New Tow vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
New Tow vehicle

Our 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee lost 4 low in the transfer box ice fishing this past winter. The Jeep has 220,000 miles, a 318 ci with tow package, it has been a great hauler of our 2000 16 ft. Scamp. With those miles all our trips have had a bit of anxiety. Yesterday we made the big move, 'big sale', purchased a 2012 Grand Cherokee, 5.7 liter, with tow package (thanks folks), I mean getting the tow package, I hope your happy! I want to have the 7 blade and brake control taken off the old girl and put on the new girl. Has anyone had any experience with this? Better to buy new one? Any things I should watch for? I am planning to have my local mechanic do the switch. My 64 year old type 1 diabetic body does not like my squirming around under the dash these days.
It has been nice scheduling our trips this year not having to worry about distance or summer heat! Appreciate this group.
John
Old 02-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #2

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Check and make sure the new one takes the same plug in the fuse panel. I recently traded and forgot to take harness out and bought a new one for a Prodigy controller from Southwest Wheel in Dallas for $15 with free shipping and it had the correct plug on each end instead of having to splice the controller plug.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The 2012 has the tow package but no 7 pin plug?? When I bought my 2012 Ram used it had the tow package and a factory installed 7 pin and 4 pin plugs. The Dodge dealer salesman said they would install a brake controller and it was a simple plug in installation, which it turned out not to be. They did install a brake controller though. The salesman pitch was that the Ram pickup got better mileage than the comparable Jeep, but that was irrelevant to me as I wanted a pickup, this one had very low mileage, and it was the only decent used truck I could find. I like the 5.7 Hemi but mileage towing is only about 12 or 13.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #4

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
New TOW Vehicle

If your 2012 Jeep has the TOW package the only thing you need installed is the brake controller. Everything else should be there unless someone removed it.

You may need to take the vehicle to a Jeep dealer to have the trailer elctrical package turned on.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:48 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
Our 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee lost 4 low in the transfer box ice fishing this past winter. The Jeep has 220,000 miles, a 318 ci with tow package, it has been a great hauler of our 2000 16 ft. Scamp. With those miles all our trips have had a bit of anxiety. Yesterday we made the big move, 'big sale', purchased a 2012 Grand Cherokee, 5.7 liter, with tow package (thanks folks), I mean getting the tow package, I hope your happy! I want to have the 7 blade and brake control taken off the old girl and put on the new girl. Has anyone had any experience with this? Better to buy new one? Any things I should watch for? I am planning to have my local mechanic do the switch. My 64 year old type 1 diabetic body does not like my squirming around under the dash these days.
It has been nice scheduling our trips this year not having to worry about distance or summer heat! Appreciate this group.
John
Old one may not be compatible with new vehicle we were told. When we got a new vehicle we just decided it would be as cheap to let the old one go and get new. After all they charge labor to remove the old one unless dealer would be nice enough to do it free.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
As always

Sure appreciate all your time in responding. I think I will leave the controller and the plug on the old tow vehicle. Is there a favorite brake controller with members?
Thanks again!
John