New Trailer starter kit - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #41

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
One of you, I think John (Raspy) mentioned Windex. Yes, Windex is important, not so much for cleaning windows, but to treat insect bites! It works like a charm. No, I am not Greek.
I love Windex. I'll have to try that!

I use it all the time for washing my hands and keep a spray bottle in the back of the truck just for that purpose. It's also in the trailer, the Jeep and several bottles in the garage.

Can you wash windows with it too?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:53 AM   #42

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
I've ordered my new Lil Snoozy and am waiting, waiting and waiting! While I wait, I've been shopping, shopping, shopping. I've been searching this site trying to find a posting with a recommendation for a starter kit that lists all the items I will need when I pick up. Any suggestions?
I suspect you already have everything you could possibly need and a lot more besides that

Its a new trailer, not a fixer. I brought home a major fixer on a 300 mile trip and other than a couple of tools for adjusting the hitch I needed nothing in the way of repair gear.

You are nesting...getting ready for a new baby, it is an instinct and you want to be prepared and you will be but you will also buy a ton of stuff you don't need. Just remind yourself what you are experiencing when you catch yourself at it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:43 AM   #43

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
For my trip to bring my derelict junker home on a 300 mile one way trip I took along my friend who brought his nifty set of tools all arranged in a tool case. Other than bringing along my sleeping bag, pillow, dog food and leash and some money for grub that was sufficient. I had towing insurance coverage.

My friend did not like the way the hitch safety chains were set up and the way the ball was latching so he stopped at a hardware store got new chains and took care of that stuff in the parking lot.

You are bringing home a brand new trailer and can get by with that same list that I used

Waiting months and months, now that will get you into all kinds of trouble with list.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #44

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I check my lug nuts before I head out, whether it's from home or a campground. A friend's husband works at Camping World and when I got the trailer he asked if I was checking them frequently. He said they get in a lot of trailers where the owners never checked theirs and tires would fall off. so, I guess I've gotten kind of fanatical over checking them. It only takes a few minutes with the torque wrench. And it's something to do while the tanks are dumping.
I agree. Safety checklist in the works.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #45

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I suspect you already have everything you could possibly need and a lot more besides that

Its a new trailer, not a fixer. I brought home a major fixer on a 300 mile trip and other than a couple of tools for adjusting the hitch I needed nothing in the way of repair gear.

You are nesting...getting ready for a new baby, it is an instinct and you want to be prepared and you will be but you will also buy a ton of stuff you don't need. Just remind yourself what you are experiencing when you catch yourself at it.
You're right. I will extract what I think I need from all of these posts. I have so much camping gear from tenting so those necessities are covered. Just looking forward to a warm bed rather than a tent floor and sleeping bag!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #46

Delaware
Quote:
For my trip to bring my derelict junker home on a 300 mile one way trip I took along my friend who brought his nifty set of tools all arranged in a tool case. Other than bringing along my sleeping bag, pillow, dog food and leash and some money for grub that was sufficient. I had towing insurance coverage.

My friend did not like the way the hitch safety chains were set up and the way the ball was latching so he stopped at a hardware store got new chains and took care of that stuff in the parking lot.

You are bringing home a brand new trailer and can get by with that same list that I used

Waiting months and months, now that will get you into all kinds of trouble with list.
Agree! Waiting is awful. I've shopped for decorative items, returned them, bought more, returned them. I love shopping!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #47

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:

Very well said.

It's time to settle down and enjoy the moment. An overnight in your brand new trailer. What could be more fun? Enjoy it.

Just don't forget the Windex.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #48

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Other than bringing along my sleeping bag, pillow, dog food and leash and some money for grub that was sufficient.
I like this list, but it's a bit confusing. You brought dog food, but no dog? Dog food and money for grub?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #49

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New Trailer starter kit

If all you want to do is pull a trailer home, then not much is needed.

But with a brand new, fully equipped trailer, i think it’s worth bringing along enough stuff to set up and try out all of the systems. Glitches are possible, and finding out while you’re near the factory is good.

Personally I would plan a couple of nights near the factory as a shakedown, which means you need hoses, cords, etc. to hook up, connect to water, use the bathroom, cook a meal...

Some of the other things in the various lists are needed to do required break-in maintenance on the trip home.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #50

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If all you want to do is pull a trailer home, then not much is needed.

But with a brand new, fully equipped trailer, i think it’s worth bringing along enough stuff to set up and try out all of the systems. Glitches are possible, and finding out while you’re near the factory is good.

Personally I would plan a couple of nights near the factory as a shakedown, which means you need hoses, cords, etc. to hook up, connect to water, use the bathroom, cook a meal...

Some of the other things in the various lists are needed to do required break-in maintenance on the trip home.
This is a good point you make. After I pick up, I'll stay in the area for my shakedown and visit friends. Then heading for Florida to meet up with more friends who are snowbirds! It will be a long shakedown but happy to get on the road!
Old 02-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #51

Name: Roger
Trailer: HiPoint Toy Hauler
California
Talking What to take?

