New Table for Scamp...UGH - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hello...
I'm starting my rebuild of a 13ft Scamp that came to me stripped of everything. I ordered a table and hardware replacement from Scamp and got it together with the trailer yesterday.

As the first pic shows, the table doesn't fit in two places. The two metal teeth that are supposed to conjoin with the back wall of the trailer were not mounted far enough apart, so the table doesn't attach against the wall. Because the teeth mounted on the table are not adjustable (they are a part of swing arm that hook underneath the table) I'm not sure how it's possible that the slots that are mounted on the rear of the trailer could be off, unless Scamp has changed their table configuration, and sent me the wrong table.

My second issue as demonstrated by the second pic is that the seats on the trailer are not exactly parallel with each other, meaning that for a tabletop to fit into the slots in the seats (in a bed configuration) the table would have to be almost exactly 1 inch wider at the end away from the wall than it is against it. Therefore this table will not support any weight, and will not work in bed mode. I looked closely at the seats to see if there was a way to adjust or align them to make them parallel, but they seem immobile. It would seem to me that the only solution would be to make my own tabletop that isn't exactly square, but would work when it drops down into sleep mode.

Oh, wise members of the been there and done that gaggle, do any of you have experience with this or have any other suggestions?

Also, I'm curious about the hexagon shape of the table. Is that how all 13 ft Scamp table tops come? Doesn't seem very comfortable for sleeping...

Thanks for any advice you can offer...

Doug

Attached Thumbnails
scamptable1.jpg   scamptable2.jpg  

dsteinhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
In the lower position, it looks like perhaps your trailer sidewalls may have bellied out a bit. What about adding some 1x2 or a strip of plywood to the bench sides to support the table?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0006_1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	12359

Scamp, Boler and a lot of others use this type of table to let you get to the seat easier. We keep the bed made so I made a filler piece to fill the gap. The two pieces are connected with a piano type hinge so that it will fold if I want to take it out and set up the table.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The table shape is what my 2006 looks like. I cut a couple pieces of 1/4 plywood to fit over the gap left by the cut off corners of the table. They're not perfect but they work. They store on top of the hatch covers when not set up as a bed.

If were me in the situation of the non-parallel situation, I'd get some 5/8" plywood and make a table to fit. Then transfer all the hardware and position it to work properly.

I'm in the process of replacing all the cabinet doors with solid maple doors. Once those are done I plan on redesigning the table and replacing it. I want the table a bit shorter, easier to get in and out of the dinette. Then I'll build a piece to fit off the end when made as a bed. I think I can do that with the extra piece stored against the back wall under the table. It will take a bit of engineering and drawings to make it all work.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #5

http://www.geocities.com/bolerama/bedextension.html
Here's the page from the bolerama site where I got the idea for mine. Hope it helps.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

YUP--- that's what my Scamp was like when we got it.... I think it is called "Middle Aged Spread". Just went and measured mine-- it's about an inch wider, too. Here's what I did to remedy the problem. Also gives Carrie more hiproom-- which means I have more room also...
When we got the trailer the nice old man that sold it to us said "Here's a fishing pole holder" (see picture) It was someone's quick remedy for the table top falling thru.. (we deduced the true use the first time we went out... ) Now, since we always leave the bed made up, we use the piece of plywood. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Oct_5_8_2007_005.jpg   Oct_5_8_2007_002.jpg  

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
As to the non-parallel, the benches are screwed to the walls and floors. You could unscrew them, make a tapered shim for one side or the other, drill holes through the shims, get slightly longer screws and be parallel again. Check to see how well the benches fit to the closet and kitchen unit; that might tell you which side is better to shim.

And then move one of the rear hangers (I believe they screw into a piece of plywood behind the elephant hide).

Or take Byrons advice and just custom-cut a new board.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
When I made our new table I tapered it towards the rear and we turn it around when we lower it. Fits great and we don't notice any problems with the cutouts being positioned at the back wall. Got rid of all the Scamp hardware and went with the aluminum stanchions which matched our cherry and chrome new cabinet doors and hardware.

Name:	Table.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	12383

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
now thats one SWEET looking set up!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
[quote]When I made our new table I tapered it towards the rear and we turn it around when we lower it. Fits great and we don't notice any problems with the cutouts being positioned at the back wall. Got rid of all the Scamp hardware and went with the aluminum stanchions which matched our cherry and chrome new cabinet doors and hardware.

Attachment 12383

Bravo Greg, that looks super. Now, if you want to step up and notch (lol) and try you hand at a Burro . . . . . .
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Bravo Greg, that looks super. Now, if you want to step up and notch (lol) and try you hand at a Burro . . . . . .
cheers
Ian
Ian,
Very tempting. Your part of the world is one of my very favorite places. Might take me weeks to fashion the table....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 AM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Ian,
Very tempting. Your part of the world is one of my very favorite places. Might take me weeks to fashion the table....
You're welcome to stay with us while you work . . .
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #13

Trailer: 75 Boler
Here is an idea for you. I created (U) shaped seating. Under the the rear bench I have more storage. Then I put truck bed bike fork holders on the top of the new bench so I can hall my bikes inside.

Name:	99.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	12392
Attached Thumbnails
137.JPG   154.JPG  

Mike Montville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Here is an idea for you. I created (U) shaped seating. Under the the rear bench I have more storage. Then I put truck bed bike fork holders on the top of the new bench so I can hall my bikes inside.
Mike, we're thinking of converting our dinette into a "U" as well. What dimensions (seating depth) did you use for your back bench and for the table?

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 75 Boler
Quote:
Mike, we're thinking of converting our dinette into a "U" as well. What dimensions (seating depth) did you use for your back bench and for the table?

--Peter
Hi Peter

The table is 27" x 30 1/2" and the depth of the back bench is roughly 28" inchs. The nice thing about U shape seating is that back seat dept is variable depending on how big you want the seat to be, then you adjust the table accordingly.

Mike

Mike Montville is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp