New Trailer starter kit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #21

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I have a couple of those in the truck for when I have to crawl farther forward in the back area. Even though it has a carpet down (and I have a couple of retriever poles), it still kills the knees.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I use for hooking up/dumping sewer and the hitch. Bending over isn't the greatest for me.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like the hook. I use the crooked handle of a ladle to reach one of my window shades in my house. Can't underestimate the need for a good hook!!!!
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #22

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Make your Huge List of EVERYTHING YOU THINK you might need to go camping and eliminate 90+% of all that CRAP you thought you might NEED and you might just be be close to your REAL NEEDS when camping.

Don't believe me?

Just look around your current home for inspiration and look at all the CRAP you thought you needed that you NOW never use and NEVER used when you thought you needed it!

The same situation applies even more so when you go camping!!!

Enjoy the Adventure we call camping!
Ha, ha, ha! I've been downsizing for a couple of years now and feel I'm already at the 15-20% range in my home. My thoughts....I'll go out in the trailer with the basics and, as others have suggested, buy stuff along the way. I like being a "minimalist"!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Diane, congratulations on the purchase of your Lil Snoozy. Remember to bring along a tire iron (I have a foldable 4 way style) and make sure that you tighten your new trailer lug nuts at the first 50 miles, 100 miles and 150 miles. I was amazed that they did require tightening each time (although less each time) and never needed tightening after that.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:22 AM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Get the basics first and worry about the rest once you start camping. Get a simple coffee pot (a percolator works great because you can cook in it as well as make tea or coffee), frying pan, tableware, cooking knife, coffee cup, plastic cutting board, flashlight, bedding, towels and a door mat. After you pick it up and are on the way to your first nights stop, hit the grocery store for some basic food supplies, plastic cups, paper towels, plastic wrap, a case of drinking water and toiletries as needed. Get some fun things at the store too, to celebrate your new adventure, like a bottle of wine and a couple of silly plastic wine glasses.

You could also bring along a couple folding chairs to sit outside and a couple of short 2x6 boards for leveling.

Forget all the proper mechanical stuff and just enjoy your first night out as you begin to make a list. The list will develop as you find you want something.

Eventually you'll want fresh water hoses, regulator, adapter plugs, 12 gauge extension cord, bucket, basic hand tools, WD40, tape, Windex, waste basket, broom, hangars, interior throw rug, etc. But get started first. BTW, most or all of these things can be found at Walmart.

Not for everyone, but I also bring along a lot of electrical and hand tools. I even have a tire repair kit and compressor and have used them on the road. A set of good jumper cables works well to charge the trailer battery from the tow while camping without hookups. But stuff like this should not be worried about on your first couple of nights after picking up the trailer. If you get too wrapped up on what you "should" have, you'll not have much fun.

On the second night, you might want to charge your phone and/or laptop, so a 100 watt cigarette lighter inverter (Walmart), will do the trick, if you don't want to plug them into the tow.

The best thing is to relax and develop your own list based on your needs. It's your own little private cabin to set up any way you wish.

Many years ago I moved onto a boat I had decided to finish out from a bare hull and deck. The best way was to move in and see what I needed. So, I came aboard with the dog, a drop light, sleeping bag and an ice chest. And the adventure began. Eventually, I sailed that boat to Mexico and back with everything I needed and little that I didn't. But I always had a few whimsical things along for fun.

Do it your way and don't worry about other people's lists. You know what you need for the first night and breakfast the next morning. The rest will begin to fall in place based on what is missing, or what would be fun to have.

Have fun on your new adventure!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:43 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Eventually you'll want fresh water hoses, regulator, adapter plugs, 12 gauge extension cord, bucket,

My first night camping in my new Escape, my neighbour noticed that I did not have a water regulator. He pointed out to me that the water pressure at the camp ground was extremely high and that I could blow out water lines in my trailer.
I would pay attention to the lists and the advice given earlier. Waking up to a flooded trailer on your first night would not be a joyful experience.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:16 AM   #26

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My first night camping in my new Escape, my neighbour noticed that I did not have a water regulator. He pointed out to me that the water pressure at the camp ground was extremely high and that I could blow out water lines in my trailer.
I would pay attention to the lists and the advice given earlier. Waking up to a flooded trailer on your first night would not be a joyful experience.
What makes you think they will be hooking up to a strange faucet on the first night? While it's true that water pressure can be too high, here and there, it's not likely.

Besides, if the pressure is too high, the water heater pressure relief will leak first and give a warning, before any line breaks. But it wouldn't hurt to pick up a regulator at Walmart while getting basic supplies.

They could also get hit by lightening, so maybe they should install a lightening rod. Hey, it could happen!

