the second best travel trailer in the world and you can hardly beat that!

Old 10-11-2002, 06:42 PM   #4

George

Was the manual not legible? (I actually never read it - so if it wasn't I apologize.) :r

Old 10-11-2002, 07:31 PM   #5

Hang on, John!

There are several Scamp owners who participate on this website; surely soon some of them will check in and be able to help answer questions you have that are specific to your Scamp.

I don't know about the manual you describe, being available over the internet, but I do know there are some good books on general RVing and on using 12 volt systems, etc. If somebody doesn't beat me to it, I'll get back on with some specific titles you can look for.

Thanks for posting your question(s). Stay tuned...

:sunny

Old 10-11-2002, 08:04 PM   #6

Rick.........

The link that you posted opens fine. The Scamp manual beats the Casita manual in that it does have some electrical and mechanical schematics. Casita would do well to include schematics in their new manual, when they decide to do one.

Don't worry John, you'll have lots of support from this group.

Old 10-14-2002, 02:17 PM   #7

Sorry this took so long...

:wave John, I finally got a chance to look up the titles of a couple of books.

My dad always liked (and loaned me his copy)-
RV Repair and Maintenance Manual by Bob Livingston (Trailer Life Books).

Another book that comes highly recommended is -
Woodall's RV Owner's Handbook.

For more detail on 12-volt stuff, you might look for
Managing 12 Volts: How to Upgrade, Operate and Troubleshoot 12 Volt Electrical Systems.

And, finally, Trailer Life Magazine is a fun read.... :party

Old 10-14-2002, 09:57 PM   #8

When I have the opportunity to read Trailer Life (free at library, of coursel), I never skip the Tech column and the reader tips area. Lots of good background info. Occasionally, TL will produce a tech article on appliances, tires, 12VDC systems, etc. Their campground guide is reportedly one of the best, altho I must confess I have never actually used it; I had a Woodall's once but now find the weight and space better used by other guides than ones to the commercial RV parks.

Pete and Rats

Old 10-16-2002, 12:28 PM   #9

thanks for scamp help, and a question about covers

Hey. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on getting more info. on our scamp. I checked out that link to the owner's manual and it was the one I had seen before but had been unable to relocate. Thanks again and I'll be posting again soon with more questions, I'm sure.

Oh, one thing I just thought of - has anyone purchased a slip cover for their trailer? What are the price options? We are going to have to store it outside for the long Minnesota winter so I'm wondering how much protection we need. Thanks.

Tags
scamp