New Trailer starter kit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 07:29 AM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
New Trailer starter kit

I've ordered my new Lil Snoozy and am waiting, waiting and waiting! While I wait, I've been shopping, shopping, shopping. I've been searching this site trying to find a posting with a recommendation for a starter kit that lists all the items I will need when I pick up. Any suggestions?
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
I've ordered my new Lil Snoozy and am waiting, waiting and waiting! While I wait, I've been shopping, shopping, shopping. I've been searching this site trying to find a posting with a recommendation for a starter kit that lists all the items I will need when I pick up. Any suggestions?

Diane, We didn't have a list to go by, but what we did was make a list of what we thought we would need in the camper. When we picked up our Snoozy we did a 'shake down stay' at a nearby campground to figure out what we really did need and didn't need.

One of the first things I did buy was a rug for just inside the door (sink area). Then small pillows for the couch, paper towel holder, TP holder. blackout curtains for the bed area, cutting board to cover the sink area, outside rugs, and a short extension powercord for the outside connection as we have camped at a campground where it wouldn't reach the shore power box by 2 ft! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are just a few things that I can think of now. Have fun shopping!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #3

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Diane, We didn't have a list to go by, but what we did was make a list of what we thought we would need in the camper. When we picked up our Snoozy we did a 'shake down stay' at a nearby campground to figure out what we really did need and didn't need.

One of the first things I did buy was a rug for just inside the door (sink area). Then small pillows for the couch, paper towel holder, TP holder. blackout curtains for the bed area, cutting board to cover the sink area, outside rugs, and a short extension powercord for the outside connection as we have camped at a campground where it wouldn't reach the shore power box by 2 ft! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are just a few things that I can think of now. Have fun shopping!
Jan...you are the best. I remember your power cord issue from FB post! Brings me to the question, what length should I buy?

My list is quite long. Most is decorative and doesn't fit needs but the NEED stuff is what I'd like to pre-purchase. Do you have a water pressure thingy (don't even know what it's called)?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #4

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Toilet paper, camera, smile.
Everything else you can pick up on the way.....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
You could get away with a regular (15 Amp) extension cord and a simple adapter (female 30A to male 15A). That adapter is also handy without the extension when only 15 Amp shore power is available. That is, of course, unless you think you would run your AC, Microwave, toaster, electric space heater, or whatever, all at the same time.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #6

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Toilet paper, camera, smile.
Everything else you can pick up on the way.....
Ha, ha...perhaps a few more things. I travel with 2 big dogs and need those supplies. I guess the princess thing needs to be taken down a notch!
Old 02-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You may consider a water pressure regulator, get one that has the gauge on it. Also one of the blue water filters and maybe a 90 degree hose adapter, depending on where the hose connector is. Get a blow out adapter if you will be where the trailer has to be winterized. Surge protector for the power connection. Ours plugs on to the campground power post and at least indicates the correct polarity. Not sure about how much surge protection. Wheel chocks and leveling blocks. Coupler lock for when the trailer is parked and a padlock for the coupler when towing.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
... Do you have a water pressure thingy (don't even know what it's called)?
Those lists can get pretty long, and most of the stuff can be picked up on the way at a Wallmart or such, as the wizard pointed out. The water pressure "thingy" is a pressure reducer. Either a plastic one (~ $5-6), or metal (~ $8 - 12). Either one should last a long time.

And, on the subject of water, I have a garden hose Y-splitter. That way I have a handy water spigot outside.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #9

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
You could get away with a regular (15 Amp) extension cord and a simple adapter (female 30A to male 15A). That adapter is also handy without the extension when only 15 Amp shore power is available. That is, of course, unless you think you would run your AC, Microwave, toaster, electric space heater, or whatever, all at the same time.
AC always when the weather is warm/hot. Probably best to go overboard now rather than be caught without later. Thanks. This is the information I must have.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #10

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
You may consider a water pressure regulator, get one that has the gauge on it. Also one of the blue water filters and maybe a 90 degree hose adapter, depending on where the hose connector is. Get a blow out adapter if you will be where the trailer has to be winterized. Surge protector for the power connection. Ours plugs on to the campground power post and at least indicates the correct polarity. Not sure about how much surge protection. Wheel chocks and leveling blocks. Coupler lock for when the trailer is parked and a padlock for the coupler when towing.
YES! That's what the thingy is called...water pressure regulator! Great list...thanks.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #11

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Those lists can get pretty long, and most of the stuff can be picked up on the way at a Wallmart or such, as the wizard pointed out. The water pressure "thingy" is a pressure reducer. Either a plastic one (~ $5-6), or metal (~ $8 - 12). Either one should last a long time.

And, on the subject of water, I have a garden hose Y-splitter. That way I have a handy water spigot outside.
It's all about those thingys. I'm writing these things down now.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Leveling blocks or device (lego blocks/Anderson/BAL).
Small bubble level (or phone app).
Extension cord & adaptors.
Fresh water hose, filter, & regulator.
Simple tool kit.
Spare fuses (assorted sizes).
12V air compressor.
Tire pressure gauge.
Gloves.
Ball grease (white lithium).
Locks for coupler and ball mount.
Anti-rattle device for ball mount.