I thought we were talking about the initial stuff needed for starting out, not every conceivable thing based on the worst case.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:41 AM   #27

I gave you an example of what can happen if you're not prepared. I'm not in favour of giving bad advice.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #28

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Diane, congratulations on the purchase of your Lil Snoozy. Remember to bring along a tire iron (I have a foldable 4 way style) and make sure that you tighten your new trailer lug nuts at the first 50 miles, 100 miles and 150 miles. I was amazed that they did require tightening each time (although less each time) and never needed tightening after that.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
Wow! Good one. Thanks
Old 02-11-2019, 06:48 AM   #29

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I bought the regulator...cheap, small and can't hurt, right?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #30

Delaware
Quote:
Get the basics first and worry about the rest once you start camping. Get a simple coffee pot (a percolator works great because you can cook in it as well as make tea or coffee), frying pan, tableware, cooking knife, coffee cup, plastic cutting board, flashlight, bedding, towels and a door mat. After you pick it up and are on the way to your first nights stop, hit the grocery store for some basic food supplies, plastic cups, paper towels, plastic wrap, a case of drinking water and toiletries as needed. Get some fun things at the store too, to celebrate your new adventure, like a bottle of wine and a couple of silly plastic wine glasses.

You could also bring along a couple folding chairs to sit outside and a couple of short 2x6 boards for leveling.

Forget all the proper mechanical stuff and just enjoy your first night out as you begin to make a list. The list will develop as you find you want something.

Eventually you'll want fresh water hoses, regulator, adapter plugs, 12 gauge extension cord, bucket, basic hand tools, WD40, tape, Windex, waste basket, broom, hangars, interior throw rug, etc. But get started first. BTW, most or all of these things can be found at Walmart.

Not for everyone, but I also bring along a lot of electrical and hand tools. I even have a tire repair kit and compressor and have used them on the road. A set of good jumper cables works well to charge the trailer battery from the tow while camping without hookups. But stuff like this should not be worried about on your first couple of nights after picking up the trailer. If you get too wrapped up on what you "should" have, you'll not have much fun.

On the second night, you might want to charge your phone and/or laptop, so a 100 watt cigarette lighter inverter (Walmart), will do the trick, if you don't want to plug them into the tow.

The best thing is to relax and develop your own list based on your needs. It's your own little private cabin to set up any way you wish.

Many years ago I moved onto a boat I had decided to finish out from a bare hull and deck. The best way was to move in and see what I needed. So, I came aboard with the dog, a drop light, sleeping bag and an ice chest. And the adventure began. Eventually, I sailed that boat to Mexico and back with everything I needed and little that I didn't. But I always had a few whimsical things along for fun.

Do it your way and don't worry about other people's lists. You know what you need for the first night and breakfast the next morning. The rest will begin to fall in place based on what is missing, or what would be fun to have.

Have fun on your new adventure!

Windex and wine...my two favorite things! This is a good list. My friends bought a new tt last year and I bought them some of the things on your list. However, don't forget the DUCT TAPE!!!!! I've tent camped before and can travel with the basics but now the decorative stuff is more important. I'm already settled on the decor. Gonna be pretty!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #31

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
I started a list a few months ago when we started looking and I've given it a few updates as I've come across suggestions. This thread has some good new suggestions already.

I think your comfort and convenience needs will vary based on your travel intentions; I've left our "quality of life" items off for that reason. We plan to have everything we want to camp with stowed permanently in the trailer; that way there's no loading/unloading or forgetting. Blankets, pillows, cookware, hygiene items...My hope is that we can just stuff some clothes in a bag and swing by the grocery store on our way out of town.

I divided my list into categories. Things marked (TV) I plan to purchase or already have and will store on a permanent basis in the tow vehicle.

Roadside Repair Kit
  • Bottle jack (TV)
  • Reflective emergency triangles (TV)
  • Reflective vest (TV)
  • Tire iron (if different that TV's)

Maintenance Kit
  • Tire pressure gauge (TV)
  • Portable air compressor (TV)
  • Toolbox (not sure of trailer-specific tools yet)

Safety Items
  • First aid kit (TV)
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Wheel chocks
  • Weight distribution plates for leveling jacks
  • 3-M reflective tape for bumper

Security Items (we can't store on our property, so it will be in a storage lot)
  • Hitch lock
  • Solar lights
  • Wheel boot
Yup! Forgot about the emergency kits. I'm not very mechanical so road service will have to do.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #32

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
What makes you think they will be hooking up to a strange faucet on the first night? While it's true that water pressure can be too high, here and there, it's not likely.

Besides, if the pressure is too high, the water heater pressure relief will leak first and give a warning, before any line breaks. But it wouldn't hurt to pick up a regulator at Walmart while getting basic supplies.