Don't forget to save room for yourself!
As a full-timer for years I know you can easily overload on what you "think" you need and what you "really" need. Do your best to buy multi-use products and tools. Take into consideration where you will be spending your time the most and plan for that area. (Mountains,Desert,Coast etc.) Downsize "everything". Limit the number of "things" 2 large coffee cups instead of 6 etc.(storage space becomes a premium very quickly) Avoid clutter or you'll end up in a pocket surrounded by "stuff". It's a new home but there isn't room for that sofa! haha
Oh you are going to have a ball sorting this out, we all have!
Good luck and Happy Camping!
Roger M. Sonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #52

Name: Julie
Trailer: Casita
WA
I was so excited when I bought my first trailer that I totally overbought. I walked through Walmart and filled my basket, but I found out after camping a few times, I didn't use a lot of what I had bought. Now I have bags of things I don't need. I'd say go on all the trailer sites that interest you and read what the campers say about what they're using. Buy sparingly and camp a few times and see what you really need.
Julie Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #53

Name: Roger
Trailer: HiPoint Toy Hauler
California
lol, so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bean View Post
I was so excited when I bought my first trailer that I totally overbought. I walked through Walmart and filled my basket, but I found out after camping a few times, I didn't use a lot of what I had bought. Now I have bags of things I don't need. I'd say go on all the trailer sites that interest you and read what the campers say about what they're using. Buy sparingly and camp a few times and see what you really need.
After you've moved that HUGE body pillow around 50 times and can't see the forest through the monster pack of Costco TP, you learn about Camper's time and space management. hahaha
Roger M. Sonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #54

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Most comfort items you can pick up along the way. But emergency items you may not think of until you need them in the middle of nowhere. This is what I carry and hope to never need:

1. Extra cash. Credit cards are nice, but in an emergency, cash is nicer.
2. A lug wrench that won't slip off the nut when you need it (learned this the hard way)
3. A jack or some way to lift the trailer if you do need to change a tire.
4. A plastic sheet or ground cloth in case you need to change a tire in mud.
5. Warning flares or lights to warn other traffic
6. A safety cord to make certain the cable to your vehicle does not pop out and drag on the highway.
7. Extra fuses in the appropriate size.
8. Battery cables in case you forget to unplug the car and your fridge drains your vehicle battery. I also carry a battery-powered charger that will start my tow vehicle.
9. Several extra flashlights
10. Battery pack with USB outlet in case your cell phone battery dies.
11. Rainwear / Cold Weather gear stored where you can get to it easily.
12. 30 amp to 20 amp adapter
13. Bottled water.
14. Small took kit - hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, measuring tape, aluminum tape, duct tape, etc.

Other items that I know I will need:
15. Wet wipes & toilet paper
15. Small pail that can be tightly sealed for used toilet paper (don't want to put TP in the cassette or holding tank)
16. Empty laundry detergent container with a cap that will not leak. (for urine instead of filling the holding tank)
17. Small broom

If you intend to go off of the beaten track: a small single burner stove and tea kettle along with large cups, utensils and a supply of freeze dried emergency rations. GPS device. hand-held walkie-talkies.
Yvimij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Need to explain to me why if you allow poop in the black water holding tank, you cart your used TP around in a pail.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #56

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
Just a thought-- I always ALWAYS carried two (2) water pressure regulators in my rigs! On sadly more than one occasion, I left mine attached to the city water hookup, but I had that spare when arriving at the new park. We can get away without several things, but busting a water pipe is an expensive repair! Then at the new park, if they had some parts (remember they seem to close 15 minutes before you arrive??) you have one for the night. The next morning I would go right over to the camp store and by my next spare one!
As a mobile RV Tech, I also always carried several with my parts collection as I would invariably meet a new owner whose "RV walkthrough" did not seem to cover the need for the pressure regulator.
And finally, if someone tells you to just turn the city water on to a trickle (if you do not have the regulator), and it will be ok....no it won't!
RVing is still a lot of fun--enjoy!!
Bill rv tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:07 PM   #57

Poop is a natural organic compound. It decomposes differently from paper. I avoid using the toilet in my trailer except for "emergency" situations. When I do, I prefer to not stuff it with paper. A tightly sealed bucket works better for me and can be easily disposed of in a sanitary manner. Same with the laundry detergent bottle for urine - if find it more convenient and less of a hassle. In developed campsites, I prefer to use the campsite's facilities.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
TP is also organic. Made from trees.
Arsenic and mercury are organic.
Urine is a liquid, which is necessary for the poop and TP to break down. If you have problems with poop pyramids it's from not having enough liquid in the holding tank, sometimes caused when people leave their slinky open the the sewer, draining the fluid continuously.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:03 AM   #59

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill rv tech View Post
Just a thought-- I always ALWAYS carried two (2) water pressure regulators in my rigs! On sadly more than one occasion, I left mine attached to the city water hookup, but I had that spare when arriving at the new park.

Good point! I've thought about carrying a spare. Didn't really think about leaving it behind, but more in terms of someone else "borrowing" it when I was away. Same with my Hose Grip. I need to get a spare one of those, just in case it's borrowed without my permission. <_<

I betcha the person coming along behind you is thinking "cool, now I have a spare" or "cool, I needed one of these". Hopefully they're not thinking "what the heck is this for?" or "I don't need one of these things".

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:09 AM   #60

The great thing is that you can do it your way and I can do it my way. I made a list of the things that I like to carry and that work for me with the intention of sharing with someone who asked what they should carry. I don't expect everyone to carry the same things that I carry. Each of us has our own habits and preferences. My list of "necessaries" reflects the way I like to travel. Not everyone has to abide by my list. It is just there for their consideration. If it helps out, that is fine. It is their decision and I certainly do not expect everyone who own an RV to agree with my list.