Credit card.
Sense of humor.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Jan...you are the best. I remember your power cord issue from FB post! Brings me to the question, what length should I buy?

My list is quite long. Most is decorative and doesn't fit needs but the NEED stuff is what I'd like to pre-purchase. Do you have a water pressure thingy (don't even know what it's called)?

Diane, the one we bought is 15 ft. That's plenty to cover a shortage. We've only encountered it once and we were about 2' short. It was a lifesaver! LOL
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #14

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Leveling blocks or device (lego blocks/Anderson/BAL).
Small bubble level (or phone app).
Extension cord & adaptors.
Fresh water hose, filter, & regulator.
Simple tool kit.
Spare fuses (assorted sizes).
12V air compressor.
Tire pressure gauge.
Gloves.
Ball grease (white lithium).
Locks for coupler and ball mount.
Anti-rattle device for ball mount.

Credit card.
Sense of humor.

Love the last two! Thank you.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #15

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Some of the things I consider necessary:

Quick connect for the water hoses - I don't have a lot of strength in my hands so I could never get them tight enough so they didn't leak:

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Hose-Q...tor+Value+Pack

Elbow connector from the hose to the trailer - much easier to attach the hose with:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Degree-...ss+%2822605%29

Water pressure gauge regulator thingie:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...ater+Regulator

For connecting to the camp water connector, a Hose Grip - this is a very valuable item for me due to not having the strength in my hands:

https://rvcablegrip.com/Hose-Grip.html

I have several water hose lengths as a 25 footer wasn't long enough in at least one place last year. I also carry a 10 footer. I've done the same with sewer hoses for the same reason.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #16

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Make your Huge List of EVERYTHING YOU THINK you might need to go camping and eliminate 90+% of all that CRAP you thought you might NEED and you might just be be close to your REAL NEEDS when camping.

Don't believe me?

Just look around your current home for inspiration and look at all the CRAP you thought you needed that you NOW never use and NEVER used when you thought you needed it!

The same situation applies even more so when you go camping!!!

Enjoy the Adventure we call camping!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I carry one of those flat garden knee pads for when I have to get down to set my stabilizers. And one little item that will be for the most controversial piece of equipment, the TV, if you will use one. I have the push on type of connector on the end of my coax cable that connects to the campground plug. I've found the campground connections are usually well worn so that the coax won't screw on and stay on. One KOA that we have stayed at had the push on adapters right on the check in counter for sale.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #18

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
I started a list a few months ago when we started looking and I've given it a few updates as I've come across suggestions. This thread has some good new suggestions already.

I think your comfort and convenience needs will vary based on your travel intentions; I've left our "quality of life" items off for that reason. We plan to have everything we want to camp with stowed permanently in the trailer; that way there's no loading/unloading or forgetting. Blankets, pillows, cookware, hygiene items...My hope is that we can just stuff some clothes in a bag and swing by the grocery store on our way out of town.

I divided my list into categories. Things marked (TV) I plan to purchase or already have and will store on a permanent basis in the tow vehicle.

Roadside Repair Kit
  • Bottle jack (TV)
  • Reflective emergency triangles (TV)
  • Reflective vest (TV)
  • Tire iron (if different that TV's)

Maintenance Kit
  • Tire pressure gauge (TV)
  • Portable air compressor (TV)
  • Toolbox (not sure of trailer-specific tools yet)

Safety Items
  • First aid kit (TV)
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Wheel chocks
  • Weight distribution plates for leveling jacks
  • 3-M reflective tape for bumper

Security Items (we can't store on our property, so it will be in a storage lot)
  • Hitch lock
  • Solar lights
  • Wheel boot
Old 02-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #19

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I carry one of those flat garden knee pads for when I have to get down to set my stabilizers.

I have a couple of those in the truck for when I have to crawl farther forward in the back area. Even though it has a carpet down (and I have a couple of retriever poles), it still kills the knees.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I use for hooking up/dumping sewer and the hitch. Bending over isn't the greatest for me.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:15 PM   #20

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Some of the things I consider necessary:

Quick connect for the water hoses - I don't have a lot of strength in my hands so I could never get them tight enough so they didn't leak:

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Hose-Q...tor+Value+Pack

Elbow connector from the hose to the trailer - much easier to attach the hose with:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Degree-...ss+%2822605%29

Water pressure gauge regulator thingie:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...ater+Regulator

For connecting to the camp water connector, a Hose Grip - this is a very valuable item for me due to not having the strength in my hands:

https://rvcablegrip.com/Hose-Grip.html

I have several water hose lengths as a 25 footer wasn't long enough in at least one place last year. I also carry a 10 footer. I've done the same with sewer hoses for the same reason.
Very good suggestions. Thanks goodness, no sewer hoses (cassette). Thanks