They could also get hit by lightening, so maybe they should install a lightening rod. Hey, it could happen!

I thought we were talking about the initial stuff needed for starting out, not every conceivable thing based on the worst case.
The water heater pressure release valve will open at 150 psi or 210 temperature. I do not think you rv water system can handle 150 psi, let alone 80 psi. Most rv water regulators are set for 45 psi and anything over 60 is considered high. So relying upon you water heater release valve is a poor substitute for a $10 part. In addition, install the regulator at the source of water, so it protects your hose as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #33

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The water heater pressure release valve will open at 150 psi or 210 temperature. I do not think you rv water system can handle 150 psi, let alone 80 psi. Most rv water regulators are set for 45 psi and anything over 60 is considered high. So relying upon you water heater release valve is a poor substitute for a $10 part. In addition, install the regulator at the source of water, so it protects your hose as well.
In the past, some Lil Snoozy folks had problems with leaking hose in the cassette toilet. I believe this was fixed but rather be safe 'cause who knows what will happen to freak me out while I'm trying to sleep. Like I said previously, cheap safety.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #34

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Bernese,

Great to hear your excitement and congrats on selecting a Lil Snoozy. I would definitely keep your buy list small until you have camped in it a bit and get a sense of your needs.

A few comments related to some of the suggestions that might be okay for other trailers, but not a Snoozy.

On the hitch lock recommendation, the Snoozy comes with a pin that keeps the hitch ball-clamp lever down when it is secured on the ball. It is not like every other trailer I have owned and it would take a special padlock to fit. I wouldn't bother. I also wouldn't bother with the cheap hitch anti-theft locks. They are very easy to defeat (I have done it). I use a Proven Industries one which is pretty secure.

Someone recommended a small inverter to plug into the 12V power outlet (cigarette lighter style). Our Snoozy didn't come with such a power outlet, only a single 1 amp USB port. I installed both a 12V power outlet and a quad 2-amp USB outlet to fix this problem. While you are plugged into shore power on your maiden voyage, you can use any house wall-outlet charger that you already have.

Another recommendation was for boards to put under the leveling jacks. The Snoozy doesn't come with built-in leveling jacks and the supplied portable ones have broad bases that work fine without boards.

The new Snoozies built right after ours supposedly have the new cassette toilet design that eliminates the weak "blue hose" that could burst, as you already mentioned. We have the "blue hose" and a regulator and no problems so far. But I would still get the pressure regulator and use it for your first trip. I wouldn't bother with a filter unless you plan to drink the water from the fresh water tank.

I have several anti-rattle hitch devices for my other trailers but never needed them for the Snoozy. Tongue weight is enough to keep it pretty quiet.

The Snoozy shower head is truly awful. If you experience the same after you try it, a lot of RVers upgrade to the ETL 26781 Oxygenics Hand Held Sprayer Kit. Even it still flows when turned off at the head, so add a KES Shower Head Shut-Off Valve Brass with Metal Handle Polished Chrome, K1140B3.

You will need a shower curtain if you plan to use the shower on your first trip.

Definitely get the 30A to 15A plug adapter and a 20ish foot 12 gauge extension cord. It is a pain to pull out the 8 gauge power cord if you aren't running a lot of AC power.

Good luck and I hope you survive the wait. When is you target delivery date?
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #35

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula

I check my lug nuts before I head out, whether it's from home or a campground. A friend's husband works at Camping World and when I got the trailer he asked if I was checking them frequently. He said they get in a lot of trailers where the owners never checked theirs and tires would fall off. so, I guess I've gotten kind of fanatical over checking them. It only takes a few minutes with the torque wrench. And it's something to do while the tanks are dumping.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #36

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Doug View Post
Bernese,

Great to hear your excitement and congrats on selecting a Lil Snoozy. I would definitely keep your buy list small until you have camped in it a bit and get a sense of your needs.

A few comments related to some of the suggestions that might be okay for other trailers, but not a Snoozy.

On the hitch lock recommendation, the Snoozy comes with a pin that keeps the hitch ball-clamp lever down when it is secured on the ball. It is not like every other trailer I have owned and it would take a special padlock to fit. I wouldn't bother. I also wouldn't bother with the cheap hitch anti-theft locks. They are very easy to defeat (I have done it). I use a Proven Industries one which is pretty secure.

Someone recommended a small inverter to plug into the 12V power outlet (cigarette lighter style). Our Snoozy didn't come with such a power outlet, only a single 1 amp USB port. I installed both a 12V power outlet and a quad 2-amp USB outlet to fix this problem. While you are plugged into shore power on your maiden voyage, you can use any house wall-outlet charger that you already have.

