New to the game, help a lass out. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 05:25 AM   #1

Name: Sylvia
Trailer: Looking for a home
Connecticut
New to the game, help a lass out.

I have my sights on a ct13 that's mostly been gutted and prepared for renovation. I'm new to the trailer game, like brand new. What are somethings you guys can tell me about the ct13 and if you had interior dimensions that would be amazing.
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We had a CT13 for several years. They can be a good little camper or endless problems. Almost everything on them is proprietary to them, Uhaul used parts unique to them and some are no longer available. Side windows typically leak, frames rust out, are a couple issues. There is a great Uhaul group (or at least it was before we left) on facebook that has a "Files" section with all kinds of info including a list of common problems. I heard there is a backlog of member approvals so it may take some time to join.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I believe they have a floor similar to Trilliums, plywood sandwiched between two layers of fiberglass. If water gets in there, the floor rots. Repair is a nightmare. If the floor feels soft, walk away.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #4

New York
Fiberglass on top of the floor, none on bottom. The bolts through the floor to the frame are notorious for rusting away where they pass through the floor wood, where you can't see them. With the double wall construction, water can run down between the walls and end up in the storage areas where you can't see it. I spent a lot of time trying to locate the source of leaks.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Define gutted. If the interior cabinetry is gone, forget it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #6

New York
For sure forget it if the cabinets are gone because Uhauls are double hulls. The interior is molded in two sections, left and right. Each section goes from floor to ceiling and provides support to the outer shell, which is pretty flimsy anyhow. I have seen where the interior fiberglass has been hacked up on these so you won't that. "Gutted" may just refer to all appliances removed, lights, battery, power converter, cushions, water system, swamp cooler, ice box. That's about it for the interior. We spent a lot of time on ours, but then got a great deal on a Casita so eventually sold the Uhaul. No regrets on that.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:48 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
I have my sights on a ct13 that's mostly been gutted and prepared for renovation. I'm new to the trailer game, like brand new. What are somethings you guys can tell me about the ct13 and if you had interior dimensions that would be amazing.
do you want a multiyear project, or do you want to go camping ? some people enjoy challenging projects more than the results.

me, I want to go camping, initially we bought a late model Casita 16 SD, then we upgraded to an Escape 21 that was nearly new and everything in perfect order, there's still enough tinkering and minor repairs to keep me busy, but we can hitch up and take off for a week on a moments notice.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #8

Connecticut
Thanks so much for the resources!
Old 09-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #9

Connecticut
Thanks for the tip mate
Old 09-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #10

Connecticut
Interior cabinets are still there. Counter top is there, no sink no stove (ideal for me anyway, there were to be replaced), closet is there, funky floor cubbies are present
Old 09-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #11

Connecticut
She's gonna be a tiny home for a while
Old 09-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #12

Mid Left Coast
what about plumbing, water and holding tanks, electrics (power converter/charger, DC and AC wiring) ? I dunno what those U-hauls came with...
Old 09-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
what about plumbing, water and holding tanks, electrics (power converter/charger, DC and AC wiring) ? I dunno what those U-hauls came with...
Outdated technology power converter, one 110 outlet, small water tank with hand pump, no holding tanks, propane furnace, 2 burner propane cooktop, no toilet, icebox, not a fridge, but we did install a dorm fridge in ours. We managed to snowbird in ours for 3 months but only because we had a 12 X 12 screen tent.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:32 PM   #14

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Outdated technology power converter, one 110 outlet, small water tank with hand pump, no holding tanks, propane furnace, 2 burner propane cooktop, no toilet, icebox, not a fridge, but we did install a dorm fridge in ours. We managed to snowbird in ours for 3 months but only because we had a 12 X 12 screen tent.
sounds equipped about like our old Starcraft tent trailer was, although it had a propane fridge and an electric water pump, but no water heater, and no holding tanks (garden hose stub outside into 5 gallon pail was our usual solution for sink rinse water)
Old 09-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #15

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
sounds equipped about like our old Starcraft tent trailer was, although it had a propane fridge and an electric water pump, but no water heater, and no holding tanks (garden hose stub outside into 5 gallon pail was our usual solution for sink rinse water)
Our old Starcraft pop-up was a '73. No heater, icebox, hand pump for the water, bucket for the sink drain. But we used that trailer for almost 40 years, new canvas once, and now our son has it.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #16

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Our old Starcraft pop-up was a '73. No heater, icebox, hand pump for the water, bucket for the sink drain. But we used that trailer for almost 40 years, new canvas once, and now our son has it.
that sounds like our old VW Van conversion, was a 71 "Breadbox" bus that had been converted to a camper in the late 70s. ice box fridge, 2 burner stove on a tiny propane tank, no heater. sink fed by 5gallon(?) water tank that was air pressurized (use a bicycle pump to put about 10-15 PSI in it, and top of the pressure every so often).
Old 09-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #17

Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Try to find a used Casita, Scamp, Bigfoot or Escape (these names are ALL fiberglass "eggs"). Oliver is another "egg" BUT, at a price way above the others mentioned (they ARE great trailers though and, Oliver is famous for their high level of Customer Service). Lots of different lengths to choose from starting at ~ 13'. If your current vehicle is NOT suitable for towing, be sure to BUY THE TRAILER FIRST! That way, you'll know EXACTLY how much vehicle you will actually need. If you plan to use your current vehicle, BE SURE that you understand "the numbers" that you will have to live with. Although somewhat arcane, it's VERY IMPORTANT that you get the numbers right. The life and trailer you save will likely be your own. If you're a "newbie" RVer, find and attend an RV Boot Camp. In as little as a weekend, you'll get the education you need to be a smarter RV buyer and a safer RVer in general. The Escapees RV Club, FMCA, RVSEF and RV~Dreams quickly come to mind as groups that offer this valuable educational product. Just do it! You can thank me later.
Regards,
John
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #18

Mid Left Coast
pricing wise, its (cheapest to most expensive), (scamp, casita) < escape < bigfoot < oliver

the bigfoots I've seen tend to be larger heavier trailers, and are 8 foot wide, so you definitely want a substantial tow vehicle.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #19

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1986 Play-Mor II & Scamp 13' Build date April 2019
Connecticut
I’m in CT also and just did a frame off restoration of a play mor II. Was a lot of work but was rewarding.
Not sure where you are but I can help anyway I can.
CSiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #20

Name: Krista
Trailer: 2 CT13s
Utah
I have two CT13s. They aren't junk, or overpriced, or flimsy, they're awesome and I love them. My advice is to simply decide what you want to replace and do so. You don't need to outfit it with exact replicas of faucets, cushions and so forth, unless that's super important to you. One of mine is nearly 100% original and just needs the windows resealed, and the other is missing the heater, cooler, and solar panel, as well as the table, but has an amazingly comfortable bed, new counter top, new windows, new laminate flooring, new wiring and LEDs and has had the frame rebuilt. Im keeping the one that is missing things, and selling the one that has everything. I can add an a/c and the other things going forward. Disparaging comments shoukd not ruin your joy of ownership. Happy camping!
Krista Ess is offline   Reply With Quote