New scamps, trimline awning, and Really Ugly Cushions... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 13 ft Scamp
So, I've put in an order for a 13' scamp. And the more research I do, the more questions I have. I'm obviously going to need to head up to the factory to actually look at things before mine gets made. Or just track down a newish used one (after they made them taller, since the husband is too tall for his own good...)

Questions:

It seems like people really don't like the factory awning, for which they are charging $430. (Actually, it's 10% off, but anyway)... In doing some research, it looks like the Trimline awning, _with_ the screen room attachment, wouldn't cost much more at all.

So. I am not sufficiently handy to drill holes in a BRAND NEW trailer. :-) Would scamp install that one for me, if I brought it? If not, where should I have it done so that they didn't screw it up?

Second conundrum:

They sent me samples of cushion material. There are only two samples - they said they're running low. They are both PLAID - a nasty brown 70s plaid, and a blue and red 80s plaid. I hate plaid. I made it through both the 70s and the 80s and don't want to be reminded of either. :-) Suggestions? Think they would make me cushions out of fabric I bought?

Laura Heiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Why not call Scamp and ask?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Re: the cushions, I don't know whether Scamp would agree to use fabric you purchased but if they won't, I would ask them to sell you the uncovered cushions & have them covered yourself with fabric that you like. I wouldn't want to settle for something I hated.

When we bought our Scamp it still had the original (ugly ) cushions. The foam was still good, though, so we had new covers made from a nice soft denim. I love the way they look and they feel great.

Good luck!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Why not call Scamp and ask?

I will. :-) I just want to hear whether folks have done something like this before. Ammunition, of sorts, for the discussion. If they get cranky at that sort of thing, then I'd like to be forewarned.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #5

So I just called them up.
Nope, that's all the cushion fabric they have.
Nope, they don't think they're ugly.
Nope, they don't want to sell me uncovered ones.
Nope, they won't work with fabric I bring.
Nope, they don't know if it's the same awnings they had a few years ago (i.e. the ones everyone hates).
Nope, they don't know if their awnings are the ones that dometic's screen rooms work with.

Nope.

No how.

I talked with salesman Jim. Is there someone out there who's more helpful? I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
So I just called them up.
Nope, that's all the cushion fabric they have.
Nope, they don't think they're ugly.
Nope, they don't want to sell me uncovered ones.
Nope, they won't work with fabric I bring.
Nope, they don't know if it's the same awnings they had a few years ago (i.e. the ones everyone hates).
Nope, they don't know if their awnings are the ones that dometic's screen rooms work with.

Nope.

No how.

I talked with salesman Jim. Is there someone out there who's more helpful? I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall.

Try Wayne, Sales guy or Kent, owner
Old 01-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like customer satisfaction is NOT the motto at the Scamp factory! I hope you will call back & talk to Wayne or Kent. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The fact they've said 'No" doesn't seem too unreasonable to me. If they tried to accommodate everyone's wishes, they'd never get anything done. I thought you could buy foam and/or the upholstery separate.... so, I'd think they'd sell the cushions alone. But, if you're buying the trailer new, it's not like they're going to discount the price just because you don't take the upholstery. That would be like General Motors discounting a truck because you don't take the tires. Take the cushions apart and either sell the upholstery, there seems to be lots looking for the retro look, or use the upholstery for a pattern.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 2008
I am purchasing a new 16' Scamp trailer .. sales consultant .. Alan Sheley. Found him to be very helpful and understanding of my wants and wishes. (And those of the Canadian and provincial govts.. duh!)

You / they might be having problems with cushions..remember those dumb tags we remove! The awning track from what i was told is similiar to all the rest of the trailers..in that you just slide it in their track. We did buy their awning.

hope this helps .. bill

scouterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
You know the factory is working at capacity currently and any deviation can slow the whole assembly down. They probably have a date certain for making the cushions and if your fabric were to be delayed in arrival that would but a monkey wrench in the works. Also the weight of the fabric could be a problem in sewing. I know my sewing machine gives me fits when I change from one weight or type fabric to another.

I humbly disagree with the factory not caring about customer satisfaction. Scamp does a pretty good job of working with the customer and adding or deleting appliances/options. Other fiberglass manufacturers are not as accomodating and do package deals much like car dealers. You have to realize that there is just so much that they can really do. It would be difficult to run a business that accommodated every single customers individual requests that deviate from their normal routine. And if you did, you'd probably still have customers that complain about the manufacturer.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:17 AM   #11

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I dunno...selling a set of uncovered cushions doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to me. My experience at the factory was not great, mind you, I was not a customer. On reflection, it is possible that they volume purchase the upholstery, and uncovered is not an option.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Laura..

why dont you forget the awning and put one on that you will like. Joy A put one on hers and I have put a new carefree freedom 3 on my 5er.. It can be done. I had a RV place do mine... ( using the same brackets as what was on there) I think Joy did hers herself.

dont order what ya dont want.

I dont see why they wouldnt send you one with no material on the cushions. I believe when you replace they do have that options available. Or like Donna said you can always sell the covers or re upolster them the way you want.

I have to agree with donna.... scamp isnt there to "personalize" your order, except for appliances, furances etc. thats up to youl.

Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
I would take the cushions covered and use the covers as patterns for those current-century ones you want.

The awning on my 2004 was okay, in a "manual" sort of way. The problem is the roof is curved, requiring custom brackets. Find Joy A.'s discussion on her crank-out awning and see if that is something you want to do. I wouldn't want to on a new trailer, but its doable with some brackets and rivets and lots o' silicone!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Find Joy A.'s discussion on her crank-out awning and see if that is something you want to do. I wouldn't want to on a new trailer, but its doable with some brackets and rivets and lots o' silicone!
NO, NO, NO SILICONE!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #15

Yes, yes, yes Butyl?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Unusual cushion fabric? How about Compact's?

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=70829561

I doubt that Scamp has an on-site shop that sews their cushions. I know that Casita has a contract with a local upholstery shop that makes theirs. If that is the case with Scamp, and you can find the company's name, you may be able to swap the factory original cushions for a custom set.

I do agree with you about the limited fabric selection by most trailer manufacturers. Most are ugly. <_<

Tom Trostel
Old 02-01-2008, 01:48 AM   #17

Patrick, I was confused about "I wouldn't want to do it on a new trailer" You mean put an awning on. Why not the factory does and I did. It's no big deal. Even with an old trailer you'd have to drill the holes, so what's the difference. Donna D. even put one on her 16 footer.

Laura, if you are interested in an awning that is very easy to use PM me. The factory awning can be difficult and certainly hard to use if you are not very tall, which I'm not. The last thing I'd want to do is try to pull a difficult awning out while standing on a step stool. I'm sure the awning and I would end up tangled on the ground. I ordered my Scamp without an awning. I put the awning on my Scamp that Casita puts on their trailers.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 02-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #18

Joy, I'm sure with your good advice anyone could put an awning on their new or used trailer, even a dufus like me!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Joy, I'm sure with your good advice anyone could put an awning on their new or used trailer, even a dufus like me!
Hi: Patrick... I know for a fact that you don't have exclusive rights to the title "Dufus". If anyone can do a job backwards... I can and She usually tells me I DID!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #20

And the "She" is not me.
2019 Ram Longhorn