Another recommendation was for boards to put under the leveling jacks. The Snoozy doesn't come with built-in leveling jacks and the supplied portable ones have broad bases that work fine without boards.

The new Snoozies built right after ours supposedly have the new cassette toilet design that eliminates the weak "blue hose" that could burst, as you already mentioned. We have the "blue hose" and a regulator and no problems so far. But I would still get the pressure regulator and use it for your first trip. I wouldn't bother with a filter unless you plan to drink the water from the fresh water tank.

I have several anti-rattle hitch devices for my other trailers but never needed them for the Snoozy. Tongue weight is enough to keep it pretty quiet.

The Snoozy shower head is truly awful. If you experience the same after you try it, a lot of RVers upgrade to the ETL 26781 Oxygenics Hand Held Sprayer Kit. Even it still flows when turned off at the head, so add a KES Shower Head Shut-Off Valve Brass with Metal Handle Polished Chrome, K1140B3.

You will need a shower curtain if you plan to use the shower on your first trip.

Definitely get the 30A to 15A plug adapter and a 20ish foot 12 gauge extension cord. It is a pain to pull out the 8 gauge power cord if you aren't running a lot of AC power.

Good luck and I hope you survive the wait. When is you target delivery date?
Wow...thanks. Necessary and detailed for LS...love it! I ordered in Sept. Should be a year but we shall see!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #37

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim,

This is incorrect and Im afraid you misunderstood my point. While I agree that too much pressure is a bad idea, most trailers do not have accumulators and when the water heater is turned on, the system pressure goes up to the pop point of the pressure relief valve from the expansion. There has been a lot of discussion about pressure reliefs leaking, and that is why they do. They leak when the pressure is a their pop point of 150 PSI or so.

Second, I would never "rely" on the pressure relief valve to control normal water pressure. Never. And that is not what I was saying. It is an emergency relief and that is all. An indicator of some problem. If there is an emergency, it will activate and alert the owner that something is going on. That's it. And in doing so, it will prevent damage or an explosion.

My pressure regulator is set at 30 and that's how I like it, but PEX and it's fittings are rated to hold 100 PSI at 180 degrees and about 160 PSI at 74 degrees. Kitchen and bath faucets can handle more than that. And the water heater is rated to hold a safe margin above the pressure relief point. While park pressures can vary, and be higher than we want, I'd say is inaccurate to assume all of them have dangerous pressures just waiting to blow out our systems. The whole point was for the OP to get the basic stuff for the first night out. I have no idea if that will even include hooking up, or if her trailer will come with a regulator from the factory. But certainly, one will be required once the dust settles. And I did mention getting one in my suggestion post.

None of that means I think it should be run at high pressure, but it will if required. And the fact that we don't hear about exploding water lines all over the place tends to support that, given that so many reliefs are leaking. Which means they are getting to full pressure.

All of this is why I keep advocating for accumulators in the water systems. These reduce the pressure spikes caused by water heaters and they make the water delivery smoother. People worry about regulated pressure, but never think of heat caused expansion pressure.

Do your own test sometime by putting a pressure gauge on the system and then turning on the water heater. I did and it was surprising. After adding the accumulator mine stabilized at about 60 PSI from a starting point of about 30PSI. Before adding it, my pressure was climbing from 30 to the relief point and I was getting dripping from the relief.

Another interesting point is that regulators act as check valves. This means no water can go back into the water system once it passes the regulator on it's way to the trailer. So if the trailer pressure builds up past the city water pressure it has no place to go. But without a regulator, the pressure is unlikely to build past city pressure because it can back up into the city system. That is unless there is a regulator on the city system close to the trailer supply faucet, or another trailer connected near by. In other words, the regulator itself can cause excessive pressure, if the water heater gets turned on, by shutting off the only escape for excessive pressure besides the relief valve. This can be fixed by installing a pressure relief on a tee just past the regulator and before the hose to the trailer. This one would be set at 45 to 60 PSI and would drip safely outside on the ground as needed, at a much lower pressure than the water heater relief. These reliefs are designed for boiler systems and not domestic water heaters.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #38

Just wondering how often a newbie, who doesn't know they should have a water pressure regulator, would know to look at the water heater pressure relief valve and then know what it means when it drips.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #39

Smith Valley, Nevada
Glenn,

I think it's most commonly not noticed, or if noticed, interpreted as a faulty valve. The worst case would be if someone screwed in a plug to "fix" it. Yikes.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #40

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
One of you, I think John (Raspy) mentioned Windex. Yes, Windex is important, not so much for cleaning windows, but to treat insect bites! It works like a charm. No, I am not Greek.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote