new scamp owner... what are the wires on the backing plate of axle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #1

Name: kevin
Trailer: 1990 scamp 16ft
Kentucky
new scamp owner... what are the wires on the backing plate of axle?

Hello... i recently purchased a 16 ft scamp. There are wires on the backing plates of the wheel assembly off the axle. What are they for? I don't think it has electric brakes (at least PO didn't know if it had them.) And there is nothing in the paper work... The wires dive into the mat fiberglass so i am not sure where they go? And it only has a 4 point plug. I haven't removed the rims and tires yet,,, so i have no idea what is inside the hubs...... Thanks in advance for any info... Rookie question i know.
ampline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #2

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1996 Scamp 16
South Dakota
I have a 1996 16 foot Scamp and it has breaks. I believe that is fairly standard when they are new. It is possible the wiring was redone on the connector by a previous owner to accommodate what they had on their tow vehicle. Brakes are nice to have but some people don't consider them necessary given the weight of a Scamp. For me the brakes are good insurance if I need to stop quickly. With my brake controller I can stop the trailer from wagging which is also nice.

---------
1996 Scamp 16
HighPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #3

Name: kevin
Trailer: 1990 scamp 16ft
Kentucky
hmmmm... i wonder where they terminated the wires? I can't even see where they run once they go behind mat fiberglass to frame. I am tearing out the carpet tomorrow so maybe i will learn where they go? (if they enter the cabin?) I will dig a little deeper tomorrow. I would love it if it had brakes. Thanks
ampline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Brakes are standard on a Scamp 16'. If you go to the Documents center on this forum you will find a wiring diagram for the Scamp. What you described sound like they are the brake wires. You can also down load the full manual for the Scamp from their website - it includes the wiring and water diagrams. They trailers havent changed a lot over the years so the manual will be a good guide regardless of the year of trailer.

As far as not using the brakes go you need to consider that most states require brakes be used on trailers over x so many pounds (varies from state to state) as do many car manufactures. Some of them require brakes to be used on trailers over 1000 lbs. So you should check your state law as well as your tow vehicles owners manual. FYI in case you havent actually weighed your trailer yet can expect it to come in between 2500 to 2800lbs when loaded for camping.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Brake wires are usually blue with a ground wire usually white. The wires tie together under the front bench seat near where the wires come through the shell. If you hook up the brakes I would order a molded 7 pin pigtail plug and a junction box from E-trailer or sometimes Northern has a deal on the pigtails.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #6

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I bought a new 7 pin pig tail from the RV trailer center. it was too short. I took it back and got a longer one. measure the length of your 4 pin pig tail. extra length is better than too short. A control for newer vehicles will plug into a port under the steering wheel, but there should be a 7 pin connector at the back of the vehicle. If there is a 4 pin outlet at the rear then you will need to get under the steering wheel area and splice into the brake peddle wiring, as I have done with a 2001 Toyota tundra. I then ran wires back to the rear. where a 4 pin factory pig tail was installed, to the tail light plug in. I don,t know if you can get a factory 7 pin plug in. I plugged into the 4 pin, with a 7 pin 4 pin adapter. I like the use of a connector box, as Eddie suggests! You will have to buy a control unit for about $100.00. people have reviewed controllers here on the forum. My friend had a 7 pin installed, by his dealer for several hundred dollars, it included the control unit. It is a Honda.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
call scamp, they can tell you where the wires go without you digging around.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
call scamp, they can tell you where the wires go without you digging around.
LOL no need to dig around - they all go to the tongue wiring diagram here
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #9

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 1981 16 foot
Michigan
Hi Kevin, I've got the same on mine. They are for the brakes. Mine are not hooked up but just hanging there. I pull my 16 ft scamp with a Nissan Murano and have no problem at the stop light. I had my wheels repacked and the trailer guy said there is no problem just leaving is un hooked. Its just a matter what you want to do.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #10

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
When I bought my Scamp, the brakes were removed but the wiring was still there. I ordered new brakes from etrailer. I recommend you get the brakes working. Biggest thing with needing brakes is the weight of the trailer vs the tow vehicle. My tow is much heavier that the trailer, but I like the extra control trailer brakes give.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
Its just a matter what you want to do.
Actually it really doesnt matter what he wants to do but what the state he lives in says he has to do as well as what his tow vehicles manual says he needs to do.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Not to mention the added benefit of being able to apply the brakes to the trailer alone to stop any swaying after an evasive manouver. That is worth the expense alone.
"The tail wagging the dog" does happen and is sure to get one's heart rate way up along with a few expletives.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #13

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1996 Scamp 16
South Dakota
I would assume if someone changed the connector that the wires are still in the cable bundle. It is probably as simple as putting a new connector on. You will need the breaks inspected before using them. After years of not being used they could even lock up when you do go to use them. I had my brakes and bearings done when I got my Scamp.

---------
1996 Scamp 16
HighPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
You will need the breaks inspected before using them. After years of not being used they could even lock up when you do go to use them. I had my brakes and bearings done when I got my Scamp.
Good advise - if the previous owner didnt even know the trailer had brakes its a good bet they never checked or packed the wheel bearings either.

Tags
axle, scamp